Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Yaris break-in period

Although I loved my Yaris when I first got it, I wasn't crazy about the automatic transmission; it upshifted somewhat abruptly... it felt stiff and unpleasant. I had to gently "massage" the accelerator to get it to shift a bit more smoothly.

I also wasn't so happy with the screaming little 1.5L on the highway, but that was expected.

BUT now, with over 13K on the dial, to my surprise the transmission shifts like butter and the motor is significantly quieter at cruise.

My Yaris is now a pleasure to drive.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
Yes i felt the same way after 500 miles on mine (currently 729). i don't know maybe its my head playing tricks on me, but it seems as if it revs quicker and the tranny is smoothER....
nqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I am ust over 13K miles as well and mine shifts buttery and my engine is buttery smoth too. My MPGs have also gotten better by about 3 to 5 MPG. Do you use synthetic oil? If not, now is the time to start... when it's nice and buttery!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Well, I was actually thinking about synthetic oil for my next oil change.

I know it costs more, but I heard it's better protection for the motor.

And, I understand you can go longer between oil changes.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
so it varies for each Yaris for the break-in period of the engine or what? I bought a Yaris on June 1st and have accumulated already 747 miles on it (daily commute to college and back = 60 miles).....so yeah.

It gets quiet once i reach 70 mph, and feels like butter when lane changing and whatnot.

So is there a specific break-in because I've been driving 60 mpg constantly...and have been cut off by Prius, Corolla's etc.......I'm itching to to fight back on the freeway once the engine breaks in and I can drive 65 + mph......
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Hey, Kioshi-san, keep it under 65 and save gas.

Don't get caught up in the bad attitude of California traffic! Drive slow, listen to your tunes, and just smile every time you look at your gas gauge and your wallet.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post

Don't get caught up in the bad attitude of California traffic! Drive slow, listen to your tunes, and just smile every time you look at your gas gauge and your wallet.
hahahaa dude im from jersey and i must say NJ/NY drivers (including me) are assholes on the road...the only diffrence between them and me is the fact that im a "smart asshole" or atleast thats what i get that ALOT even from my wife.. lol but i usually keep to my self doing like 60-90 untill someone cuts me off or does something stupid like no signal lane changing then i go ape shit lol and ride there ass and what not... hey i even made a mustang go around the block and come into the parking lot i was in to check out the car. go goes "how the hell did u keep up with me" i replyed "you have a 5.slow what do u expect.. lol j/k" and we went on talkign about mods and what not. but hey do you i babied her untill the mil. was at the owners manual specs for "break in period"
Old 06-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
ceres
Club Baby Seals

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post

Under 65? I HATE when people drive under the speed limit. Nothing worse than driving along the 2 lane section of the Mass Pike with a guy going 55 in the slow lane so the people going 60 are in the passing lane on a 65 mph highway.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Yep, that and the ole turn-way-left-before-I-turn-right routine, tick me off. It's like people all think they're driving 18-wheelers..so I purposely crowd them when I race by, skimming their door skins
If you need that much room to make the corner, buy a Yaris LB or a bicycle
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:40 AM   #10
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

See what I mean kimona54? Haha. But I'll try your advice for sure ;). I have been so far keeping it 60-63, but if i need to get away from the devil truck (semi trucks), then i speed up momentarily to 70mph.

To Kerkratt....yea I know what you mean. I mean if people cut me off I am ok w/ it...BUT if they cut me off and mug me w/ their head turning 45 degrees....then thats when the racer inside of me comes out. I'll cut them off, speed up, make them stay in carpool lane so they get a ticket.

To YarisTom73....yea i hate that. I mean if there are cars parked and you have to go around them to make to make that right turn, then i understand, but otherwise nope.....you should see the fragile drivers, their worse~ huge gap between them and the car up ahead and they completely slam on their brakes when only gentle pressure is needed :P
Old 06-20-2007, 02:26 AM   #11
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
....yea i hate that. I mean if there are cars parked and you have to go around them to make to make that right turn, then i understand, but otherwise nope.....you should see the fragile drivers, their worse~ huge gap between them and the car up ahead and they completely slam on their brakes when only gentle pressure is needed :P

drives me nuts!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
lostmind

Drives: 06 STi, 07 rav4, 07 yaris
my dealer told me that the yaris had no break in period. Just drive normal straight off the lot... not true?
lostmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #13
ceres
Club Baby Seals

Drives: Yaris Sedan
There's a list of breaking in suggestions in the manual so I would think Toyota suggests a break in and your dealer is wrong. Check that to see what exactly they suggest. I forget everything but I remember something about not remaining the same speed for long periods of time (meaning no cruise control at first).
Old 06-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceres View Post
There's a list of breaking in suggestions in the manual so I would think Toyota suggests a break in and your dealer is wrong. Check that to see what exactly they suggest. I forget everything but I remember something about not remaining the same speed for long periods of time (meaning no cruise control at first).
Pretty sure that was only for the first 500 miles...or was it 1500? Anyway, yeah, check that manual...it should be like your toilet-reader gospel until you know it by heart
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
Typer73
Tired of the Stars!

Drives: '07 Meteorite LB
I did the break-in period my way... didn't keep a steady speed but I also didn't baby it. I drive fast & hard & the car has to handle it. You can't be caught on the north GA highways going under the speed limit without getting run over!
Typer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:18 AM   #16
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

haha i think the same can be said about California too Typer73.
My dealer also said, these cars practically dont need any breaking-in. I was like wtf...?
In my manual it says for the first 1000 miles dont drive hard. Keep steady speed and dont drive for long period of distance/time. Thats all i can remember so far~
Old 06-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #17
lostmind

Drives: 06 STi, 07 rav4, 07 yaris
Ooops. I drove it off the lot and put 600KM on it that day. heh, road trip!
lostmind is offline   Reply With Quote