Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Tinting lights & windows pricing

So I was driving to a friends and saw a really wicked car, super tinted back windows, black lights, (black car) and I was just like "ugh, I wish I knew someone with a car so they could do it for me or tell me a good place to do it" I randomly thought about what if I followed that car to ask the guy about it... of course I thought that sounded way too creepy, so I kept driving.

I just happened to follow him all the way to his destination, on accident lol! He was going to my friends next door neighbor! It was crazy.

I walked up to his car and babbled a bit saying I've been wanting to tint my car but I have no idea where or how to do it and asked if he would be willing to do it if I paid. He said sure and I gave him my number and he said he'll call me when the temperature outside is right.

Now... maybe he won't call, but if he does I wanted an idea of what to pay...
I remember reading a window tinting pricing thread- it seemed like the average was $100 but for all the windows.. I just want the back windows & back windshield so I'm guessing $50ish is right? I have the 2 door hatch, so the back windows are tiny..

What about smoked lights? I don't know how long it takes, how much the materials cost- what do you think a fair price would be for a guy to do it?
And I'm thinking I just want the rear lights. So just the price for 2 smokes lights.

Thanks! I just need an idea in case he's like "oh it will cost me $400 to do everything" which doesn't sound right.. I hope! Or maybe he's going to be one of those annoying nice people and won't give me a price and I'll have to think of one. Just need a general idea.

oh if it wasn't clear- pretty sure he doesn't own a shop or anything or he would have said so. I'm guessing he's just like you guys on this forum who just really like their car and are talented to do this kind of stuff by yourself. So what would you want to be paid if you did this stuff for a stranger?
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Carpe_Diem
sells rhymes like dimes

Drives: 08 LB MM
Send a message via AIM to Carpe_Diem
where are you getting quotes of $100?!?

i'd say if he does it for you, 80-90 would be good
Carpe_Diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Carpe_Diem
sells rhymes like dimes

oh and you can do your lights yourself with a spray called "VHT Niteshade"

but dont do it. i had it done on my car, and got ticketed for it wayy too much.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
wiirenet

I thought I found a thread here with people posting how much getting windows tinted cost.. I saw everything from 60-200, so I was guessing 100 would be normal

So you think 80-90 for everything- tinting back windows and smoking the 2 rear lights? Thanks I will keep that in mind.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
wiirenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe_Diem View Post
oh and you can do your lights yourself with a spray called "VHT Niteshade"

but dont do it. i had it done on my car, and got ticketed for it wayy too much.
Blarg tinted lights really get tickets? I don't understand why- if the red shows through when you break, why would it be illegal?

I'm not tinting my front windows because I don't want tickets. I was hoping smoked lights weren't illegal as long as the red shows through when you break..

The guy I was talking to asked if I want the film or spray on my lights, I said I didn't know so he said he could do spray.

I just know I can't do it myself. Just removing the light and making sure I spray evenly and putting the light black without worrying about breaking it would be too much for me.

I assume if I use the spray, and get a ticket, I can't remove it then..?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
you have to put the headlights in an oven to break the seal on them, or very carefully using a heatgun. there are a few threads on doing it.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
wiirenet

yea way too much for a noob like me.. which is why I wanted someone who knows what they're doing to do it. But yea, now I'm worried about tickets. Maybe I can ask for a really faint tint? So its a darker red instead of black/grau.. but still red... hope thats legal
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
Carpe_Diem
sells rhymes like dimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirenet View Post
I just know I can't do it myself. Just removing the light and making sure I spray evenly and putting the light black without worrying about breaking it would be too much for me.
it's MUCH easier than you would think. it's all of 2 bolts to remove your tails.

and it's hard as fook to get the spray off. i ended up giving up about 2 hours into it (i was using goof-off) and switched to sanding them. worst idea ever. now they look HORRIBLE. FML.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
All the california vehicle code(and most other states that I've seen) say is the brake lights must be red and visible from 1000(500 in some states) feet. But then again, some people say they have gotten tickets, and the police/court said you "MAY NOT alter any vehicle light equipment unless it is D.O.T. approved"

I think I'm gonna do it and fight the ticket when I get it. If it is red when lit, and visible from 1000 feet(which is freaking ridiculous anyways - that's 12 seconds at 60 mph) then the police have no right to tell you what color it can be, when not illuminated.

Next they'll be telling you what to wear, not just what to put on your car.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
your tails have to be visible from so many feet away, i believe...this is why people (like me) get warnings for tinted tails.

as far as getting your windows tinted, i had mine done by a reputable shop in WI for $300 with a lifetime warranty.

$100 is super cheap and sounds pretty sketchy to me...unless you buy the film and tint it yourself, which would be even cheaper.

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
wiirenet

But from pics I've seen, tinted lights ARE visible when the light is on... just not when its off. So I still don't understand the reasoning why the color would matter when the lights are off.

Idk, if the guy calls me I'll ask how many times he's gotten pulled over bc of his lights since I assume he drives around in the same area as me.

His front windows and windshield weren't tinted at all, so that seems like he cares about legality. His back windows were completely black, it looked like limo tint, and he had a HUGE spoiler in the back, way bigger then the ones I've seen posted here. It literally looked like a shelf. So the car LOOKS like the guy loves mods, but since the front wasn't tinted he looks smart about it.. even though his lights were black.

The window tinting I'm wondering if I'll just look for a shop so I can get a guarantee instead of getting a random guy to do it.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
Here in CA, I called around and the average price to tint my Yaris was 150-200+tax. (For a lifetime warranty).

After calling around and getting a hookup, I was able to do my 2D LB (dark in front, limo in the back) for $125 (tax included) with a lifetime warranty. And... it only took 2 hours.
KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
^^that's a helluva deal

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #14
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZGRL View Post
After calling around and getting a hookup, I was able to do my 2D LB (dark in front, limo in the back) for $125 (tax included) with a lifetime warranty. And... it only took 2 hours.
Same deal I got. $125 for 35% front/side windows, and a 20% back window. Lifetime warranty.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
wiirenet

Cool, so I'm guessing $50-60 for back windows at a shop.

Still not sure what to do about the smoked lights. I reeeeally want them... but if I get pulled over and told I can't have them, i don't know if I'll be able to buy new lights. Wonder if I can buy a film thats removal as opposed to the spray?

Also if I do decide to get the guy to do them, still don't know how much it would be fair to pay. I'm guessing $30 for tail lights is a fair amount? It doesnt seem that complicated
Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #16
SaerinRhoe
'09 Yaris

Drives: '09 Yaris
I had the windows tinted on my '09 3-door; the driver & passenger front windows at 35% film, driver & passenger rear & back window at 20% film with lifetime warranty for $140 here.

If I'd gone with just a 1yr warranty it would've been $100.

S.R.

SaerinRhoe is offline   Reply With Quote