Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Pacquiao

Drives: Yaris 5 Door Liftback
8 Questions About the 2011 Yaris 5 Door Liftback (HELP)

Sorry to be a pain folks, but I live in a semi-rural area with dial up connection and I tried my best to search for answers, but it took foreeeever... Some of these are general questions, too.

Will the JDM LED tail lights fit my 2011?

Is it easy plug in or is there re-wiring involved?

Right now, when I hit lock on the key fob, there are no 2 quick horn beeps (I'm used to this and the aural confirmation is very reassuring to me). Is there a way to turn this on? In my last car, I had the option.

Is it more efficient to coast to a stoplight/down hills/off ramps or rely on DFCO?

The Yaris has the LEAST ASSURING brakes I have ever felt on a new modern car! Is it supposed to be that squishy and non-responsive?

My Yaris feels like it holds its speed when coasting in neutral... In my last car, when I coasted, I gained speed very quickly. When I coast in the Yaris, even on down grades, it doesn't seem to gain speed and it takes awhile. My last car was a Versa, which was considerably heavier... I guess it's a physics thing... would a heavier ball roll down a hill faster than a equally sized lighter ball?

Will the sedan's stereo unit fit perfectly with the hatchback's? I really hate the stereo unit in my Yaris... the buttons are terrible.

I have a decal I really love and its printed in reverse to go on the inside of windows. If I apply the decal on the inside of the rear window (so my wiper can still perfectly clean away dust/rain/snow), will it ruin the defroster lines?

Thanks!

Pacquiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I can only answer a few of these questions..

Will the JDM LED tail lights fit my 2011?
they will bolt up but the body lines wont match. Cali Yaris and myself have pictures of the RS taillamps installed on 09-11. the rear bumper will have to come from a previous year yaris < 2008

Is it easy plug in or is there re-wiring involved?
rewire will be needed but its really simple. if you know how to use wire crimps and electic tape at the least, u will be fine

Right now, when I hit lock on the key fob, there are no 2 quick horn beeps (I'm used to this and the aural confirmation is very reassuring to me). Is there a way to turn this on? In my last car, I had the option.
I belive if you take it to a dealer and have them change the setting with thier Techstream laptops, they can change certain funtion of beeps and lights. Im sure that is one of them u can change

My Yaris feels like it holds its speed when coasting in neutral... In my last car, when I coasted, I gained speed very quickly. When I coast in the Yaris, even on down grades, it doesn't seem to gain speed and it takes awhile. My last car was a Versa, which was considerably heavier... I guess it's a physics thing... would a heavier ball roll down a hill faster than a equally sized lighter ball?
personally i believe this is a physics thing, but im not sure about this question

I have a decal I really love and its printed in reverse to go on the inside of windows. If I apply the decal on the inside of the rear window (so my wiper can still perfectly clean away dust/rain/snow), will it ruin the defroster lines?
It probably wont ruin it until you try to take it off. I dont recommend puting decals over rear defrost lines.

Im sure someone else will chime in on this also to help u out further

Last edited by ilikerice; 06-08-2011 at 11:51 AM.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Yes , coasting boosts your gas mileage . Don't need to be in neutral for increase . It's your choice . Pulse and glide helps as well . Do a search for pulse and glide to get more input .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Quote:
Is it more efficient to coast to a stoplight/down hills/off ramps or rely on DFCO?
DFCO = 0 fuel consumption. Coasting = minimal fuel consumption. So DFCO gives you better mileage. However, don't go nuts with it- brakes are meant for stopping the car, not the engine.

Quote:
The Yaris has the LEAST ASSURING brakes I have ever felt on a new modern car! Is it supposed to be that squishy and non-responsive?
Had the same issue when I first drove mine. Then again, my previous car had disc brakes on all 4 wheels. But yeah, the whole driving experience with a Yaris (and most other Toyotas) feels like driving in cotton wool- the feedback from the steering, accelerator and brakes is minimal. Then again, this contributes to a relaxed drive, which I believe was the aim.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Ha ha... I struggle with that all the time, while it's fascinating to see 350 MPG or whatever when coasting in nuetral, it's also fun to see the GPH go to ZERO while in DFCO, I just do whichever the brakes and the speed limit dictate.

My Yaris coasts great, much better then my '89 All-Trac when driven on the same route. That odd little shape appears to be pretty good drag wise!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
If you don't like the brakes, upgrading to the micro image stainless steel brake lines on the front helps significantly.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote