Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
flav

Drives: YARIS T-SPORT 2001
Zage Turbo Kit - updates

Hello forum,

I'm new to Yaris World so I sincerely hope I'm not breaking any forum rules right now.

I'm the happy owner of a 2001 Yaris T sport 1nz-fe with 200.000 km on the odometer. The car is a bundle of fun but I know it can do way more than that.

I've read all that I can find on forced induction and a good & relatively cheaper idea for 150 bhp would be a Zage Turbo Kit.

I would like to hear your opinions (updated after some usage). Like how many km/miles have you done with it, how has reliability been, do's & don't's and so on and so forth.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I know there are already some guides going into much detail but I'm more interested in the long term usage and afterthoughts.

Thank you,
Flav
flav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:01 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flav View Post
Hello forum,

I'm new to Yaris World so I sincerely hope I'm not breaking any forum rules right now.

I'm the happy owner of a 2001 Yaris T sport 1nz-fe with 200.000 km on the odometer. The car is a bundle of fun but I know it can do way more than that.

I've read all that I can find on forced induction and a good & relatively cheaper idea for 150 bhp would be a Zage Turbo Kit.

I would like to hear your opinions (updated after some usage). Like how many km/miles have you done with it, how has reliability been, do's & don't's and so on and so forth.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I know there are already some guides going into much detail but I'm more interested in the long term usage and afterthoughts.

Thank you,
Flav
Welcome!

Always nice to hear about new Yaris forced induction projects. I can't be of any help with the Zage kit as I have no experience with it. A lot of the folks that installed that kit are long gone, but there are some guys here that may be able to shed some light on the kit and it's reliability and longevity. Best of luck. We always love a good build thread, so here's hoping.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
flav

As far as I can tell, the kit is pretty reliable, considering it's very low price point.

There's another issue: I just realized on Zage's website it says the kit is for 1NZ-Fe 2005-...

I have a gen 1 yaris, manufactured in 2001. You guys think the kit is compatible? Most forced induction users own the next gen AFAIK. Are there major differences between the 2 as far as the engine positioning, hood space etc go?
Old 07-31-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
lani100

Drives: Yaris T sport TRD turbo
Quote:
As far as I can tell, the kit is pretty reliable, considering it's very low price point.

There's another issue: I just realized on Zage's website it says the kit is for 1NZ-Fe 2005-...

I have a gen 1 yaris, manufactured in 2001. You guys think the kit is compatible? Most forced induction users own the next gen AFAIK. Are there major differences between the 2 as far as the engine positioning, hood space etc go?
Yes it is compatible.
One thing to keep in mind, my friend runs one and he stumbled onto the issue that the wastegate couldn't fully open as it would hit the downpipe he also had some boost creep issues so keep that in mind.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:30 AM   #5
flav

Isn’t the wastegate internal on this turbo or was the actuator hitting the downpipe? How did he solve this issue: different positioning, modifications? Boost creep may be just a side effect of the wastegate not opening sufficiently to release the exhaust gasses...
Old 12-21-2020, 01:19 AM   #6
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
Quote:
Originally Posted by lani100 View Post
Yes it is compatible.
One thing to keep in mind, my friend runs one and he stumbled onto the issue that the wastegate couldn't fully open as it would hit the downpipe he also had some boost creep issues so keep that in mind.
I'm actually running into a boost creep issue with mine right now! Was gonna figure out an external solution and have a downpipe made slightly bigger then the Zage with an external gate. I would assume weld the internal shut right?

edit now that i read more into it. it gets removed and you weld a pipe back into the exhaust and add the gate further down..

Last edited by Jerkratt; 12-21-2020 at 01:39 AM.
Jerkratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #7
lani100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkratt View Post
I'm actually running into a boost creep issue with mine right now! Was gonna figure out an external solution and have a downpipe made slightly bigger then the Zage with an external gate. I would assume weld the internal shut right?

edit now that i read more into it. it gets removed and you weld a pipe back into the exhaust and add the gate further down..
My friend had the same issue, problem is that the wastegate won't fully open due to poor downpipe design.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:07 PM   #8
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
Quote:
Originally Posted by lani100 View Post
My friend had the same issue, problem is that the wastegate won't fully open due to poor downpipe design.
Might be it. I'm trying a few things first. One being a new wastegate. As I'm also in the process of getting my car legal again to pass inspection. Haven't had her in 3 years. Gotta clean her up. Bunch of stupid stuff not working like HVAC Lights ect.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:26 AM   #9
Shahriar

Drives: Toyota Succeed
Zage turbo kit

Hello every one. I m new in this forum. I recently turbocharged my 2004 toyota succeed. I have some quary about my project. I m using zage turbo kit. I m hearing some type of fluttering sound with bov which is given with the kit. I want to know that is it normal?
Shahriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:51 AM   #10
flav

1 year later I finally made up my mind to turbo my little pocket rocket (yaris ts 2001 200k kms). Decided to source everything from nearby sources. The zage kit is 1300$ shipping included and I’ve heard that not all parts are good anyways. I think I cat build it cheaper, given the fact that I work in a workshop.

I was thinking about a german turbocharger like a K03, some random intercooler and custom made piping (got a friend at a welding shop). Where it becomes unclear to me is the EFI. Is a piggyback enough? I’ve seen some AFR tables on this website, that would be a good start. How do I control the turbo wastegate? Where do I mount the MAP?

Are the stock injectors good enough? Is the stock air filter suitable? Can I mount any turbo on the exhaust header? What about the wastegate and the lambda sensor? Open/closed loop?

I’ve got like a million questions and I’ll keep asking them on the go!

Thank you so much!
Old 11-29-2021, 01:04 PM   #11
lani100

Ebay turbo manifolds are cheap, so are used intercoolers.
Better spend a bit more money and get a standalone, saves you so much issues and car will run safer.
2zz injectors are good enough.

Not any turbo can fit it depends on the manifold flange used.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #12
flav

I don’t have 1zz injectors. I have the 1nz-fe engine, bone stock. I can see you have the same engine with TRD turbo. Did you change the injectors?
Old 12-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #13
lani100

Quote:
I don’t have 1zz injectors. I have the 1nz-fe engine, bone stock. I can see you have the same engine with TRD turbo. Did you change the injectors?
TRD turbo uses 2zz yellow injectors.