Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Question Drive around town in "D" or "3" for MGP?

I keep meaning to bring this up but always forget. I was told, by a car dealer, in reference to my A/T, that I should always drive around town in "3" and only ever use "D" for highway driving. He said this is the best way to conserve fuel and get the best MPG.

True or Myth?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
PS> I have tried both for several tanks of gas in my circumstance trying to figure out what is wrong with my Yaris and its very poor MPG. I have noticed no difference, but this may be due to something being wrong with my Yaris.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Myth. Even in city driving, my Yaris goes into OD. For best gas mileage, you want it in as high as gear as possible. I only drop it into '3' when I need some extra power such as going up steep hills...
Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Put That Sucker in "D"

...and drive, Drive, DRIVE! - It will work automatically. If you go up a steeper hill, it will most likely drop down a gear or two. I live in the Appalachians in Western North Carolina, when I come down the mountain it drops down & slows the car automatically. Have driven a lot of vehicles that I had to lay on the brakes to slow down, not this one. This is a sweet little transmission...just put it in drive and GO
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I was told D3 for anything 35Mph and under.
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4248
Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
I always push mine to the right into D from the get-go. No issues as yet.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck G View Post
I was told D3 for anything 35Mph and under.
You were told wrong, it's an automatic transmission, it will decide what gear is most efficient given the circumstances.

And yes, I did say I manually downshift on occasion but I could just as easily get the transmission to downshift on its own by working the throttle.

I just find it easier, quicker and even more fun to downshift myself; but yougojay is absolutely correct, all you really have to do is put it in 'D' and drive!

Cheers! M2
Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
The only advantage to running it in 3 is in 45 and under hilly areas where it would shift into and out of OD real often.It is more of a nuisance thing than anything else.....the constant downshifting on a hill. Other than that, just keep it in D for DRIVE!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
arose62

Drives: yaris
I'm quite impressed by how smart my 2013 Yaris automatic transmission is - if I'm going downhill, and leave my foot really, really lightly on the accelerator, the fuel consumption drops to less than 1.0 l/100km, if I take my foot completely off the accelerator above 70km/h, the consumption drops to 0, and the car gradually slows under engine braking,

What I've recently noticed is that under 70km/h, if I take my foot off the accelerator completely, slight engine braking happens, with low (but not zero) fuel consumption (as if the car knows I want it to keep rolling).

But, if I tap the brake pedal, the fuel consumption drops to 0, and more significant engine braking happens. So, if I'm approaching red lights, I lift off the accelerator, tap the brake, and coast to a stop using zero fuel, whereas if I *don't* tap the brakes, I still coast to a stop, but more gradually, and using (slightly) more fuel.

These behaviours don't seem to be documented anywhere in the owners' manual.

Cheers,
Andrew
arose62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
I thought D3 is the same is a Low gear. Use for mountains, pulling something which isn't much considering the size of our cars. Not for driving around town. Your dealer should be fired.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
O.D. to coast . Pulse and glide . Good for slight grades . All these help to get better city m.p.g..
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #13
fybur
fybur

Drives: 2013 Yaris L A/T Magnetic Grey
Is it bad to drive in "3" instead of "D"??

Just a quick note, I drive an A/T and have never driven a manual so I'm kinda clueless.

Where I live its almost all steep hills, so I keep my yari in 3 instead of D when I'm driving. I also enjoy the increased pep of the engine, I get so much hate when I pass v-6's.

So how bad of an effect, if any, will this have on my tranny and life of the vehicle.

Please inform me wise car gurus
fybur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
3 prevents the AT from going into top gear, which would lower the rpms. High rpms produce more horse power, but uses more gas.

No real harm in staying in 3, but it does use more fuel, and there is more engine wear. How much? Don't know. My Kia would be at 4K RPM's at 80 mph, and that engine seemed to be still in perfect condition at 140K miles, that engine was turning fast all the time.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
I keep meaning to bring this up but always forget. I was told, by a car dealer, in reference to my A/T, that I should always drive around town in "3" and only ever use "D" for highway driving. He said this is the best way to conserve fuel and get the best MPG.

True or Myth?
Bullcrap. Put it in D.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by arose62 View Post
I'm quite impressed by how smart my 2013 Yaris automatic transmission is - if I'm going downhill, and leave my foot really, really lightly on the accelerator, the fuel consumption drops to less than 1.0 l/100km, if I take my foot completely off the accelerator above 70km/h, the consumption drops to 0, and the car gradually slows under engine braking,

What I've recently noticed is that under 70km/h, if I take my foot off the accelerator completely, slight engine braking happens, with low (but not zero) fuel consumption (as if the car knows I want it to keep rolling).

But, if I tap the brake pedal, the fuel consumption drops to 0, and more significant engine braking happens. So, if I'm approaching red lights, I lift off the accelerator, tap the brake, and coast to a stop using zero fuel, whereas if I *don't* tap the brakes, I still coast to a stop, but more gradually, and using (slightly) more fuel.

These behaviours don't seem to be documented anywhere in the owners' manual.

Cheers,
Andrew
It's called DFCO, and I believe it was in my 2007 owners manual.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:46 PM   #17
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
It's called DFCO, and I believe it was in my 2007 owners manual.
Same manual also states to only use 3/2/L for engine braking or for short period of powering the wheels, but not for extended use (aka regular driving). My understanding of the statements of the user manual so far is that 3/2/L gears are there as an option to take advantage of more controlled engine braking and for emergency manual gear selection, in case the transmission goes bad, you can still manage to drive to your destination/safe zone/repair shop with a lower gear that won't strain the damaged drivetrain too much. I don't think as of now that you should select any of the 3/2/L instead of OD for driving, as it would be the equivalent of driving a manual transmission in a single gear with the engine struggling for staying in the ideal RPM range non-stop. That's how I understand it for now.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #18
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
It really depends on what you want. Leaving the transmission in D will allow it to select the most economic gear for the speed you are travelling. Putting it in 3 will lock out the overdrive 4th gear, providing slightly quicker acceleration and more engine braking while using more fuel.

What is more important to you? Performance or economy?