Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
Brake Line and Caliper questions

Hello all, I just put new brake rotors and pads on my 2010 Toyota Yaris and had the help of a friend that is more mechanically savvy. I enjoy learning but the rotors were seized due to being there for around 110K miles so I needed help with that and I also wanted someone to double check my work.

After installing it the brakes worked well but it felt that the car was not coasting or accelerating as usual. My first thinking was that because we had a bit of trouble putting the pads in, especially the hardware and tabs, and they were quite thick, it would take time for them to adjust a little and operate smoothly.

After 2 days, I took it to a mechanic just to have a second opinion and they said rotors and pads look good but they think calipers, brake lines and brake fluid need replacing because they are so old and the issues I stated above.

Without seeing the work I doubt anyone can provide me with much help but I wonder if anyone understands what it’s going on here and if I should wait to see if the brake pads begin to work better or I would need to replace some parts. The work was quoted at about $1200 and I just wanted to avoid paying that much right now but I understand this must be a lot of work.

Thanks!
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
$1200 is ridiculous for aftermarket calipers and hoses to be installed.

Did you push the caliper cylinder all the way back in to the caliper using a tool or c clamp? If not then the pads are likely rubbing due to this.

Other possibility is hose is being pinched off somewhere are a metal bracket that holds it due to rust build up.

I would bet you didnt open your caliper up all the way, hence why you had a heck of a time putting the pads and caliper back on. There should be more than enough room with new pads and rotors if that cylinder is pushed back all the way.

Don't keep driving it like this, you will overheat your rotors and pads really quite and they won't fix themselves until your pads where down enough
Old 06-22-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
$1200 is ridiculous for aftermarket calipers and hoses to be installed.

Did you push the caliper cylinder all the way back in to the caliper using a tool or c clamp? If not then the pads are likely rubbing due to this.

Other possibility is hose is being pinched off somewhere are a metal bracket that holds it due to rust build up.

I would bet you didnt open your caliper up all the way, hence why you had a heck of a time putting the pads and caliper back on. There should be more than enough room with new pads and rotors if that cylinder is pushed back all the way.

Don't keep driving it like this, you will overheat your rotors and pads really quite and they won't fix themselves until your pads where down enough
Thanks for the advice! I believe I may have not elaborated or stated things wrong. I had issues putting the brake pads on because they just wouldn’t go into the main bracket but after my friend figured out I had the hardware orientation wrong they went in more smoothly. I did have a lot of rust on the main bracket but did clean it up, though probably not properly.

I was advice to go for a drive and see if the rims where hot which would indicate some rubbing but they weren’t even after using my breaks a lot during the drive. Not sure what to check next but once my friend has the time to help me we’re going to check them again.
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:30 AM   #4
laurenth

Drives: yaris
Never heard of 12 year old caliper or break lines going "bad" replace the fluid, and purge it properly.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Try rolling down a hill in neutral maybe with the engine off. Maybe not! If you don’t hear any noises it seems to be rolling fine you’re probably OK.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

PS I don’t buy the idea that in a couple days they will break in and be OK. Either it’s done right it’s OK or something is wrong.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #6
Cletus Garfunkle
Average KKT User

Drives: 2001 Echo
Just my .02 cents just make sure you greased the caliper slide pins. Maybe the piston is stuck but I'd doubt that. I've never heard of hard to put in pads as being a problem as making them stick if they are stupid hard just grind the part of the pad where it contacts the caliper bracket makes it easier to get on and off if you grind too much it will just rattle a little. If they stick bad you will smell it.
Cletus Garfunkle is offline   Reply With Quote