Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #19
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I've started noticing this as well...unfortunately all the roads around my house are country roads (45mph) so I have been putting along at 30mph (RPM at about 2000) until it warms up. It results in some very unhappy people, but I don't like letting the car get above 2k anyway...especially when it's cold, and in order to get it to 45 I have to get the RPM to 3500.
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #20
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Ha... mine goes out by the time I get to the end of my street.

Looks like some people need to get familiar with their manuals... hahahaha
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #21
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
I've started noticing this as well...unfortunately all the roads around my house are country roads (45mph) so I have been putting along at 30mph (RPM at about 2000) until it warms up. It results in some very unhappy people, but I don't like letting the car get above 2k anyway...especially when it's cold, and in order to get it to 45 I have to get the RPM to 3500.

What's the purpose of doing that?
Old 11-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #22
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
I imagine it started out truly thinking he was helping his car last forever, but now I guarantee he loves every second of the honking coming from behind.... and if you have a problem with it, he'll shoot you.

Like RuffStuff said, the light goes out at the end of the street. It's not like alabama is the frozen tundra or something. Quit using your car as an excuse to take out your passive aggressive frustrations.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #23
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I imagine it started out truly thinking he was helping his car last forever, but now I guarantee he loves every second of the honking coming from behind.... and if you have a problem with it, he'll shoot you.

Like RuffStuff said, the light goes out at the end of the street. It's not like alabama is the frozen tundra or something. Quit using your car as an excuse to take out your passive aggressive frustrations.

I don't know if I should be amazed that someone would drive that way intentionally or if I should be amazed that someone would freely say that they drive that way intentionally... ignorant until proven guilty.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #24
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Ahahha.. I know where the rule of 2000 RPMs comes from.. It's from the hyper miling forums. I used to do that too with my Saturn SC2, always to keep it at 2000 RPMs as that is right where most engines get the highest efficiency.

What I used to do with my Saturn, is when I came up on a REALLY big hill, I'd put it to 2000 RPMs, before even approaching the hill. Then you gain speed and as you go up the hill, you quickly lose speed but your RPMs stay at 2000RPM (it may downshift). Then when you get to the top, you regain all your speed when you coast on the way down.. Or if the road doesn't come back down, just keep it at 2000RPMs until you get back up to speed..

I was able to hit almost 40MPG in my rated 29MPG Saturn SC2 with a 1.9L DOHC engine doing the rule of 2000RPMs..

People have taken it a step further.. If you start going above the speed limit while trying to maintain 2000RPMs, then you put it in neutral and shut off the engine but leave the key in so the steering doesn't lock and coast for a while to a much slower speed.. Then start it back up and again keep it at 2000RPMs until you're getting too far above the speed limit.. You can get ridiculous MPG. 45+ MPG in a car that's rated at 20MPG is not unusual, but at the sacrifice of car wear&tear.

Supposedly cars like the Chevy Volt are going to have a gas engine on it that always runs at it's most optimal RPMs, but it's only used to recharge the battery.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #25
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

I wonder if these hypermilers also run their houses at 95 degrees in the summer and 55 degrees in the winter? I wonder if they turn their refrigerators and freezers off when they reach "optimum" temperature? I wonder if they always take cold showers because they don't use their hot water heaters? I wonder if they light their homes with candles? I wonder if they wash their clothes down by the river? I wonder if they refuse to buy anything made of plastic?
I mostly just wonder.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 AM   #26
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

In conclusion, I wonder why non-hybrid drivers try to fake the funk and be hypermilers? Talk about obsessive behavior...
Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #27
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallstrup View Post
I've had mine for 1.5 years and just found this compartment TODAY (thanks to this post!!)
What else am I missing?!
I didn't know it existed either! Man the Yaris is a honeycomb!

Quote:
In conclusion, I wonder why non-hybrid drivers try to fake the funk and be hypermilers? Talk about obsessive behavior...
It's called saving money... Gas costs enough as it is, might as well do what you can to save yourself a few dollars. I wouldn't cause a traffic jam on a small road, but I have no problem going slower than everyone else if they can pass me. I'm not as crazy as some of the others, but I like getting over 40 mpg.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #28
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Yes, normal. It's ok to drive with the engine "cold" no need to wait for the thermometer to go away. 3 to 5 minutes to warm up is about right.

For blue Yarii, it takes a little longer, though. Just kidding. Enjoy your new Yaris :0)

no wonder lol j/k

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote