Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #19
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
I agree with that, that's why I never use the A/C or roll down the windows when I am alone in the car. I change into shorts and a t-shirt for the drive home from work and deal with the heat when it's over 30 degrees Celsius. I also don't use the heater, but instead where gloves and a toque when it's below freezing.

When the windows are fogging I pulse the defroster on as I roll down hills whenever possible.

Some people will call these tactics "not real world". I call it working to save my money and time. I personally don't find it easy to do anything as efficiently as possible.
Wow 30 degress Celcius(86 F)? Thats a cool front down here in TX. People wear jackets on those days! Try having 105 F(or 40 Celcius) and a heat index of 120-130 F(which is what it actually feels like). With 100% humidity, simply rolling down the windows will not work. With that much moisture in the air, the sweat is pouring off of you, even if you were to drive naked! AC is a must!
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #20
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
offtopic: ^ lived in houston, tx for 3yrs. yes, ac is a must!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #21
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
I love a/c.
Couldn't care what it costs me to be comfortable.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #22
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Quote:
I agree with that, that's why I never use the A/C or roll down the windows when I am alone in the car. I change into shorts and a t-shirt for the drive home from work and deal with the heat when it's over 30 degrees Celsius. I also don't use the heater, but instead where gloves and a toque when it's below freezing.

When the windows are fogging I pulse the defroster on as I roll down hills whenever possible.

Some people will call these tactics "not real world". I call it working to save my money and time. I personally don't find it easy to do anything as efficiently as possible.
*bows down to you* I respect your devotion to FE

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #23
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreat38 View Post
I know it is a pretty simple tactic, but I hadn't really thought of this until the other day: I try not to use the A/C for FE reasons but it gets warm in my car when the sun is shining right in, so I like to pace trucks to stay in the big shadow that they cast. This way I am constantly in the shade! It's a simple yet effective way to eliminate the need for A/C. Just my $0.02

I hate to be the first one to break this to you but you are not doing your FE any favours by hiding in the shade of the truck. In that picture the shade is on the right side of the truck.

If you drive on the right side (or the left) of the truck you will get all the wind resistance coming off the front of the truck, this will cause more drag on your car and you'll need to put more strain on the engine to keep at the same speed as the truck, thus using more fuel.

As others have also said it is not safe to drive in a trucks blind spot for any amount of time, let alone deliberately staying there. I applaud you for trying to boost your FE, but trust me, use your air con and live a little.

If you want to enhance your FE skills check out Bailouts thread by clicking here, start by using Basic FE then work your way up.

I hope this helps.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #24
k2vitz

Drives: Vitz 2006
Quote:
I know it is a pretty simple tactic, but I hadn't really thought of this until the other day: I try not to use the A/C for FE reasons but it gets warm in my car when the sun is shining right in, so I like to pace trucks to stay in the big shadow that they cast. This way I am constantly in the shade! It's a simple yet effective way to eliminate the need for A/C. Just my $0.02
Simple tactic but very dangerous. I will put on AC if it is hot than to drive in the shadow of that big rig.
k2vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #25
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Wow 30 degress Celcius(86 F)? Thats a cool front down here in TX. People wear jackets on those days! Try having 105 F(or 40 Celcius) and a heat index of 120-130 F(which is what it actually feels like). With 100% humidity, simply rolling down the windows will not work. With that much moisture in the air, the sweat is pouring off of you, even if you were to drive naked! AC is a must!
You only think AC is a must, there are plenty of people who live in hotter areas than that and have no AC. I'm not saying I wouldn't use AC if I was in your climate, but you don't have to have it. 30 degrees plus is the ambient temperature, the interior of the car gets up to mid 50's in slower traffic. I've been to Houston so I know what that kind humid heat is like (but I obviously don't have to deal with it everyday) and I've also live in Winnipeg for many years where I have experienced ambient temperatures from -62 celsius (My car barely started that day even though it was parked in an insulated garage) to +40 celsius. I only turned the A/C on in my house when the computer starts to crash from the heat. My point is, nothing is a must, we just get used to it. In my opinion the more you use A/C, the more you have to use it. If you don't have that option, you get used to it. I was in Phoenix a few years back and I couldn't believe how the locals wouldn't go golfing because they thought it was too hot. They all stayed home with their A/C cranked. I got to golf amazing courses almost by myself.

Not trying to change your mind, just give you a different perspective. I think my car is a must, but we could sell the car and I could waste 2 hours+ more a day on a Mass transit commute. I could deal with it if I didn't have a choice, just like I think you could live without A/C if you didn't have it.

Your body can acclimate to nearly anything if you let it.

I personally think A/C is bad for our health and wish it was outright banned or strongly controlled. Stores and offices are insanely cold with their A/C cranked, front doors open when it's only mid 20's in the summer. Someone like you would come here and probably not understand why the A/C is on at all, just like how some people from a desert in Africa would come to Texas and not understand why you're wasting all those resources on A/C. It's all about perspective and what your options are.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:17 AM   #26
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
*bows down to you* I respect your devotion to FE
Don't respect me, respect the masters at CleanMPG. Their are some people in that community who sacrifice every convenience to save every ounce of energy, because they believe it's the right thing to do. I do it mostly to save money, so I don't deserve any respect. It does make it easier to engage in these actions knowing the off shoots are all positive for everyone though.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #27
b_hickman11

Quote:
You only think AC is a must, there are plenty of people who live in hotter areas than that and have no AC. I'm not saying I wouldn't use AC if I was in your climate, but you don't have to have it. 30 degrees plus is the ambient temperature, the interior of the car gets up to mid 50's in slower traffic. I've been to Houston so I know what that kind humid heat is like (but I obviously don't have to deal with it everyday) and I've also live in Winnipeg for many years where I have experienced ambient temperatures from -62 celsius (My car barely started that day even though it was parked in an insulated garage) to +40 celsius. I only turned the A/C on in my house when the computer starts to crash from the heat. My point is, nothing is a must, we just get used to it. In my opinion the more you use A/C, the more you have to use it. If you don't have that option, you get used to it. I was in Phoenix a few years back and I couldn't believe how the locals wouldn't go golfing because they thought it was too hot. They all stayed home with their A/C cranked. I got to golf amazing courses almost by myself.

Not trying to change your mind, just give you a different perspective. I think my car is a must, but we could sell the car and I could waste 2 hours+ more a day on a Mass transit commute. I could deal with it if I didn't have a choice, just like I think you could live without A/C if you didn't have it.

Your body can acclimate to nearly anything if you let it.

I personally think A/C is bad for our health and wish it was outright banned or strongly controlled. Stores and offices are insanely cold with their A/C cranked, front doors open when it's only mid 20's in the summer. Someone like you would come here and probably not understand why the A/C is on at all, just like how some people from a desert in Africa would come to Texas and not understand why you're wasting all those resources on A/C. It's all about perspective and what your options are.
Well I still get 44 mpg with the AC on full blast and no hyper techs. In the long run it will save me money. If I didnt run the AC, I would have to have my seats professionally cleaned about once a month because they would be smelling from the sweat constantly soaking into them. So some things are a must. No AC and get a few extra mpgs or spend hundreds of $ a year cleaning seats? AC is a must.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #28
smacky

Drives: 2008 Liftback AT
AC and windows

Before the hack there was some great data collected that showed FE with windows open or AC running at various speeds. It showed across the board that the AC used more fuel than driving with the windows open. Bailout has come to the same conclusions and my experience with the Scangauge corroborates it as well.
It's different for different cars, Mythbusters did a show with some SUVs and they got better FE with AC running. But I'm pretty sure this is due to their bigger engines.
It can get pretty hot here in Utah too, but 100 degrees here is not the same as 100 degrees in the southeast. I can't say what I'd do there, only the best I could.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #29
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Also, driving alongside the big rig, it might kick up some gravel and stuff from off the road and onto the side of your car. I work in an industrial area where a lot of big rigs drive up and down the street basically all day long. No one working at my company wants to park their personal vehicles on the side of the road because the big rigs kick up gravel and leave tiny dents/paint chips on the sides of cars as they're driving past. I'd rather just use my a/c than deal with paint chips or a possible safety hazard.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #30
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
according to mythbusters anything around 30-35 plus = better eficiency with AC versus windows down

Note- **The above statement is one proven by busters of myths, and in no way reflects the opinions of at3gg or his non existent affiliates.**

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:07 AM   #31
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by at3GG View Post
according to mythbusters anything around 30-35 plus = better eficiency with AC versus windows down

Note- **The above statement is one proven by busters of myths, and in no way reflects the opinions of at3gg or his non existent affiliates.**
I wish that the Mythbusters had gathered some useful data before they aired that episode, and so do they. There was such a negative backlash from it that they revisited it later that same season with a much more correct and accurate test and totally debunked their earlier findings. They found what logic tells one one is true: That the a/c causes more of a negative effect on fuel economy in any vehicle and at any speed than having the windows down.

For some reason it seems that most Netizens managed to see that first, incorrect episode but somehow managed to miss the second, corrective one.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #32
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Second one's not on the DVD sets either AFAIK

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #33
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I wish that the Mythbusters had gathered some useful data before they aired that episode, and so do they. There was such a negative backlash from it that they revisited it later that same season with a much more correct and accurate test and totally debunked their earlier findings. They found what logic tells one one is true: That the a/c causes more of a negative effect on fuel economy in any vehicle and at any speed than having the windows down.

For some reason it seems that most Netizens managed to see that first, incorrect episode but somehow managed to miss the second, corrective one.
Maybe another company came in and paid more money for them to make up some untested results....
Old 12-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #34
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
YouTube clip please?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #35
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
Quote:
This has been proven false by everyone I know of who has a scan gauge and a Yaris. In fact, you will find from people who have hard data that it's actually more FE to roll your windows all the way down than to use your A/C at any speed.
thanks for clarifying it because this is my first thought, both might have negative effects on fuel consumption but i would think lowering down the window is lesser...inihaw, now that i'm living in d best weather socal i don't think i will be using the a/c!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #36
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
YouTube clip please?
I was wrong about the episode placement. The more accurate test showing that windows down is better than a/c was actually in the same episode where the computer measurements showed the opposite. I thought it was in a revisited myth episode later in the season, but that was just a "flashback" to that segment used as a lead in to another fuel economy myth.

That episode, or at least those segments, are not on YouTube (likely due to takedown notices - say, "Thank you, DMCA") but here is a Wikipedia page speaking about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBus...._Windows_Down

And here is a more in-depth explanation of the episode: http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2004/11/m..._catapult.html (scroll down to "Windows down vs. air conditioning")

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote