Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #307
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
OK I finally did some work to eliminate my smoke problem on cold engine starts. The problem has been getting progressivly worse as the weather gets colder. Their has been a lot of talk about where the oil return enters the pan. I dont believe that is the problem. But I admit its a possibility. My oil return was submerged in oil in the lower part of the pan. So this weekend I removed the right side axel and relocated the return to the top of the pan above the oil level. I also switched from a 1/4npt fitting and a 3/8in hose to a more free flowing 3/8npt fitting and a 1/2in hose. The thing is huge. For sure if I continue to have a cold start smoke problem, I know it will not be the return. I have finished the work and just need to fill with fluids tomarrow after my silicone drys on my oil pan. I will also take a pic. tomarrow.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #308
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
When you say 1/2in hose, do you mean a -8 AN line? The first thing I was thinking about doing was increasing the size of the line.
STANDARD AUTOMOTIVE HOSE/AN EQUIVALENT
1/4" / -4
3/8" / -6
1/2" / -8
5/8" / -10
3/4" / -12
Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #309
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
pimp, you changed the location AND the size? I think it will be hard to tell which change fixed the problem.
Id take the bet that his problem is solved. Yes it might be hard to tell since he did 2 changes @ once but the location IMO is the difference....
Old 11-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #310
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Well so far so good. I have only started the car once after the repair but so far no smoke. I will know more after I start my car to go home from work at 10pm. If this is all I needed I will be so happy. I was ready to throw down $915 for a garrett GT2554R. I thought the oil seals were bad on my turbo. The turbo I am using works great and spools really fast. The only problem I had was the smokey exhaust.
I would much rather use the cash for a vacation to Mexico

O' ya this is the artical reguarding oil drains, I read when shopping for garrett turbos on their web site. Very informative. And thanks Cdydjded for bringing this up when we talked.

OIL LEAKAGE SHOULD NOT OCCUR ON A PROPERLY FUNCTIONING
SYSTEM IF RESTRICTOR IS NOT USED UNLESS THE SYSTEM
PRESSURE IS EXCESSIVELY HIGH.

Oil Drain
In general, the larger the oil drain, the better. However, a -10AN is typically sufficient
for proper oil drainage, but try not to have an inner diameter smaller than the drain hole
in the housing as this will likely cause the oil to back up in the center housing. Speaking
of oil backing up in the center housing, a gravity feed needs to be just that! The oil
outlet should follow the direction of gravity +/-35° when installed in the vehicle on level
ground. If a gravity feed is not possible, a scavenge pump should be used to insure that
oil flows freely away from the center housing.
Avoid:

■Undulations in the line or extended lengths parallel to the ground
■Draining into oil pan below oil level
■Dead heading into a component behind the oil pan
■Area behind the oil pan (windage tray window) where oil sling occurs from crankshaft

When installing your turbocharger, insure that the turbocharger axis of rotation is parallel
to the level ground within +/- 15°. This means that the oil inlet/outlet should be within
15° of being perpendicular to level ground.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #311
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

My computer cuts fuel at 115mph. Its like hitting a brick wall. Has anyone bypassed this problem yet. I want to pin this speedo
Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #312
cdydjded

Quote:
My computer cuts fuel at 115mph. Its like hitting a brick wall. Has anyone bypassed this problem yet. I want to pin this speedo
We all have th same issue. I too want to go past the 115 limiter. Someone here install an HKS speed cut limiter remover but Iv not received a concrete answer if it worked or not.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #313
cdydjded

Quote:
Well so far so good. I have only started the car once after the repair but so far no smoke. I will know more after I start my car to go home from work at 10pm. If this is all I needed I will be so happy. I was ready to throw down $915 for a garrett GT2554R. I thought the oil seals were bad on my turbo. The turbo I am using works great and spools really fast. The only problem I had was the smokey exhaust.
I would much rather use the cash for a vacation to Mexico

O' ya this is the artical reguarding oil drains, I read when shopping for garrett turbos on their web site. Very informative. And thanks Cdydjded for bringing this up when we talked.

OIL LEAKAGE SHOULD NOT OCCUR ON A PROPERLY FUNCTIONING
SYSTEM IF RESTRICTOR IS NOT USED UNLESS THE SYSTEM
PRESSURE IS EXCESSIVELY HIGH.

Oil Drain
In general, the larger the oil drain, the better. However, a -10AN is typically sufficient
for proper oil drainage, but try not to have an inner diameter smaller than the drain hole
in the housing as this will likely cause the oil to back up in the center housing. Speaking
of oil backing up in the center housing, a gravity feed needs to be just that! The oil
outlet should follow the direction of gravity +/-35° when installed in the vehicle on level
ground. If a gravity feed is not possible, a scavenge pump should be used to insure that
oil flows freely away from the center housing.
Avoid:

■Undulations in the line or extended lengths parallel to the ground
■Draining into oil pan below oil level
■Dead heading into a component behind the oil pan
■Area behind the oil pan (windage tray window) where oil sling occurs from crankshaft

When installing your turbocharger, insure that the turbocharger axis of rotation is parallel
to the level ground within +/- 15°. This means that the oil inlet/outlet should be within
15° of being perpendicular to level ground.
Glad someone is seeing the light
Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #314
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

I can now say for sure my problem is fixed. No more smoking out my neighbors while my car warms up. And my co-workers cant call my Yaris a bug fogger any more. Glad it was a easy fix.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #315
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
I can now say for sure my problem is fixed. No more smoking out my neighbors while my car warms up. And my co-workers cant call my Yaris a bug fogger any more. Glad it was a easy fix.
Awesome. I'm gonna follow suite when the semester ends.

How's your tune holding up though? I'm still having weird richening problems.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #316
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
Awesome. I'm gonna follow suite when the semester ends.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #317
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Pics Old location of drain is the brass plug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0926.jpg (155.3 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0925.jpg (156.0 KB, 171 views)
Old 11-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #318
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

[QUOTE=Focus_Sh1ft;537902]Awesome. I'm gonna follow suite when the semester ends.

How's your tune holding up though? I'm still having weird richening problems.[/QUOTE
The oil line may be causing your oil in the intake problem. My tune is working ok, but I still need to get some bigger injectors. I always shift early to avoid going to lean.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #319
Focus_Sh1ft

Thanks for the pics

Yeah I really can't explain what's happening. Suddenly my tune was a whole point richer than what I had tuned for. Today I reset codes, plugged in the O2 sensor briefly, then unplugged it. Now I'm back at my expected AFRs. My O2 sensor might be shot as well because I got P2237 after it was in for awhile (open circuit). I've got another 2 years until emissions so no biggie

And Carlos, if both you AND Garrett end up being wrong about the return... I don't even know WHAT to think.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #320
cdydjded

Cmon! Its not just me & Garrett, its 99.9999% of the boosted world out there that have their returns above the oil line. Why must we piss against the wind?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #321
cdydjded

PIMP: Im glad you changed you set up. Noticed you are coming out of the turbo with a 90 deg, why dont you clock the cartridge so you could come straight out? It would be alot better.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #322
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
Cmon! Its not just me & Garrett, its 99.9999% of the boosted world out there that have their returns above the oil line. Why must we piss against the wind?
So I'm the .0001%? I need to get with the times.

I was worried about the whole froth thing, because it did make sense, but after seeing this it's clearly a non issue.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #323
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
PIMP: Im glad you changed you set up. Noticed you are coming out of the turbo with a 90 deg, why dont you clock the cartridge so you could come straight out? It would be alot better.
If you check that artical from Garrett's web sight, at the bottom it says turbo oil inlet-outlet should be within 15 degrees perpendicular to the ground. I have my turbo clocked so its exactly perpendicular. Thats so oil does not pool in the cartrige. Could cause more smoke
Old 11-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #324
cdydjded

Quote:
If you check that artical from Garrett's web sight, at the bottom it says turbo oil inlet-outlet should be within 15 degrees perpendicular to the ground. I have my turbo clocked so its exactly perpendicular. Thats so oil does not pool in the cartrige. Could cause more smoke
OK great, couldnt tell from the pic. it look like it was straight down to me.