Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #19
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Thanks for the advise guys. I will post more as it moves along.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #20
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

OK yesterday I ordered Garms Turbo manafold off Micro Image and also a GT25 turbo from E-bay. I will see how it mounts up then I will start planing costom intercooler piping and downpipe routing. Also will need to measure for oil feed and return line. And what I will need to tap pan for retun line. Any sugestions for return line tap would be helpful.

Turbo specs. I think this turbo should spool quickly and be good for low boost application

TURBO SPEC:

gt25 internal wastegate turbo charger

Intake :2.5 inch
Outlet: 2 inch
Compressor trim: .42 ar
Compressor Wheel diameter: 60.05 /42.12
Turbine wheel diameter : 46.46 /53.20
Exhaust trim: .49ar
Turbine flange type: t25 flange
Downpipe flange type : 5 bolt type (will not fit sr20 down pipe bolt pattern)
Cooling type: oil and water cool
Actuator : set at 8psi
Horsepower rating: 250-300hp+
(wet float bearing)

1 YEAR WARRANTY IF INSTALLED BY PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC ( ASE CERTIFIED)

Turbo was $239.99 shipped to my door
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mani-no-wg-3.jpg (160.2 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg tb25_4.jpg (37.9 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg tb25_2.jpg (23.8 KB, 461 views)
File Type: jpg tb25_3.jpg (38.5 KB, 463 views)
Old 07-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #21
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You're on the right track!

I think I would have gone 6 psi but this is a great experiment, and finally someone is ACTUALLY DOING IT.

Mani went out promptly yesterday.

Our oil "pan" is really just a cover. We tapped the front of the block above that for my return line.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #22
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Is the engine 1.5L or 1.3L? Just to confirm as it was never mentioned here

I think the actuator set to 8psi is not good for stock internals. Make sure you buy a boost controller and set it to the most minimum levels... you don't want your turbo to boost a spike while you rev it to 6Krpm on first gear and end up on 10 or even 12psi boost. At that level of boost (10-12psi) I am confident your internals won't hold long so make sure you install a controller.

Also since you are installing additional oil lines make sure you install an oil pressure (or also oil temprature) to monitor your oil status. Before you drive happy and confident you need to check especially oil pressure during idle gradually till 5Krpm on neutral. If all is fine you can burn some tires after a good tune!

An Air to Fuel Ratio (AFR) is an option to check how your mixture is doing off and on boost. This gauge can prevent you before you destroy your engine especially if you run lean on-boost

Cheers and Good luck
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #23
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
finally someone is ACTUALLY DOING IT.
I was just going to say, "Wow this guy sure moves fast." The only guy to ask the same ol` turbo questions, but then actually DOES IT! lol. Way to go bro!
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #24
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

1. definitely a couple of gauges will be needed.
2. strongly recommend an extra O2 bung in your downpipe. you'll be glad it's there someday, and it's a pain to take out and add later.
3. re: parmas comment -- you can't have less than the spring pressure, so if the spring is 8psi, that's the minimum you can run. A boost controller is a great idea to prevent the spikes/surges he is warning about.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #25
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
3. re: parmas comment -- you can't have less than the spring pressure, so if the spring is 8psi, that's the minimum you can run. A boost controller is a great idea to prevent the spikes/surges he is warning about.
Normally a boost controller control boost levels and spring pressure. If we consider the AEM TRU boost it has a boost level percentage setting of 10% as minimum and a spring pressure setting of 1 minimum.

This is an example.... On my setup (in which the actuator is set to 9psi) the AEM needs to be set to boost level of 10% and spring pressure setting of 5 to get good response. Since I had mixture problems I decided to use stock plugs and I needed to have the engine running at the lowest boost possible. So I adjusted the spring pressure to 1 and boost became laggy and it need much more revs to produce that 9psi and I worked fine liked that since I was only hitting 4psi during street driving.
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #26
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Normally a boost controller control boost levels and spring pressure.
No, it cannot control spring pressure. A spring has a fixed resistance. The boost controller keeps the wastegate closed at or above the spring pressure, and the spring is what allows it to open. So the spring pressure is the minimum boost.

I'll just leave it with my disagreement on this point, the thread is for the OP's turbo build.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #27
scioncrew

Drives: SCION tC
Send a message via AIM to scioncrew
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/att...1&d=1278799753
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tb25_4.jpg (52.3 KB, 461 views)
07 Toyota Yaris 357hp 12.80@107mph
scioncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #28
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

I have to agree with you, boost controller can not override spring pressure in actuator as it is sealed and completely mechanical. I think it is a little to much boost to start with. I think I will rig up I spring to work against the actuator to help it open sooner until I can get it to a local tuner. I know it may sound ghetto, but its better then the cost of a new motor. At least until its properly tuned. But I still have a lot of work to do. And right now Im out of flow until my next pay day. Also its a 1.5L motor. I do want to install a wide band o2s and air/fuel ratio guage and boost guage on inside window pillar. I think I will take many pictures and post as this rolls along.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #29
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Thanks for that scioncrew. I was not aware of that adjuster.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #30
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Does anyone run stock injectors with boost? I didnt think the blitz supercharger came with injectors. I heard you should not excede 80% duty cycle with any injector while tuning or it becomes unreliable and may fail.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #31
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

the blitz s/c does not come with injectors. If you want to experiment, try to tune with stock, then move up if they can't handle it. Or move up and know you've got enough to start with.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #32
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I think I will take many pictures and post as this rolls along.
You better! If you don't, it didn't happen.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #33
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
OK yesterday I ordered a GT25 turbo from E-bay.
Is this one of those from the sr20det setup? I was eyeing this up after having it pointed out... Just been wondering on its quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
Does anyone run stock injectors with boost? I didnt think the blitz supercharger came with injectors. I heard you should not excede 80% duty cycle with any injector while tuning or it becomes unreliable and may fail.
Check out cdydjded's profile. He has an A/F graph of stock injectors and 1ZZ injectors.

Also, not to threadjack, but since it was touched on here... Garm, I'm wondering if you could possibly post a picture of your oil tap location. I've been wondering how you pulled this off for awhile lol.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #34
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

sure thing, next time i'm near the car, which is Monday
Old 07-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #35
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

The turbo on the sr20det is usually a gt25g. Its larger, has a a/r 80 compressor. Nice pic and info on wikipedia. The last turbo ride I had was a Suby wrx. It put down 300 on a axel dyno. My local tuner must have done 100 runs into the night. Their neighbors were sure pissed off. They have since changed locations. I ran a
larger tubo and injectors. No piggy back, they reflashed the stock ECU and also turned off my cel. due to missing cat. converter. He also included a
second low boost map that could be turned on using the defroster switch. Nice if U let someone barrow your car. Its nice when the aftermarket loves your car.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #36
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

100 pulls, ouch.