Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
scoobopdan

Drives: 2008 Yaris
air intake opinions?

New to the Yaris community but now that I have one, it's time to start modding. Aside from cruise control (found an awesome DIY link on here already) my first mod will most likely be a CAI. What is everyone's opinions on intakes? What do you guys use for online shopping?
scoobopdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Intakes are practically all the same whether it be a short ram or cai. Don't worry about hydrolocking. Unless you frequently drive through 6+inches of water it won't happen.

Cai supposedly makes a nice deep throaty sound at wot.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Sound at idle reminds me of a jet engine getting ready for takeoff.

Last edited by sheekeebut; 09-30-2014 at 10:39 AM.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
I've got aem cold air intakes in both my 11' yaris and my 05' echo hatch. I've got over 150,000 km's on the aem cai in the echo hatch and I haven't had a single problem with it and it has seen all different types of weather from heavy rain to 30+ cm's of snow and not a single problem. Like Betrivent said, the CAI give an awesome growl when you open the throttle. Aem has got to be one of the best intake manufacturers out there. Their fit and finish is spot on. I've dealt with k&n intakes with my jeeps and love those too as they are a quality product but I dont think they are worth that extra buck you pay for them. And in my opinion the CAI is more effective as it brings in cooler denser air into the motor whereas the short ram is sucking in hot air from inside the engine bay. Even if it has a heat shield the air temps are much higher up in the engine bay compared to down under the wheel well where the CAI is positioned. Don't expect significant gains just a smoother power band and an awesome noise :) good luck on your search.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
scoobopdan

Aspro, thanks for the great info. That's more of what I was interested in, like which brands people have used and their opinions. I've done K&N in the past but those were in civics and what not. I didn't think to consider the other factors with the other options, so good to know. Did you have to calibrate anything after installation? What's your goto shopping site or do you buy products in person?
Old 10-01-2014, 01:35 AM   #6
aspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobopdan View Post
Aspro, thanks for the great info. That's more of what I was interested in, like which brands people have used and their opinions. I've done K&N in the past but those were in civics and what not. I didn't think to consider the other factors with the other options, so good to know. Did you have to calibrate anything after installation? What's your goto shopping site or do you buy products in person?
No calibration required. Before you start the install, disconnect the battery so that you give it sufficient time to reset. When you finish the install reconnect the batter and the ECU will automatically go into re-learn and start adjusting itself to the new intake. Idle may be rough at first and it may die on you while idling but just go out and drive it right away and let the ECU do the rest. It`s very straight forward and very easy.

As far as parts go online I order from Garm at http://shop.microimageonline.com/ he is a huge vendor on this site, a massive supporter of the Yaris community and an all around great guy. He is a good person to get info from as well and he supplies just about every performance part you can think of for your Yaris. His pricing is very competitive and always finds ways to help things work for your budget wherever he can.

Hope this helps buddy. Oh, and I was in Austin 2 years ago for the 3 day MOTOGP races over at the circuit of the Americas. Wicked track, awesome state and very friendly people. Definitely looks like an awesome place to live!

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
Old 10-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
scoobopdan

Aspro, again my man, great information! Did you let yours idle for several minutes before driving? I'll check out the site later today, thanks for the link and background info. As for Austin, I actually just moved down (hence just buying a Yaris) from Wisconsin, so now I'm sweating to death but I'm sure in a month when my facebook is filled with snow pictures and I'm sitting in 60 degree weather I'll appreciate it haha. I haven't been down to the track but I really want to check it out, I think there's a formula 1 race soon.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
aspro

I idled for about 2-3 mins and then just started driving. But you can go ahead and just give her a rip right away.

The circuit of the Americas is an amazing facility, I mean, they must have spent a ton of money building that whole facility. From top to bottom it is spectacular.

Wisconsin, eh? I feel for you buddy, being from Toronto we see similar winters as they do in Wisconsin. Last year we had this insane ice storm that literally paralyzed the city for four days. Enjoy the sunshine and warmth you lucky bastard. I'll be shoveling snow and cursing your board name whilst waving my fist in anger through the cold stale air! SCOOBOPDAN!!!!!

Old 10-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
aspro

Oh and every time you miss home just picture this poor soul Lol

That could be you bud.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Dude, need snow thrower?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #11
scoobopdan

Haha Aspro I lived in NORTH north dakota before Wisco, so I feel your pain sooooo hard. I'm assuming you're talking about the polar vortex and ya that definitely hit us hard. Everyone down here talks about their 100 days of 100+ weather last year and I'm over here like we had 100 days of below 0 this winter.... :( Sheek, there are some times when a blower won't do. Like when you wake up and there's feet of snow outside, just have to roll up them sleeves, and long johns, and undershirt, and maybe a sweatshirt, and get to work.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #12
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Oh, if blower won't do in Toronto, it must be a FREAK storm. Back in Winnipeg, I'd throw on a snowsuit, too. Considering the front door is fully snowed in, that snowsuit helps keep you nice and toasty when you jump out the upstairs window, shovel in hand, into 2-3 feet of fresh, heavy packing snow. Great for kids, not for backs.

Have you find a good CAI candidate?

Last edited by sheekeebut; 10-02-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
aspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
Oh, if blower won't do in Toronto, it must be a FREAK storm. Back in Winnipeg, I'd throw on a snowsuit, too. Considering the front door is fully snowed in, that snowsuit helps keep you nice and toasty when you jump out the upstairs window, shovel in hand, into 2-3 feet of fresh, heavy packing snow. Great for kids, not for backs.

Have you find a good CAI candidate?
Sheek you're originally from Manitoba? Dear god... Makes Toronto look like heaven on earth compared to the weather Winnipeg deals with every year.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #14
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Yeah, but to tell you the truth, spending my childhood there, the weather there was much more fun. It was really the mosquitoes there that made me glad to live in GTA. Those things were like striped, flying syringes.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #15
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobopdan View Post
As for Austin, I actually just moved down (hence just buying a Yaris) from Wisconsin, so now I'm sweating to death but I'm sure in a month when my facebook is filled with snow pictures and I'm sitting in 60 degree weather I'll appreciate it haha.
I hate to break this to ya pal but in a month from now you'll still be sweating to death!

Also, there's no worry about sucking up water through your CAI, it doesn't rain here!

Welcome to southcentral Texas!
Old 10-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #16
aspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I hate to break this to ya pal but in a month from now you'll still be sweating to death!

Also, there's no worry about sucking up water through your CAI, it doesn't rain here!

Welcome to southcentral Texas!
San Antonio! Big fan of the spurs possibly the best basketball team ever assembled. Timmy D and the boys sent lebron packing. Amazing.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
scoobopdan

I wasn't too worried about sucking air up but man where I lived in North Dakota was an hour south of Winnipeg, I feel you.....
Old 10-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #18
aspro

I'd say the only reason I would go to Winnipeg is to see the Jets play. What a crowd! The team can be in dead last with a bunch of college kids for a roster and the seats will be full, the crowd will be loud and everyone will have a blast. Sheek, you ever get a chance to catch a jets game? That would be worth a trip out there.