Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
Picky About License Plate Frames

I have yet to replace the dealer's advertising frames on my Yaris, I'm thinking of going with these (in black) front & back:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...late+frames.do

Anybody else have these frames from Griot's Garage?

Post up your sweet license plate frames!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I have carbon fiber frames from NRG. I sell them for $29 shipped each. Real carbon fiber FTW.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
Ive been told by police officers that they will use frames as a reason to stop people. I guess in some jurisdictions, if not all, obstructing the plate at all is against the law. So basically dealers are sending you off the lot with this flaw.

That being said, I have chrome frames. I have no reason to worry about being stopped. The carbon fiber would be dope.

I think the frames that include clear or tinted covers are more suspect and might attract more negative attention. They are more likely to be viewed as a way of hampering red light cameras ability to capture your plate.
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
BuildCode

So many red light cameras are being put up around here, you're right it could be seen as a camera blocker product. I might go with a standard frame to keep a lower profile.

Cali do you have a picture of the NRG frames, I don't see them in your store
Old 10-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
mythbusters did this in one of their episodes and butsed the myth... everything they tried (including sprays, covers, magnifying cover, etc.) still got busted by the camera. i think the only way they got by the camera was with a license plate the flipped around with the push of a button or with a Lamborghini going really really fast.

i can just see the expression on my face now when the cop told me a was being pulled over because of my license plate frame (i have the dealer one still too), although i have been pulled over for one of the 2 lights above my license plate on my old car being out
Old 10-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i took the dealer one that they had on the car and reversed it lol so it holds it but doesnt advertise for them
Old 10-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
ther'es one out there that's fiber optic. you can only see it from a direct angle from behind...anywhere from 15* either way and you'll get a blur. excellent for places with camera traps or radar traps
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Drives: '07 LB Polar White
Send a message via AIM to enobmort42
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
ther'es one out there that's fiber optic. you can only see it from a direct angle from behind...anywhere from 15* either way and you'll get a blur. excellent for places with camera traps or radar traps
i want one! purely for the cool factor! =P
Old 10-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
LEGATO``

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I use something like that, just minus the thick border. All mine is is a clear case with a slight blue tint to it, but it's quite transparent. I've driven with cops behind me, and driving towards me, and none have stopped me for them.

My dad has the same one on his Sienna, but it has black tint to it, and again, no cops have stopped him. We have been using ours since I got the Yaris three years ago.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
I have a yarisworld frame =) Check out my avatar
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #11
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryota View Post
mythbusters did this in one of their episodes and butsed the myth... everything they tried (including sprays, covers, magnifying cover, etc.) still got busted by the camera. i think the only way they got by the camera was with a license plate the flipped around with the push of a button or with a Lamborghini going really really fast.

i can just see the expression on my face now when the cop told me a was being pulled over because of my license plate frame (i have the dealer one still too), although i have been pulled over for one of the 2 lights above my license plate on my old car being out
totally wrong

i got blockers on my plate never got a photo radar ticket. They do work and i purposely speed up to trigger the cams to test it

they cant say it works on a show like that dude to everybody running out and buying it

the blockers I have work!

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:04 AM   #12
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
thats what I have

never been pulled over for it as well, cops here hate photo radar and we even have one of the sheriffs protesting it

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #13
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryota View Post

I had Hello Kitty frames on mine - an a-hole state trooper pulled me over for it. He was obviously bored, and didn't like Hello Kitty :/ I took it off my rear tag, but in MN we have to have both the front and the back - but since they are never going to walk around and look at the front I am just playing it safe with the back one removed; he said any frame at all is 'illegal' which I think is dumb (as long as it doesn't block any part of the tag that they need to be able to see, that is)
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #14
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I have a yarisworld frame =) Check out my avatar
I would sport that, and gladly take a ticket for it. lol Where'd you get it?
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
I would sport that, and gladly take a ticket for it. lol Where'd you get it?
custom made
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #16
BuildCode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
totally wrong

i got blockers on my plate never got a photo radar ticket. They do work and i purposely speed up to trigger the cams to test it

they cant say it works on a show like that dude to everybody running out and buying it

the blockers I have work!
lol @ you trying to trigger them
Old 10-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #17
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
its like mythbusters did a show on HHO generators .. they said you couldnt produce Oxygen from DIY generators but i've seen many videos to prove otherwise ... mythbusters isnt completely unbiased on thier outcomes.. thats for sure
Old 10-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #18
BuildCode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
I had Hello Kitty frames on mine - an a-hole state trooper pulled me over for it. He was obviously bored, and didn't like Hello Kitty :/ I took it off my rear tag, but in MN we have to have both the front and the back - but since they are never going to walk around and look at the front I am just playing it safe with the back one removed; he said any frame at all is 'illegal' which I think is dumb (as long as it doesn't block any part of the tag that they need to be able to see, that is)
definitely bored