Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #271
blueswan

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Thanks CTScott, appreciate it.

Regards,

Chris.
blueswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #272
da1nonly

Drives: yaris hatchback le
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueswan View Post
Can anyone tell me where I would access the Canadian version of the TSB? My ! and ABS light just came on last night driving home in a snowstorm. I'd like to just replace the necessary parts rather than the whole assembly if I can, the dealership of course quoted me for the hub & sensor wiring.

Can I get instruct them to replace just the sensor wiring? How will I know that it is just the wiring and the hub is not required? I'm no techie with cars so I wouldn't know if thats a reasonable request.

I have a 2007 Yaris with 170,000 km on it.

Any advice would be appreciated, keeping in mind that I am not knowleadgeable about cars.

Regards and thanks,

Chris.

see my post #251 on page 14 for details on the canadian TSB

The TSB (CDN version) the number is:
TSB3027 (issued July 3, 2008 revised on March 19, 2010) - Canadian TSB Version
DTC (diagnostic trouble codes)
C0210 - Rear Speed Sensor RH circuit
C0215 - Rear Speed Sensor LH Circuit

I have a printout of this TSB and can scan it. Can we post pics here?
da1nonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #273
maison
I've made a post!

Drives: 2005 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyabheda View Post
I am new here and my car (2008 yaris) did that yesterday- with both abs and ! coming on..They told me 2 wks for the part. 2 $%&*^@ wks without a car.. and they dont offer any courtesy vehicle at all.

Ohh well next time i will go for a honda..which i had before
I just got the !emerg lite and ABS on today. 2008 Yaris with 30,000km, dealerserviced from day 1. Un-freaking believeable. I actually thought this thing would run like a top for the first 10 years.

Since the repair will cost about 10% of the cars value, and the only thing I'm losing is the ABS function, it makes zero sense to repair this.
Have to say, looking at this thread and the fact that there is no recall/repair for a fix, this will be my last Toyota. I've had 2 camrys (93/96) and a Sienna, but if this is an indication of their commitment to quality, I'm no longer interested in the product.

As they say, it takes years to build trust and a moment to lose it. (yeah I'm pissed )
maison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #274
blueswan

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Thanks da1nonly:

I'm going back to the dealership and will ask if each part of the three-part system (wiring, sensor and hub) was examined to find out which part is faulty or if they just plugged into the comp and got the error code: I don't mind paying for necessary repairs but I'm p.o'd with the idea of paying for the whole sensor system unnecessarily.

Can I demand to see the TSB at the dealership? Can I instruct them to do the repairs per the TSB, unless they can prove to me that the whole system needs to be replaced?

Don't laugh, but is there a possibility of getting this done at Canadian Tire? I've gone there for my regular maintenance because they're more woman- friendly than my rather macho dealership. I've had reliable service from my local C.T and I research things very carefully when I take my car in - they've never tried to oversell or con me into doing more than I need and answer my questions fully and in layman's terms. They also stand behind their work as I've already had occasion to find out.

Cheers and thanks for your help.

(edited to add - a scan of the TSB would be great!)
blueswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #275
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
If you're comfortable poking around under the car, cleaning the crap out of the sensor can help too. Or you could take it to a garage you trust and ask a mechanic to clean the sensor for you. It may be worth a try to save all the money.

I cleaned mine at the end of December and I haven't seen the lights on since (knock on wood).
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #276
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
just to clarify, is the problem with the sensor itself or is it the connector?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #277
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I thought the problem was that a gap in the weather seal around the connector would allow the salt spray from the road to get into the spot where the wire harness connects to the hub. This impedes the electrical signals and causes the warning lights/ABS failure. That's why cleaning the gunk out and then protecting the gap with dielectric grease can help, if the salt hasn't already corroded any of the actual parts.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Dave; 01-25-2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #278
bcolwill

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4DR Hatchback
Possible Resolution

I have a 2007 Yaris which I purchased from my mother-in-law in December 2009 with only 3500 KM on it. Not long after I had the same problem as many here. Brake lights on and disabled ABS when driving in salt & slush. I was able to obtain the code pointing to a rear speed sensor. This past summer I purchased some dielectric grease at CDN Tire, removed the connectors at the rear wheels, filled the stationary end full of the grease and plugged them back in. Since I have done that I have yet to see the problem appear again.
bcolwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #279
shorenetworks
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Scion Xb
This is Chris checking in from scionlife.com with a 2008 Scion Xb at 109K miles

Was having the same issue as described + TRAC and VSC.
Pulled the connectors of of the rear hubs cleaned and covered in dielectric grease problem solved!!!!

Also on the passengers side connector there was clear signs of corrosion.

Looks like Toyota shared the same parts bin for us.
And I will be filing a complainant with the http://www.nhtsa.gov/
as this is clearly a safety issue and I do believe that I am done buying Toyota!!!!

I will be posting this thread up on scionlife due to the fact that plenty of people just started having the same issue.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this as it has save me at least $800.00 USD
shorenetworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #280
spann1

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
2007 YARIS ABS FIX

My 2007 Yaris has 41,000km (my kids drive it between University and Home) and I have had zero problems with this vehicle up until last week when I brought it in for the twice yearly oil change.The very next day the ABS light came on!

I googled and found this site and after reading all the Yaris ABS issues with sensors I went back to my local Toyota dealer and had the car hooked to the computer for $59.88+ tax, and Toyota reported the following:

cause: retrieved codes C0210 and C0215 speed sensor malfunctions.

correction: requires both rear speed sensors. $827.00 + tax.

I told the service advisor, I should not be responsible to pay this amount for a known technical fault especially since there is a Toyota Technical Service Bulletin from June 27th 2008 and secondly was not very happy that as a Yaris Owner was not even advised that there was a problem with the ABS sensors.

The Service Advisor agreed to contact Toyota Canada for a possible "Good Will Jesture" on the repair costs.

Toyota Canada agreed to pay 60% of estimated costs, my local Toyota dealer said since I serviced the vehicle always at the dealer, the low mileage & age of vehicle, they would also kick in 20% so I am left paying 20% for the fix.

Not exactly satisfied that this is free but I am happy to have this resolved
for $165.40 versus $827.00!

The car is being repaired in next few days.

Thanks to all the Yaris owners who made this information known.

Other than the ABS sensor this is a very reliable car, the best I have ever owned.

P.S. The car will still brake without the ABS just will not have the ABS function, some owners I read would not drive the car until fixed, I found that really funny.
spann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #281
bqsantos
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
First attempt at DIY fix

Hello:
Just before snowmaggedon here in T.O. I tried the DIY fix as recommended in the thread.

I removed the tire to get to the connector, but I could not get the cover off. I'm not sure if I had my screw driver in the proper spot to remove the cover.

Does anyone have any pics/video of what things will look like after you get the cover off. Trying to figure out how the cover opens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...
bqsantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #282
dwrf6

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Wow, glad to find this board.
I've got a 2007 Yaris 32 000km.
I had the brakes fixed in '09, dealer in Toronto covered it, with a list of clever question for me.
Had 14 000km at the time.
Year later, same issue, insufficient use of the vehicle caused the brakes to need repair again.
Full kit, pads, rotors(rusted and pitted too bad) and whatever else. 20 000km
I had to pay this time $750.

Well a good morning to me, started the car to the two board lights show up.
Not on when parked day prior.
"ABS" and "EMERG Brake", I personally prefer no ABS, obviously not working now.
Thanks for the info SPANN1 on the dealer visit.

What's my options? Can I use it without causing anymore issues?
Will the dealer find out that I disregarded the issue and then try to turn it on me.
Is this still covered under warranty?
Thanks
dwrf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #283
I've made a post!

Drives: 07 Yaris
Hi ,

I got the same problem with my 07 Yaris. It happened to me last year and this year again. I am expecting to see this problem every winter. First Canadian insurance company is not covered because tech found the water in harness. Yes you will. I am driving in the snow.

Yaris is not good for snowy drive. Toyota shouldn't sell the yaris in some province in Canada. AB, SK, MB, OT and QC.

If they want to, they should make it water proof or something for sensor and harness.

I believe Toyota Canada should take responsibility for this. We Canadians are less protected by Consumer Law. We don't have Lemon law and we never complaint like Lexus in states.

I will see what I can do about it. I will spread this message through all of my social network, face book, tweeter and so on. My trust on Toyota is eventually going down.

Mr. Toyota your name is on my car you should be taking care of this.

From Canada
005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #284
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
I started having this problem for the first time this winter at 160K mi. and I appreciate the forum here to allow me to get it looked at, I am hoping its just limited to the harness and not both, but I am having an independent shop look at it right now for free, they said they would have to get the parts from toyota and there would probably be no difference in cost. But they will see if its anything they can clean up and put a temp fix in the meantime. I have a sedan 2007
Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #285
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
lol, I've been driving with the lights on for over a year now ... I can't for the life of me notice a difference with ABS on or off.

I just hope this isn't an insurance issue - when I have time this summer I will take the tires off and clean the sensors, but no way am I paying $800+ to get them fixed at the dealer.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #286
Gman

Drives: 2008 yaris
Reading all these post all the way from 2008 has made me sick to my stomach, especially since there has been no recall after all this time. I also have the same problem, with the warning lights going on and off all winter. I can be driving and they will go on, and then 15min later as I continue to drive they go off. Two times this winter, I have also experienced my Yaris not slowing down at all when breaking on snow, even though it sounded like the abs was working, and both times I came extremely close to smashing into the car in front of me. This has lead me to not trust my brakes at all in slippery conditions.

I am hoping it will get warm enough this week-end so I can try the cleaning idea. Thanks to all who have posted in this thread with advice.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #287
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Reading all these post all the way from 2008 has made me sick to my stomach, especially since there has been no recall after all this time. I also have the same problem, with the warning lights going on and off all winter. I can be driving and they will go on, and then 15min later as I continue to drive they go off. Two times this winter, I have also experienced my Yaris not slowing down at all when breaking on snow, even though it sounded like the abs was working, and both times I came extremely close to smashing into the car in front of me. This has lead me to not trust my brakes at all in slippery conditions.

I am hoping it will get warm enough this week-end so I can try the cleaning idea. Thanks to all who have posted in this thread with advice.
Sorry, but this problem with the wheel speed sensors will have no effect on you brakes not working. So if you're that concerned about the safety of your vehicle, why haven't you taken it to the dealer?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #288
Gman

Drives: 2008 yaris
My brakes not working correctly happened while the two lights were "off". When the light are "on" I have no ABS, and like some others have said, I actually would prefer not to have ABS in the winter, and only have it when the pavement is not slippery.

As for why I have not gone to Toyota, I am not interested in paying close to $90 just to have them plug the car into a computer, and simply put, do not have the cash to pay that much money to just find out what is wrong and not actually make any repairs.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote