Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
wolfywho

Drives: 2011 3-Door Liftback
New 2011 Yaris Purchase - Paint Defect - Help

Hi everyone,

I'm a soon to be owner of a new 2011 Yaris. I'm really excited. This is my first post here, but I've learned a lot about the Yaris from the forum while making my decision to get a Yaris. Thanks for that!

I need some advice on a car that I'm purchasing from a local dealer. They didn't have what I was looking for on their lot, so they found one in their computer and had it delivered to their lot from another dealer. When I first saw the car, I found a scratch/gouges on the front body panel (see "before" image below). I told them that it would need to be fixed before I would take posession/purchase the vehicle. The sales manager said no problem and that I won't even be able to see it when they're done fixing it. The next day, I came back to see how it looked (see "after" image below).

Before Image:

After Image

To me, it looks like they took a paint pen/brush and just touched it up. *I* could have done that. My main concern is the longevity of a repair like that. Also, for a brand new car, I feel it should be near perfect without any blemishes like this. If I'm paying a new car price, then it should be new. I guess my question is, would you accept a repair like that on a brand new vehicle? This is the first new car I've ever purchased (I'm 40 years old), so this is something I've never come across and would appreciate your advice.

Thanks a lot! I look forward to hanging out on these forums.

-Wolfy

Here are some high resolution versions of the images for a closer look:

High Resolution Images Of Both Before & After
http://www.wolfington.net/photos/Yaris/Before-Large.jpg
http://www.wolfington.net/photos/Yaris/After-Large.jpg
wolfywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
the answer to that would be hell no. If you are paying new car pricing then it needs to be addressed properly especially if the dealer insisted that you will not even notice once the repair was completed. When I bought mine the dealer had to get it transported to them from another dealer. The originating dealer damaged the lip and then did a shit ass job of repairing and in the end they had to pay my local dealer to replace the lip and a couple of the shroud pieces underneath. Since the damage is on the bumper cover I would require they pull the cover off, sand, paint, and reclear the thing without changing the price to you, but that is just IMHO.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
wolfywho

Thanks fnkngrv. It's nice to hear someone else say that. It's the same conclusion that I've slowly come to myself (with the help of others). It's what my gut was telling me, and my gut isn't usually wrong. It's nice to get input from others for a reality check.

-Wolfy

Last edited by wolfywho; 09-14-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Not sure what price they are selling you the car for, but I found it especially crucial for me that the dealer get my car straight when I paid them sticker. I was one of the first sedans sold and a lot of the LB folks were telling me that I was crazy for paying sticker, but I got exactly what I wanted plus the dealership took me to lunch at Red Lobster while I waited for the final detailing of the car to be done. The profit margin on this car is wicked thin as it is when sold new. At least it was the first couple of years it was sold in the states.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
wolfywho

Yeah, I hear ya. Sometimes it's worth a little extra to get good service. I'm not paying sticker, but it's close to sticker. I was only able to negotiate $350 off MSRP. I like the car though, and I'm happy with the price. Just not happy with the scratch or their first attempt at fixing it.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

you should scratch the dealers arm and then tell him you will fix it and no one will notice it was even there...see what they say.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
wolfywho

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
you should scratch the dealers arm and then tell him you will fix it and no one will notice it was even there...see what they say.
LMAO!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
wolfywho

I'm still interested in getting other people's input on this as well. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
dmfang

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
take it back and get them to fix it. the dealer should accommodate. If the first guy is less than helpful, ask for a supervisor.

I took my car back after 3 years when I noticed some strange paint defect and they completely repainted a few bits for me free of charge. Your car is brand new! They should at least to a quality job and repaint the bumper.

good luck and welcome to YW!
dmfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
No, I wouldn't accept it the way it is. I paid $800 below sticker in June 2010 and I wouldn't have accepted mine if it looked like the one you are buying. You're buying a NEW car, it should be almost perfect.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
#1 do not buy the car. wait until you find one you want to buy and take.

#2 many people have entire businesses and all they do, is go to dealers and
fix minor cosmetic problems. if this didn't exist, no dealer would be in business
for long, because scratches happen. These guys can make scratches go away
and you can never tell there was any damage and the full warranty applies.
It is the real deal and the repairs are phenomenal when done correctly.

I have a friend who does this. All he does is fix new cars for several dealers in New
England that come off the train or truck and make sure they are 100%.
He is good at it and the job pays mucho loot. He has a huge house, 2 Mercedes, races Ducatis...
Just know that it is a pretty big deal to fix new car dealer dings, and he only works 20hr a week.

so, if you can still tell a scratch was there, you are getting railroaded by that dealer,
and they are trying to cheese you out.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I wouldn't accept the car in that condition.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
wolfywho

Thanks everyone. This is very helpful. I haven't taken possession of the car yet, so I certainly have some leverage. It's a 2011 (the 2012 is about to be released) and the inventories are getting low everywhere especially in the 5 speed manual 3 door hatchbacks. Guess they've been short inventory because of the Japan Tsunami earlier this year as well.

A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby - Thanks for the info in your #2 item. This is exactly the type of person/business that allegedly came out to fix the issue to begin with. Wish it was your friend that came out to do it instead. ;)

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
wolfywho

Here's the response I received from the sales manager...

<!-- Begin Response -->
Hi Scott,

I perfectly understand your position on this...After speaking with the paint man, we believe that it would be better to leave the bumper as it is...if we try sanding and repainting, there can be even more issues that could arise...

Since there is a very limited supply of these vehicles, we will refund your money in full (my deposit)...we can try to find another color, but again, the supply of these is very limited...please let **** (or me) know what you want to do...

I will send this to **** as well...sorry this did not work out...

<!-- End Response -->

So, it seems they don't want to do anymore to the bumper panel than what they're already doing. My guess is that there isn't much profit in the car to begin with, so painting it properly would just cost too much money. I'm also guessing that they can sell it to someone else exactly the way it is now that it's been cleaned up better than when I first saw it. Someone might not even notice it at this point. This is just speculation though.

We looked for another car with the same specs. The next closest one is 200 miles away in Chicago. They'll have to work out a trade with them, and then drive it here. This cost the dealership money too (I'm not sure how much exactly). Who knows what could happen to the car during that trip too.

Last edited by wolfywho; 09-14-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #15
aussie muzza

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan YRS auto
Wolfy
Mate, I agree with what everyone else has said. You are paying new price for a new car. That particular Dealer does not fill me with a lot of confidence. I wonder what else the Dealer will cover up in your future dealings with them if you accept the car in its present conditon. The car will have to go back to them for services and warranty repair etc. Will you ever be really certain that they have done the servicing etc that they will say they have done? Please insist that it is fixed to your satisfaction. The situation in Aus is similar to over there in that there is very little margin in the sale of a new car but the Dealers make their money on having return customers for servicing etc.
regards Muz
aussie muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #16
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
That's bullshit. I'm literally in school for exactly this, automotive refinishing, and there's no reason why they can't fix that. 'More issues?' Sounds like they're lazy. They can easily fix that. They just don't wan to. Threaten to pull out of the deal.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
wolfywho

Well, they're willing to find me another car and pay to have it driven to this dealership from 200+ miles away. I really don't know how much something like that costs though, or how it gets paid for. I don't want to bash them. It *is* strange that they don't just fix this one properly though. The rest of my dealings with them have been positive.

Betrivent - How would you go about fixing something like this properly? Since you're in school for this right now.

Here's another thought, seeing that the 2011's are in *very short supply* now. I mentioned to them that it will cost them money to bring a car here from Chicago, and how much would they discount the one that is already here instead? Of course, this would require them making another attempt at fixing it using their current method (whatever that was). The sales lady said she’ll speak to the sales manager in the morning. I don't know, maybe I'm getting too emotionally attached to the car.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Something about the whole situation seems a little iffy. They do a piss poor (IMHO) job of fixing the screwed up paint job, and then tell you it's best to just leave it as is?

I know a year after I bought my car I had a lot of little flecks of rust on the paint. When I asked the dealership about it they explained that it was rail dust that was on the surface of the paint that started to rust. They then offered to have their detailer go over the whole car to remove it. A year after I bought the car.

If when I got the car it was covered in rail dust and they said it was best to leave it as is, I know I would have walked on the deal.

You're buying a new car, so it should be in mint condition. Not, "new, but damaged" condition.

Just my two cents.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote