Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2023, 05:40 PM   #1
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Shorter Stabilizer link for lowered Yari

Hey guys I measured my Tein Flex Z shorter links and they are 300mm to suit the much shorter tien shock strut.

The standard yari struts are longer than the short trd struts but have the same stabilizer link at 360mm.
Right now I have to fully compress the springs to get it to fit, the Tien links only need about half compression before they could be bolted up.

There is no trd links to suit the shorter trd struts which you think they would supply like other shorter shock lowering kits have.

If we take the 40mm average lowering spring drop from the stabilizer link we should be running 320mm links or close to it and I have researched and found that standard honda jazz links will work for us.

This should correct the front end lower sway bar geometry when running short shock struts and lowering springs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185090213578

Honda OEM part number: 51321-SAA-J01

Will see if i can find the dimensions of the different struts available. ALSO THIS IS JUST THEORY RIGHT NOW UNTIL TESTED, PLEASE DONT TRY AT HOME .

Last edited by Compeer; 01-15-2023 at 02:39 AM.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 10:39 AM   #2
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeer View Post
Hey guys I measured my Tein Flex Z shorter links and they are 300mm to suit the much shorter tien shock strut.

The standard yari struts are longer than the short trd struts but have the same stabilizer link at 360mm.
Right now I have to fully compress the springs to get it to fit, the Tien links only need about half compression before they could be bolted up.

There is no trd links to suit the shorter trd struts which you think they would supply like other shorter shock lowering kits have.

If we take the 40mm average lowering spring drop from the stabilizer link we should be running 320mm links or close to it and I have researched and found that standard honda jazz links will work for us.

This should correct the front end lower sway bar geometry when running short shock struts and lowering springs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185090213578

Honda OEM part number: 51321-SAA-J01

Will see if i can find the dimensions of the different struts available. ALSO THIS IS JUST THEORY RIGHT NOW UNTIL TESTED, PLEASE DONT TRY AT HOME .
I bought an adjustable one. But trust me, you’re fine with the stock length. If you get shorter ones, the sway bar will hit your drive axles. I think I only have 15mm clearance from my drive axles, and they’re extended to longest comfortable length (about 25mm of thread left in the center bar at each end). Hence why I didn’t post about it, because I don’t recommend it.
Also the Yaris has 12mm mounting holes, the Honda only has 10mm. That's why there are spacers that came with the adjustable one that I bought.
I’m actually going back to the stock end links. I threw my old ones away since the boots were ripped, which I thought was the cause of my clunking noise. But ended up it was my ball joint after all. I got a set of Megan Racing extended ball joints to replace them. But that’s another story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F9BA2744-4676-450C-BE2A-A5A672B88C4F.jpeg (318.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Neinris; 02-20-2023 at 10:52 AM.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:24 AM   #3
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
I bought an adjustable one. But trust me, you’re fine with the stock length. If you get shorter ones, the sway bar will hit your drive axles. I think I only have 15mm clearance from my drive axles, and they’re extended to longest comfortable length (about 25mm of thread left in the center bar at each end). Hence why I didn’t post about it, because I don’t recommend it.
Also the Yaris has 12mm mounting holes, the Honda only has 10mm. That's why there are spacers that came with the adjustable one that I bought.
I’m actually going back to the stock end links. I threw my old ones away since the boots were ripped, which I thought was the cause of my clunking noise. But ended up it was my ball joint after all. I got a set of Megan Racing extended ball joints to replace them. But that’s another story.
yeah if I remember the shorter shocks are only 25mm shorter? something like this its not much, thats why I put warnings on the post not to try it, I need to measure the distance between my stock shocks and trd ones mounting points.

The flex z links did not make the sway bar hit, Maybe the trd shocks and other shortened shocks keep the stock link mount height unlike the flez tiens?
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:30 PM   #4
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
I remember measuring the length of the sway bar mounting hole to the top mounting hole for the steering knuckle for the Bilstein B8 and stock strut, and they’re the same, around 6-5/16in. Might be lower for the Tein Flex Z if the 300mm aren’t making the sway bar hit the axles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 18C75291-9262-4590-AB7B-4894ABA3668B.jpeg (208.2 KB, 23 views)
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote