Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Fluid Motorsports

Drives: Yaris
Question GI: Underbody Diffuser to help gain MPG

Hello Everyone. First off I want to say that this seems like a very helpful community from what I have browsed so far. Hopefully I can aid in being helpful as well.

I am the owner of Fluid Motorsports.com (.net is someone else) and I mostly cater to the MR2/VW/RX8/Subaru community. I am using my partners SN since its easier this way. I am currently in the process of making front underbody diffuser panels for the MR2 Spyder. However in order for me to buy enough plastic sheets to get the cost at a highly desirable pricepoint, I need to make at least 20 panels. I figured I would try out this forum as well since the Fits are already known for good mpg.

To give you an idea of what I am reffering to please see this this link and pic: http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2456/article.html

The rear diffuser smooths out the air from underneath and provides a smoother exit. As a bonus it also help to add downforce since the air underneath the car is moving at a much more rapid rate than the air on top. A lower car will get better mpg as its having to fight less air.

I myself have a metal skidplate (which doubles as a diffuser as well) in my 250hp AWD Golf R32 and I can now see 30+mpg on the highway on a daily basis. Keep in mind this car is heavy and shaped like a brick. 33mpg was attained in below 32 degree weather! (cold weather is not good for seeing high mpg figures)

So as you can see an underbody diffuser would help greatly. We already have a 2 door Yaris to work on so I can start making measurments. Due to shipping, the panels would come in two halves with a bent joint on each end to make attachment a cake job.

Before possibly becoming a vendor on this forum, I would like to know if there is interest for this. I dont necessarily need 20 people here but on both forums I need a total of 20 people. Price is not set but would be somewhere between 120-140 shipped. All neccesary hardware would be included. I havent decided if 3m tape will do or if screws will be necessary.

If I can get enough interest I will order a batch of sheets and begin making panels to provide pictures. Please let me know what you guys think.