Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I missed my egg!

So I was in Portland, OR all week for software training, and had the opportunity to rent a '12 Mustang. Wow, totally the wrong car for that town: no visibility out the sides/back, terrible acceleration lag (auto trans), miserable turning radius, etc. Every 10 minutes I saw a Yaris, Echo, Smart For Two, Fiat 500, Mini Cooper, or something like that.

So it almost goes without saying that I was THRILLED to get back behind the wheel of a vehicle that was meant to be driven in places other than a test track, and not just seen in a showroom/magazine.

What's your current least favorite car?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Easy....the Prius!

The car is a fraud. It costs five times as much to own as it saves in gas over 100,000 miles compared to a Yaris.

($10,000 more than a Yaris and it saves $2000 of gas over 100k miles)

Last edited by bronsin; 03-12-2012 at 07:54 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
There are several, but the new Nissan Juke makes me want to puke!

And I know how you feel, I travel a lot for work and get to drive a wide variety of rental vehicles. Some aren't too bad (a Corolla recently in Albuquerque, and a Avenger in Colorado Springs) and some not so much fun (minivans, usually). I am always happy to get back to my beloved Yaris!

Cheers! M2
Old 03-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Not that its made anymore, but the Dodge Neon. I had to rent one for a family funeral a few years ago and it was horrible. The front bucket seats felt like unbalanced balloons that your butt would slide left or right on.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
A couple years ago, I rented a Dodge Caliber when I went on a business trip to Wisconsin. When I first got in it, I thought, "hey, cool, it's a hatchback, just like my Yaris." It was comfy and it drove fine, but my goodness, the blind spots were so horrible. No amount of adjusting the side- and rear-view mirrors would compensate for it. The rear-most pillars (C-pillars?) were very wide. Checking behind me for cars before changing lanes on the freeway was like looking through a tunnel. At one point, I nearly got into an accident. Someone honked at me when I attempted to change lanes. I couldn't even see the car that honked at me, the visibility was that bad.

Anyway, that's the worst car that I've personally driven.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
2o6

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Dodge Caliber, hands down. It's horrible to drive, exceptionally cheaply made and it's slow.
2o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
any fake american car put out by american companies that has no content that even came from anywhere near the US. Far too many so called american cars qualify.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I really haven't driven that many cars, but I don't particularly like the Smart Fortwo car. For its size, seems like it should be more efficient. It's kind of obnoxious in that it's so small yet so inefficient. I despise the Nissan Cube. I've never been crazy about the Mini Cooper, either.
Now, as an aside, the worse cars I've ever owned hands down have been American cars plus the VW Golf. If I can help it, I'll never own another American car or VW.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
corolla and any american cars
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Hmm ... Some of the more disappointing new cars in my opinion:

• Smart ForTwo
• 2012 Honda Civic Sedan/Coupe (excluding Si)
• Toyota Corolla
• Toyota Matrix
• Scion xB
• Nissan Altima Coupe
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I used to travel a lot, and therefore had an opportunity, over the years, to tryout many cars via the rental companies.

One particular car stood out as the worst I ever drove.

I had reserved a compact in Phoenix and when I went to pick it up, I was told they did not have one available and ask if I would accept a bigger car at the same price. I said sure and was given the keys to a 1999 Cadillac Coupe DeVille.

I had to drive it to Tuscon that night and headed out on the Interstate. I noticed I was near new with only 2k on the ODO.

First thing I noticed was a shudder when I reached 65 mph. I should have turned around and taken it back right then, but I was anxious to get to my motel and get some rest.

I had to drive the thing about 20 miles each day for a week. The next thing I disliked was the semi-bench seat in the front. Hard, cold and uncomfortable.

The ride was okay, but the steering was frightfully vague. It just seemed like a big, sloppy car that reminded me of an old '70 Ford LTD I once owned.

My personal car back then was a '91 Accord that had 80k on it and I remember thinking it was much more drivable, comfortable and refined than that new Caddy. I was glad to rid myself of that wallowing boat.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
The last time I rented a car was 2009, it was a new 4 door Chevy Aveo. No power with the a/c on, and used way too much gas for a 4 cylinder. This was before I purchased my 2010 Yaris and I couldn't wait to get back home to my old 1997 Chevy Cavalier.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote