Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
You know, back in the old DOS days of low-level formatting hard drives just to get to the point where you could actually partition and format it, it was a blessing when a time saver like Windows 95 came out. Of course I used Win 98 right up until XP in 2001. I didn't even give up 98 right away! I still have an old laptop with 98 on it. I just think Vista and 7 have so much fluff and things I don't need, and both of those OS's seem like they are tailor-made for home users who want push-button convenience. As a tech I am just biased I guess. :)

I think we got a little off the topic here, where the guy wanted info about his install issues... LOL! Sorry about that. I get on my soapbox sometimes. I need to work on that.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #20
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
i agree that DOS was the best, I hated windows. Had a copy of windows 3.3 and it was absurd. Of course now you are pretty much forced to run windows if you want to play any computer games. Windows 7 is pretty awesome.

Speaking of having computers around, pretty sure I still have a 386 here somewhere. Fun stuff playing the original Wing Commander and Space Quest.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #21
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
I did a complete partition wipe and install through cd. ok so true, the first hour was roughly xp install the rest could/should be done by usb, but damn all those exceptions and updates for security....

I haven't fully gotten the understanding down on 'ghost' and 'virtual' aspects of running OS's, but I'm sure if I keep at it I'll get there. I'm slowly figuring out my way through registry editing (properly) lol. My next step is to find out where I found how to kill the hard drive access during online video playback....causes freezing of video but the audio never stops...

HAHA FOUND IT
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #22
Slick

Drives: '09 3-Dr
Send a message via MSN to Slick
I dont know what ya'll are complaining about. Win 7 64 is imo the fastest win os available. I ran my "version" on a clean drive, no problems, and I haven't even thought about going back. I love win 7 64. Yeah its a lil convoluted, but like any other program, once you get used to it its just another os. You couldn't boil me up and throw me on a prev gen win os. Everything is sooo smoooth.

Now, I will admit, I am biased. The only os I have used has been win. I started with win 95. Although, I use my rig for gaming with my 5870. So as long as I can click the icon then im g2g :) I dont care how I get there.

Edit: btw, Eyefinity is freakin AWESOME
Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #23
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
I did a complete partition wipe and install through cd. ok so true, the first hour was roughly xp install the rest could/should be done by usb, but damn all those exceptions and updates for security....

I haven't fully gotten the understanding down on 'ghost' and 'virtual' aspects of running OS's, but I'm sure if I keep at it I'll get there. I'm slowly figuring out my way through registry editing (properly) lol. My next step is to find out where I found how to kill the hard drive access during online video playback....causes freezing of video but the audio never stops...

HAHA FOUND IT
Ghosting is a image backup of the HD. Once you get your XP set the way you like, ghost it. Then when it comes time to do a reinstall, just restore the image. :)

Also, you can download versions of XP that have been 'slipstreamed'. Meaning they include all service packs as part of the installation so it's just pop the CD in and go. Use your original product key of course.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote