Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Muscle Building

Okay, so I'm trying to gain weight, primarily muscle mass. I only weigh 130lbs, and I'm wondering which brand of protein should I get to gain muscle mass the quickest. I just went through a case of Premier high protein from Costco, and been working out everyday; one day my upper half and abs, the next day my lower half and abs, alternating. I'm also factoring price here. TIA
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
SailDesign

Drives: .
Blech! Eat real food and find someone who needs a few cords of wood chopped and stacked. Then you'll get some good all over muscules!
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Blech! Eat real food and find someone who needs a few cords of wood chopped and stacked. Then you'll get some good all over muscules!
hahaha, I'm eating 1.5-2 times more now than I normally do.

Chopped wood and stacked, huh? I don't live around anyone who is in need of that task . Plus, I'll probably miss with the axe. hahaha
Old 03-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
i agree with saildesign on eating real food BUT if you wanna gain muscle mass you should be eating every 3-4 hours and that's near impossible to do solely on real food. unless you wanna be one of those guys that carries around a cooler of food everywhere. i wouldn't worry about protein powders so much as buying some good meal replacements. that's your best bet. protein bars and shakes. and imo brand is not important... protein is protein. well, sort of. at the end of the day it comes down to what you can stand to eat or drink. make sure it's whey protein though. and for mass it's always been my rule of thumb that for every pound of body weight you should consume a gram of protein. so you should be consuming at least 130grams of protein a day.

as far as the workout you are probably a hard gainer so no working out everyday. sounds like it would make u bigger but it won't. i'd split your muscle groups up into days like chest/tri, legs/abs, shoulders/back/bi. then take a day off.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
i agree with saildesign on eating real food BUT if you wanna gain muscle mass you should be eating every 3-4 hours and that's near impossible to do solely on real food. unless you wanna be one of those guys that carries around a cooler of food everywhere. i wouldn't worry about protein powders so much as buying some good meal replacements. that's your best bet. protein bars and shakes. and imo brand is not important... protein is protein. well, sort of. at the end of the day it comes down to what you can stand to eat or drink. make sure it's whey protein though. and for mass it's always been my rule of thumb that for every pound of body weight you should consume a gram of protein. so you should be consuming at least 130grams of protein a day.

as far as the workout you are probably a hard gainer so no working out everyday. sounds like it would make u bigger but it won't. i'd split your muscle groups up into days like chest/tri, legs/abs, shoulders/back/bi. then take a day off.
Yup, I give my upper half a day off when I'm working out my lower half. Sorry if I didn't explain that right in my first post. hahaha. I also thought that it's best to have a mixed whey/casein protein???? Whey for quick metabolism, and casein for slow metabolism? Oh, and I'm also snacking on peanuts, not sure if that'll help me gain weight tho.

But man 130 g a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just taking 30 g in addition to the protein I got from food. hahahaha. Time to head back to Costco (either today or tomorrow, lol).
Old 03-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

On another note, I was able to gain 2.x lbs in a week. I weighed 128 lbs last week. hahaha. I weighed my self at the same place, and roughly at the same time.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
frownonfun

just to clarify here would be an ideal split IMO

monday - Legs/Abs (bcuz they suck and it's best just to get them out of the way first
tuesday - Chest/Triceps
wednesday - Shoulders/Back/Biceps
thursday - OFF
friday - Legs/abs
sat and sun - OFF maybe do some cardio if you are into that
monday -Chest/Triceps
tueday - Shoulders/Back/Biceps
wednesday - Legs/Abs
thursday - OFF
friday - Chest/Tricpes

and so on like that so that every week you do one of the workouts twice, once on monday then again on friday. and really if you wanted to you could make it a four day split putting shoulders by themselves on thursday and then taking three days off doing cardio on a few of them if you want and starting the split back over on monday.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:

monday - Legs/Abs (bcuz they suck and it's best just to get them out of the way first
tuesday - Chest/Triceps
thursday - OFF
friday - Legs/abs
monday -Chest/Triceps
wednesday - Legs/Abs
thursday - OFF
friday - Chest/Tricpes

and so on like that so that every week you do one of the workouts twice, once on monday then again on friday. and really if you wanted to you could make it a four day split putting shoulders by themselves on thursday and then taking three days off doing cardio on a few of them if you want and starting the split back over on monday.
Wow, do muscles really take that long to heal? Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
White Yaris
Broke Tuner

Drives: White Yaris
Eat 6 meals a day man. Try focus on eating a lots of proteins and carbs. Avoid cardios/cores exercise that way you can gain mass in better results. Also, drink a lot lots of water too. And remember its not something that would happen overnight or within a week . Good luck gain muscles!
Old 03-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Yup, I give my upper half a day off when I'm working out my lower half.
no i see what you are saying i just always preferred, and got more results from, a more isolated split. if i were to do the upper one day then lower the next i would follow those two days with a rest day. i just can't stress rest enough for us lightweights. lol. i only weigh like 145-150ish myself.

and when i say 130grams i do mean total for the whole day with what you take in with meals included.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
Klinton

Drives: 2009 Yaris sedan Flint Mica
Quote:

tuesday - Chest/Triceps
thursday - OFF
friday - Legs/abs
monday -Chest/Triceps
wednesday - Legs/Abs
thursday - OFF
friday - Chest/Tricpes

if you dont have the rest day you are going to burn yourself out but if you put in the work the mass will come i once weighted 145 now i weight 180 its all about the work you put it and eatting right

205/45/17 Nittos/ KN tyhoon 69 intake
EURO areo muffler / DF 210 Springs
NST 10% Pulley/ 15% tint
600watt rockford punch 12" subs and amp
micro image rocks!
Klinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Wow, do muscles really take that long to heal? Thanks for the tip.
genetics is usually working against us little people. bigger guys can afford to do workouts twice a day, four hours a workout but it's my experience that people with less muscle mass to begin with should stick to shorter workouts with lots of rest in between. everyone is different though. genetics is going to have a lot to with what you will be able to accomplish and how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Yaris View Post
Avoid cardios/cores exercise that way you can gain mass in better results.
and yeah i'll agree cardio wont help you gain mass but it's so gosh darn good for you that i can't recommend someone not do it.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
Duskin9

Drives: 08' liftback, 95' ///M3T
From my experience in working out if you are trying to put on mass first thing i would do is go get your bodyfat tested and have them calculate your lean body mass. To calculate this number you multiply your body weight X your body fat percentage. That number it gives you is your actually lean body mass(LBM) this is what you want to be feeding and making more of. Once you obtained your LBM you will want to figure how much carbs and proteins you should be taking in. If i'm bulking up i take around 1.5g of protein per pound LBM and i take anywhere from 2.0-2.5g of carbohydrates per pound of LBM. Keep in mind you want to stay away from simple carbohydrates (ie. sugar... ect.) Even though sugars or any fast absorbing high glycemic index carbohydrates can be beneficial first thing in the morning or after workout. During the day when your not working out you should be consuming low glycemic index carbs as in oatmeal, whole grains(bread, pasta), and brown rice and things of that sort. The split work out is a good start that you see ahead, but i would definitely do core work outs as the are essential and you will make gains faster. If you want more info pm and i can help you get into the physique you dream of! and anyone for that matter that reads this and wants some help just pm me!
Duskin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
+1

Most of the other techniques described here are for body building.

At 130 you need to take it slow. 2 pounds a week is pretty much the max you can safely lose or gain. You can permanently change your metabolism fairly easily, and then all the weight you put on will turn to fat the second you stop working out. As Duskin said, its not just about protein. Any system that doesn't recommend a somewhat balance diet is retarded.

Eat fat, protein, carbohydrates, drink water, do anaerobic AND aerobic exercise. You'll put weight on eventually. Nothing worth having is free or easy. It may seem like there are easier ways, but you always pay for it in the end.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
Creatine > WPI (Whey Protein Isolate) > WPC (Whey Protein Concentrate)

Mostly, ppl who want to gain weight (in muscle) should have protien supplements.... Creatine being the most effective. Mix with milk for better results. Mix with Juice/ water for lean protien

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
frownonfun

please don't waste your money on creatine.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #17
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
Then, the best option is to have a lot of protein based food (like tofu)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #18
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Eat steak and rice. Eat before you go to sleep. Don't do cardio. Lift heavy. Low reps, heavy weights.

ps: creatine will just make you bloated.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote