Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2020, 10:04 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
New brake caliper installed

So, as things often go, and lend credence to the ol' saying, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke", my brake recent brake flush hastened the likely impending failure of one of my calipers. After some extensive city driving - Fredericton, NB, Canada is a very hilly city - I started to experience a creaking/scratchy sound during light braking. The sound was directly proportional to speed. I noticed that my passenger side caliper and wheel were quite warm. I wasn't positive that it was the caliper, but lucked out as the noise disappeared after the install. Since these things tend to go in pairs, I'm doing the driver's side tomorrow. At $88.00 a pop, it seems like a no-brainer to me. I normally bring a small set of tools with me in the trunk, but didn't have a 17mm socket. Fortunately, my bro-in-law had a 17"" wrench. I love my home shop as I always have access to the tools I need. It's not much fun doing a brake job with the car sitting on a scissor jack. Actually 2 scissor jacks. Somehow my RS ended up with two jacks - one under the seat and one in the trunk, I used them both on the same side about a foot apart and with emergency brake on the car was very solidly supported...relatively speaking.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
No feeling at all like doing it yourself! I hate to think what a dealer would want!
Old 08-21-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
No feeling at all like doing it yourself! I hate to think what a dealer would want!
Yeah, it's great to save some quid doing it yourself. Probably saved about $300.00 in labour. I was thankful that I'd recently done my coilovers and all the bolts had been recently removed and reinstalled. I had wire brushed the threads and applied anti-seize during the coilover installation, so I was able to complete this drive in my mother-in-law's driveway with a minimum of tools. I basically had 2 scissor jacks, a ratchet with 14mm socket, a 17mm wrench and an adjustable wrench. I much prefer to do this in my well-equipped garage at home, but it wasn't too bad overall.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote