Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-17-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
How many watts?

Any one know how many watts the factory Canadian Yaris LE 4 speakers are?

160 maybe? It doesnt say anywhere that I can find!

Thx if anyone knows.

Jem
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
Stock speakers in entry level cars are rarefully over 20-25 watts (peak)!!

Stock sound system in my previous Altima 2005 where pretty high quality (remember it's a 30,000$ car) and they use Clarion 40W (peak)... and they sounded AWESOME.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
Lowfront

Drives: Yaris Sedan
proberly 20 watts
Lowfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmZ
Stock speakers in entry level cars are rarefully over 20-25 watts (peak)!!

Stock sound system in my previous Altima 2005 where pretty high quality (remember it's a 30,000$ car) and they use Clarion 40W (peak)... and they sounded AWESOME.
Are you kidding me?

In the Fit DX and FX models, they list their 2 or 4 speakers, respectively, as being 160 watts each (and DX is a fucking BASE model Fit)
with only the Sport Fit being 200 watts w/ 6 speakers.

Is the fucking Yaris REALLY fucking 140 watts SHORT of the bloody Fit! THIS IS ATTROCIOUS unless I'm misreading/interpreting something!

Can someone clarify this if I'm going in the wrong direction w/ my thoughts?

Jem
Old 08-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
SimmZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar
Are you kidding me?

In the Fit DX and FX models, they list their 2 or 4 speakers, respectively, as being 160 watts each (and DX is a fucking BASE model Fit)
with only the Sport Fit being 200 watts w/ 6 speakers.

Is the fucking Yaris REALLY fucking 140 watts SHORT of the bloody Fit! THIS IS ATTROCIOUS unless I'm misreading/interpreting something!

Can someone clarify this if I'm going in the wrong direction w/ my thoughts?

Jem
Let me explain... when a manufacturier display specs on something they are always try to put it bigger than it was in reality, just to attract customers. It's like fuel milleage provided in the manufacturer specs. Manufacturer tel "our vehicule take 6L/100 KM", but they take measurement in perfect driving condition, at 80 KM/h, at 20'C, on perfect level road. This is impossible to reproduce same conditions and get same fuel milleage! That's the same thing with audio... the specs tell 200W audio systems. Wow! But first of all, it's PEAK and this is a total measurement, that's mean they simply add wattage of each speaker to give a total wattage. Take your 200W, divided by 6 speakers, it's 33w PEAK by speaker... that mean around 10w RMS. Nothing very impressive!

And what is the point of your question? Why are you wanted to know wattage of stock Yaris speakers? If you plan to upgrade stereo, PLEASE, begin by changing the speakers for something better. Better is to put some component's speakers in front, and coaxial speakers on rear. 6.5" component in front is fine and 6.5" coaxial on rear is great. You don't need to put 6x9" on rear, it's a loss of money.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmZ
Let me explain... when a manufacturier display specs on something they are always try to put it bigger than it was in reality, just to attract customers. It's like fuel milleage provided in the manufacturer specs. Manufacturer tel "our vehicule take 6L/100 KM", but they take measurement in perfect driving condition, at 80 KM/h, at 20'C, on perfect level road. This is impossible to reproduce same conditions and get same fuel milleage! That's the same thing with audio... the specs tell 200W audio systems. Wow! But first of all, it's PEAK and this is a total measurement, that's mean they simply add wattage of each speaker to give a total wattage. Take your 200W, divided by 6 speakers, it's 33w PEAK by speaker... that mean around 10w RMS. Nothing very impressive!

And what is the point of your question? Why are you wanted to know wattage of stock Yaris speakers? If you plan to upgrade stereo, PLEASE, begin by changing the speakers for something better. Better is to put some component's speakers in front, and coaxial speakers on rear. 6.5" component in front is fine and 6.5" coaxial on rear is great. You don't need to put 6x9" on rear, it's a loss of money.
No real point, was just curious how stock Yarii speakers measured to stock Fit speakers for curiosity sake.

160 watts at 4 speakers divided by 4 = 40 watts a speaker. Still more impressive I guess than stock Yaris.

Just making note. I dont plan on dropping money to upgrade my system anytime soon. Other accessories have priorities on a limitied budget!

Simply taking note is all.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:55 AM   #7
twixt

Drives: 07 LB,04&06 ninja 636
Send a message via AIM to twixt
Why not 6" componants front and rear?? I just got a set of polk mmc 6500 and put em in the rear while i save up for front speakers and im running the stock front and componant rears off the deck. Idk if the deck is way underpowering them (they rate RMS at 125watts each) or if they need to break in but they dont sound good at all! sound muffled and barely putting out any mid at all. What do ya think?
twixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:21 AM   #8
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Are you positive that you have the polarity right on all four?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar

160 watts at 4 speakers divided by 4 = 40 watts a speaker. Still more impressive I guess than stock Yaris.
again, thats 40 watts PEAK. and even how a company rates a speaker at peak is inconsistant. you are prob getting 15-20 watts rms. which is pretty lame.

my saab with alpine / infinity with 90watts rms to the front and that sounded great... but even 1/2 that would have sounded decent.

a 2x50w(rms) amp with some componant speakers in the front would sound great. relatively inexpensive upgrade.
argylesocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #10
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by argylesocks
again, thats 40 watts PEAK. and even how a company rates a speaker at peak is inconsistant. you are prob getting 15-20 watts rms. which is pretty lame.

my saab with alpine / infinity with 90watts rms to the front and that sounded great... but even 1/2 that would have sounded decent.

a 2x50w(rms) amp with some componant speakers in the front would sound great. relatively inexpensive upgrade.
Sweet, ok, think I have a better idea/picture now of things.

Thank you for the info and clarification ^5
Old 08-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #11
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixt
Why not 6" componants front and rear?? I just got a set of polk mmc 6500 and put em in the rear while i save up for front speakers and im running the stock front and componant rears off the deck. Idk if the deck is way underpowering them (they rate RMS at 125watts each) or if they need to break in but they dont sound good at all! sound muffled and barely putting out any mid at all. What do ya think?

the stock deck i am sure is only putting out maybe "maybe" 10 watts, and is mostlikely closer to 5, and there is mostlikley some "hidden" exualization in the stock deck, so that the unit doesnt even send the sounds that the cheap stock speakers can not repoduce well, making the stock speakers sound beter by just leaving out some music alltogether..

say actual readouts from all of the scion decks, and they were all EQ'd real low in the lower and higher ends...wish i could remeber where i saw that..

the stock deck is under powering, and not sending full audio signal to your component set, and is definetly why they sound bad, but dont worry, to little power will not hurt your speakers in any way, but i would recomend putting the components in the front first (closer to your ears :)) and replacing your stock deck second, but if you want your components to really sound good, you should also add an external amp to them :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:54 AM   #12
twixt

Drives: 07 LB,04&06 ninja 636
Send a message via AIM to twixt
is there any other way of getting the full range out of the deck if i got a ext amp? really dont wanna change the stock deck.. dont want to attract theives.
twixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:40 AM   #13
jbll

Drives: Yaris HB 2007
Quote:
is there any other way of getting the full range out of the deck if i got a ext amp? really dont wanna change the stock deck.. dont want to attract theives.
If you don't want to attract theives, you can put a Nakamichi HU or find a scion HU. The scion HU is a from pioneer! They look very stock
jbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #14
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Or if you just happen to not wanna swap up the Yaris std deck for another. The Yaris's deck, tho simple and not fancy or cool, it fits the car real nice, and I'd not wanna chage it for another (better) deck regardless.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
SimmZ

Anyway, if you plan any stereo upgrade, begin by speakers. I carefully listen stock speakers in the Yaris and they aren't really good. They play loud, they have massive bass, but nothing else. They really miss something in mid-level and high-level frequencies. The voice reproduction is really poor with stock speakers.

You don't need absolutely to change the headunit. You can keep you stock deck and simply add a great amplifier with a high-level input converter.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #16
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Ummmmm, I think the stock speakers in the Yaris have a paper cone? Isn't that enough said right there?

They're admittedly wretched, but these are the reasons this car is so cheap. So be it, the money I saved buying a Yaris I will spend on an amazing sound system. Rock.

Change your head unit FIRST. This way when you do splurge for speakers you can actually use them to their full potential. Getting speakers and no head unit is like putting a turbo on a car with a stock exhaust. It makes no sense. I have an Alpine head unit in right now with the stockers and I was able to tune a lot of the crap low end bass out, so if nothing else I wasn't getting that horrible saturation everyone has been complaining about. However, when I do spring for speakers and an amp in the next couple months or so, I will have more options as far as how I want them to sound. Don't assume that because the speakers are high quality that you're going to pop them in your car and they're going to sound awesome. You have to tune a sound system just like you would an engine. It takes time and a good platform to build off of!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #17
SimmZ

Just for your infor. Panasonic's headunits feature an awesome 7-bands equalizer and a lot of adjustment features even of thier cheapest models. They are real greats headunits and you can get same feature as a 500$ Alpine/Pioneer/Kenwood on a 250$ Panasonic. Warranty are great also and aftersale service are great. Panasonic headunit offer a very strong construction and very reliable mechanisms. I own three Panasonic by now and I'm really satisfied. They also feature a full iPod integration for 2006.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #18
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Often ebay prices on head units are great. I got my head unit as a top of the line new model in 2003 on ebay for less than 300 bucks. It was selling for 450+ anywhere else.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote