Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2024, 06:10 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: Yaris manufactured after 2007
How many wheel chocks and jack stands do I need to do my own front brakes?

I've never done my own front caliper brakes, but it does not look hard, especially if I just change the pads and rotors. But I want to do it safely, so I am interested in knowing how many wheel chocks and jack stands I need to do the job safely. I plan to do the job outside this summer on a surface that is pretty flat with very little slope. I have the OEM factory jack that came with the car new and another similar jack that came with my old 1995 Honda Civic.

QUESTION(S): How many wheel chocks do I need, 2 or 4? And how many jack stands do I need, 1 or 2? And can I use one or more 2 ton jack stands or do I need something heavier duty?

I am interested in first checking the thickness of the pads by taking the wheels & tires off and checking the thickness of the inside & outside pads. (I want to do this, because I don't trust the assessment of a local shop here that did a free brake inspection in the Fall of 2023 and advised new brakes (and calipers and struts) by the end of 2023. It is now, of course, ~6 months after that and everything is working fine and no noise from the front brake wear indicators and the car is handling fine.

Thanks,

R.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 07:11 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Just a pair of each. Set the parking brake too. I like to put the stands at the subframe near where the arrows are pointing in the picture.
When you compress your calipers, they should go in smooth and steady, if they bind up you might have a bad hose, frozen slide pins or a bad caliper. Get the hub flange as clean as you can so you won't have runout that can cause a pulsation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic04.jpg (192.1 KB, 25 views)
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 05:52 PM   #3
RMcG

Drives: Yaris manufactured after 2007
Thanks for your help and advice on this post and my previous post on doing my own brakes ex-x-fire.

R.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake job, jack stands, wheel chocks