Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > California
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
Displaying Front Plate In CA

I am from Utah and we do have law requiring vehicles to display their front plate because two plates are issued. However, a lot of people in Utah do not display their front plate since the cops seem never care about that.

I am driving my Yaris Sedan to Los Angeles on Aug. I do know that CA also has regulation for displaying the front plate. I am just wondering if it is really strict? If I do not display the Utah's front plate in CA, will I get citation?

Thanks a lot!
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
California cannot cite you for that as your vehicle is registered in Utah, not California. Your vehicle is beholden to the laws of the State it was registered in while you, the driver, are beholden to the laws of the State you are driving in.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_fh View Post
I am from Utah and we do have law requiring vehicles to display their front plate because two plates are issued. However, a lot of people in Utah do not display their front plate since the cops seem never care about that.

I am driving my Yaris Sedan to Los Angeles on Aug. I do know that CA also has regulation for displaying the front plate. I am just wondering if it is really strict? If I do not display the Utah's front plate in CA, will I get citation?

Thanks a lot!
In Utah that would most likely be termed "Improper Display" or something to that effect. When you travel to another state you are required to conform to that states vehicles codes as they pertain to safety, and proper vehicle registration. Having that rear tag displayed with proper, and updated registration should be all you need to be concerned about. When LEO in CA see the vehicle with no front tag they will most likely consider it to be out of state, and possibly take a look in the rear view to make shore you have a back tag. So, don't do anything dumb and you should be ok.

Google CA motor vehicle code and see what you can find. Most states have a searchable data base on criminal and vehicle code.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm

Why don't folks put the front tag on in UTAH?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
It's funny, I've lived in CA for 3 years now and still haven't fully understood how this works. AFAIK you can request at DMV to be issued only 1 license plate, for the rear, so I don't see why it should be a problem for anyone. When I inquired about this, I was told, as long as you've been given 2 plates, you have to install both of them. That's kinda funny, how is anyone supposed to know how many plates I got from DMV? There is no sign on the plate, how are the cops supposed to know? They log on the DMV server and quickly check whether I'm supposed to have 2 plates or 1? I don't think so...

Anyone who can shed more light on this? Just for curiosity.
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
It's funny, I've lived in CA for 3 years now and still haven't fully understood how this works. AFAIK you can request at DMV to be issued only 1 license plate, for the rear, so I don't see why it should be a problem for anyone. When I inquired about this, I was told, as long as you've been given 2 plates, you have to install both of them. That's kinda funny, how is anyone supposed to know how many plates I got from DMV? There is no sign on the plate, how are the cops supposed to know? They log on the DMV server and quickly check whether I'm supposed to have 2 plates or 1? I don't think so...

Anyone who can shed more light on this? Just for curiosity.
Are some of the older tags in CA a single issue?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
blacksan

Here is the California Vehicle Code.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

CVC 5200 appears to deal with 2 tag display.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Again, though, if the vehicle is registered in Utah who gives a flying hooyah what California's laws are?

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
who gives a flying hooyah what California's laws are?
That isn't necessarily %100.00 correct. For instance window tint variations, mud flaps, turn indicators, and fenders on your sand rail/dune buggy are just a few examples that come to mind. When you operate your vehicle in a state your vehicle must conform to said laws to be deemed compliant to operate on their highways. The proper display of your tags might not be a charge applicable in CA, but other things like I mentioned most certainly are.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
Hey, Welcome to the People's Republic of California. Here's your welcome page:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

OK I grew up in Los Angeles and lived there 30 years... here's what I can tell ya.

Front plates are required, it is probable cause to stop you for lack there of, or any % of front window tint, or anything suctioned to your windshield ie gps or radar, or not turning on headlights when the windshield wipers are on, and everyone must be buckled up including rear passengers.

As for front plates, sure, if you're visiting they'll most likely not issue you a 'fix it' ticket, BUT not having them again is probable cause to stop you and you might get a ticket for something else.

Thanks drive safely
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead View Post
As for front plates, sure, if you're visiting they'll most likely not issue you a 'fix it' ticket, BUT not having them again is probable cause to stop you and you might get a ticket for something else.

Thanks drive safely
+1

I agree that the lack of tag could be used as PC for a stop even though you might not get charged with same.

In VA the Troopers are more likely to snag your ass for things like that as we are also required to display 2 tags. As a matter of fact the way the code is written here basically anything that is not OEM can get you a summons. That is how people with after-market (loud) exhaust get snaged.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:37 AM   #11
thomasward00

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I'll be staying in San Francisco with my fiance for about 6 months while I work a contract at Cisco, being a New Orleans resident my car is registered in Louisiana, which is a 1 plate state. I will be keeping my insurance and registration here in louisiana, I would never buy a car in california with all the emission controls.
thomasward00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:17 AM   #12
Scotty

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Haha, the emission controls huh? (all yarii have the same emission controls btw)
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:34 AM   #13
Quatro

Drives: '07 Yaris LB Manual
I live in LA and ever since I got the car (which is about 6 months ago) I've been driving with no front plate. Got pulled over once, but the cop didn't even mention it.
So I guess it's no big deal since a couple of my friends don't have front plate either and they're not complaining.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:40 AM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
not only do you have to have it on the front in CA, but it must be CENTERED. A few Scion owners from my club have been cited for this in the Los Angeles area. As for out-of-staters conforming, I don't know the law.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:22 AM   #15
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Again, though, if the vehicle is registered in Utah who gives a flying hooyah what California's laws are?
I agree a billion times.

I drive in NY without my front plates period plus the smoked transparent cover on my rear plate.

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #16
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Im trying to determine which state is currently more retarded: Massachusetts or California.

I'd have to go with California for the 'win'. My liberal brethren have really got it goin on out there!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #17
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
That isn't necessarily %100.00 correct. For instance window tint variations, mud flaps, turn indicators, and fenders on your sand rail/dune buggy are just a few examples that come to mind. When you operate your vehicle in a state your vehicle must conform to said laws to be deemed compliant to operate on their highways. The proper display of your tags might not be a charge applicable in CA, but other things like I mentioned most certainly are.
Blacksan I suspect you're a former law enforcement officer (or military officer, an MP perhaps?) with your love of firearms, your quoting of legal statutes no normal person would memorize, and your favorable backing of them constantly here. I'll bet you liked pulling people over for burned out turn signals and the like.

So with your 'logic' I have to make my car 'legal' in all 50 states and US possessions that I could potentially operate it in including Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands? Not gonna happen and would be thrown out of any court.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #18
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Front plates are only required if your car is worth less than 30K anything below that is an easy fix it ticket here in Cali Example i had my corolla one week w/ no license plate up front, BAM! TICKET my brother has his Infinity G35 for three years no license plate upfront, no ticket...it all depends on the car in my opinion. Or just bad luck... WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote