Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2022, 11:34 PM   #1
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
upgrades!

well after 100,000 miles on the original rears, and a pad replacement up front and still the original fluid and lines..it was time for new metal, the drums were shot, the shoes wore all uneven, the rotors were grooved pretty good even if the pads had about half life left, the big issue really was the fade to which..knowing how minor it was..could have been lines or fluid, regardless if i was going in..i was going to go ALL IN!

all said there was some obvious slight fade going on so it was time to do the whole system, starting with draining it of every drop of fluid and replacing it with some GOOD fluid ..and i swear by ATE blue...tho...they blue isnt made any more only the gold version, as well as braided lines as i KNOW this is a solid upgrade and gets rid of alot of pedal squish and gives more "feedback"..i do it on everything..and i use "generic" aeroquip lines and fitting it cuts the cost but not the quality..full set of lines and fittings was 130$..price up OE and its still less than generic oe fit stuff

the slotted and drilled rotors are from the same place ive got multiple sets from

figured while i was in there id media blast the calipers and mounts and shoot em, figured i may as well shoot the new drums too...no rust that way

the new setup...is way better than it ever was new...and you can feel everything, but when you really get on the brakes hang on it will put you thru the windshield if you want to LOL

the only issue is im not sold on the pads....the shoes are fine

i knew better than to run OE pads up front but anything else was going to be a wait....brakes are great till i really start flogging it in the bends hills n valleys then when they get good n hot they loose some grip, thinking i should grab a set of hawk reds if i can...unless someones got a better recommendation

sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
mannycheckers

Drives: 2009 Yaris 2dr Liftback
Nice pics! The calipers and drum cover turned out sharp.

I don't know if there are better pads than the Hawks.

Now you should look into upgrading the suspension. Looks like you are still running stock. I went with the TRD lowering springs and shocks. It made a big difference along with a rear sway bar.
mannycheckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:07 PM   #3
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannycheckers View Post
Nice pics! The calipers and drum cover turned out sharp.

I don't know if there are better pads than the Hawks.

Now you should look into upgrading the suspension. Looks like you are still running stock. I went with the TRD lowering springs and shocks. It made a big difference along with a rear sway bar.
hawks are a last resort due to the 120$ price tag for a set of pads..so looking for other options that dont suck

as for the suspension......rear sway is on the list, so are the struts and shocks but NOT lowering..cant do it
Old 07-25-2022, 11:08 PM   #4
mannycheckers

The rear sway bar is absolutely worth it. I understand about not wanting to lower. In that case, I would go for Bilstein B6 shocks and struts. I run the B8s which are specific for lowered ride height, but the B6s are for stock height. I prefer a slightly firmer ride than factory.

I can't comment on the brake pads. I don't track the car and I've never noticed a lack in stopping power.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:14 PM   #5
sh0rtlife

i wouldnt have expected the b6 to be made for the yaris..ive got a couple sets on my alfas and LOVE EM!!!!...i wouldnt call them "stiff" just more taunt and planted and controled
Old 07-29-2022, 02:29 AM   #6
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
noooo!!!! rear disc swap! dont spend time and effort on dinosaur drum brakes!
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
noooo!!!! rear disc swap! dont spend time and effort on dinosaur drum brakes!
you show me a swap that will let me keep my wheels and ill take you up on a disc swap

and bigrigs STILL to this day run drums...more surface area than ANY disc brake that will fit in the same size wheel
Old 07-29-2022, 06:18 PM   #8
remcafee

what size are your rims?
Old 07-29-2022, 08:33 PM   #9
sh0rtlife

Quote:
what size are your rims?
some very cherry and vintage late 80s "empco"(which is technicaly now falken) 14s. and the fitment is perfect, i need at best 1/4 inch of offset in the rear to flush out a lil better but EVERYONE who see's it loves it..and youd have to fight my wife to get them off HER car...she loves em...and ive had em sitting on a shelf since 91 in boxes and had nothing to ever put em on...so they really are basicaly NOS peices of sorts with only a few years of use on em

Old 07-30-2022, 02:19 PM   #10
remcafee

i do like those, have you considered lowering it with lowering spprings? that would complete the package
Old 07-30-2022, 06:08 PM   #11
sh0rtlife

Quote:
i do like those, have you considered lowering it with lowering spprings? that would complete the package
i would LOVE to..but....we use it daily for deliverys...and were allready chewwing up the chins, also bottomed out HARD in the center enough to put a long smooth dent in the rocker.(not visable unless you know EXACTLY where to look)...often sent down "questionable" roads, gravel, etc..so with that said..lowering is out of the question

back seat is deleted with a steel frame and aluminum sheet...so its one hell of a delivery rig...and with just me n my wife doing deliverys were paying all our bills and making our own scheduals...its impossible to really argue or complaine about it
maybe once the house is paid off.....

this is a ROAD for a delivery...i bailed on that one as i could smell the cat starting fires.....

Old 07-31-2022, 01:34 AM   #12
sh0rtlife

am i right tho that theres no disc swaps to fit 14s?...or..atleast not one to keep a functional E-brake

cause obviously it wouldnt take much to use a set of front brakes on the rear along with a custom caliper mount but you lose e-brake
Old 07-31-2022, 08:35 PM   #13
remcafee

yeah man its just too small of a wheel to fit yaris se rear discs, probably leave it alone, i didnt know you had 14s, with that being said, you could possibly shave the caliper down to fit it but im not guarnteeing, you might be able to fit woth a little shaving of the caliper assembly
Old 08-01-2022, 01:46 AM   #14
sh0rtlife

Quote:
yeah man its just too small of a wheel to fit yaris se rear discs, probably leave it alone, i didnt know you had 14s, with that being said, you could possibly shave the caliper down to fit it but im not guarnteeing, you might be able to fit woth a little shaving of the caliper assembly
i forget what i had to do that on...im NOT a fan of doing it

TBH drums are fine if you know how to dial them in and arre willing to adjust em now n then....and im totaly up to speed on drums..4wheel drums on my 67 barracuda and it stops on a dime..you can actualy flat lock up all 4 with no issue
Old 08-08-2022, 10:33 AM   #15
mannycheckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
i would LOVE to..but....we use it daily for deliverys...and were allready chewwing up the chins, also bottomed out HARD in the center enough to put a long smooth dent in the rocker.(not visable unless you know EXACTLY where to look)...often sent down "questionable" roads, gravel, etc..so with that said..lowering is out of the question

back seat is deleted with a steel frame and aluminum sheet...so its one hell of a delivery rig...and with just me n my wife doing deliverys were paying all our bills and making our own scheduals...its impossible to really argue or complaine about it
maybe once the house is paid off.....

this is a ROAD for a delivery...i bailed on that one as i could smell the cat starting fires.....

Time to do the "Canadian Commuter" mod:
https://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63454

Old 08-09-2022, 01:20 AM   #16
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannycheckers View Post
Time to do the "Canadian Commuter" mod:
https://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63454

i wanted his kit but he didnt want to sell it without the rubber

TBH were looking for a second yaris specificaly 06-08 as we love the lil bastard, and the second yaris for "winter" work

if i have my way it will be a JDM RHD....and you better bet ive been eyeballin the 4wd's

ive also re-resigned his lift on paper atleast to gain even more lift...ive got 3 designs ploted out and they all use the OE springs
Old 08-10-2022, 04:45 PM   #17
remcafee

you mean to tell me theres a 4wd yaris variant of the 2nd gen? where the hell do you find those at?
Old 08-12-2022, 04:45 PM   #18
sh0rtlife

Quote:
you mean to tell me theres a 4wd yaris variant of the 2nd gen? where the hell do you find those at?
JAPAN!!!!...and ive seriously eyeballed them, thing is...best i can tell they never offered them with anything bigger than the 1.3, most of them being 1.0s, the rear axle looks like a narrowed 1970s SR5 toyota pickup

ive come across a dozen or so that could be imported for a full total of under 3k

now if someone told me i could swap the 1.3 for a 1.5 or better while retaining the 4wd id probably jump on one ASAP