Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Bretsuaz

Drives: Yaris sedan
Consumer Reports Best & Worst 2007 Cars

Just received the annual auto issue yesterday. The Yaris is on the Most Disappointing list, along with the Caliber/Compass, Nitro and the Sebring.

"The Yaris offers excellent fuel economy and reliability. But the good news ends there. Emergency handling is sloppy, there's alot of noise, the driving position is uncomfortable, and stops are very long without the optional (but hard to find) antilock brakes."

I am very pleased with my car, and think I made a great choice. This vehicle meets all my needs in a car. It is environmentally friendly, economical, safe, and fun to drive. Not to mention, backed by Toyota reliability. Sure, there are a couple of small things I would like to see change. But overall, I love this car. If something were to happen to this car, I would be back at the Toyota dealership buying another one.

I do like Consumer reports, but have always felt that reviews of cars would be better left to someone else (besides CNet, they're even worse). The only part of their reviews that seems to be accurate is reliability. The rest of their reviews should be read for entertainment value only.

Anyone else read this issue yet? What did you think?
Bretsuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
fazali

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris LB
They are right on all counts. But thats it. Dollar for dollar and style equals a good deal. No regrets here.

There you have it!
15" Black Feather Konig's
Viper Remote Start Alarm System
20% Window Tint All Around
fazali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Thats OK, I saw a issue of Consumer reports top used cars not to buy. Not one single Toyota on the list. Honda only had one. Nissan had several. Almost every Volkwagon model made was on it. I'll stick with my Toyota.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
I'm happy with mine. I don't need a report to validate my purchase or my feelings of goodness for buying my Yaris. They can shove their reports up their righteous asses.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueYaris View Post
I'm happy with mine. I don't need a report to validate my purchase or my feelings of goodness for buying my Yaris. They can shove their reports up their righteous asses.
amen!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
+1. I don't disagree with anything they said, really. But I still know that for me, on the day I was buying and with the budget I had, I made the right call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazali View Post
They are right on all counts. But thats it. Dollar for dollar and style equals a good deal. No regrets here.

There you have it!
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #7
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by St_G View Post
+1. I don't disagree with anything they said, really. But I still know that for me, on the day I was buying and with the budget I had, I made the right call.
Sorry; I think CR is full of it. I remember when I realized it: when they were complaining that the ride of the Corvette was "too stiff." Total lack of credibility, IMHO.

I remember one issue they were rating which beers were the best. C'mon -- it's totally personal preference!

I do not listen to CR.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #8
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
Fair enough, but there's not a lot of subjectivity in the list of Yaris complaints. Driving position isn't really uncomfortable to me, I suppose, but it's a little awkward and certainly took some getting use to. I continue to search for the right seat position/steering wheel height that leaves me enough leg room without requiring me to drive with my arms straight out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Sorry; I think CR is full of it. I remember when I realized it: when they were complaining that the ride of the Corvette was "too stiff." Total lack of credibility, IMHO.

I remember one issue they were rating which beers were the best. C'mon -- it's totally personal preference!

I do not listen to CR.
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:27 AM   #9
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
The idiot media consumer people haven't a clue what a good car is. All they can think of is bells and whistles not practicality and usefulness.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:38 AM   #10
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
*in a sarcastic tone* i for one am happy about the "bad news." hopefully there'll be less yarii around here. everywhere i turn, there goes another one...

--B
Old 03-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #11
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I love my car more then any other car I have ever owned!

And I don't NEED all that fancy shit... I LOVE A SIMPLE CAR!

I want to work on my car, I want to feel the road, It is one of the ONLY cars in America that lets you do that...

... But it could use a Tachometer!

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:50 AM   #12
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
I got a vcr one time that comsumer reports said had a real good picture for vhs anyway .It was awful i took it back and got a different one.I am very happy with my yaris handling is a lot better than my tacoma.
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
I think it is very difficult to rate things like cars. You can't drive a car a couple of hours and make a valid opinion. A car has to be driven for weeks/months in order for the driver to get a feel for the like/dislike. Still lovin' on my Yaris S. Even the radio/sound is better than I thought it would be for a "cheap" car.

With car prices climbing, I will take my 40mpg over a CR highly rated SUV any day.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearturtle44 View Post
I think it is very difficult to rate things like cars. You can't drive a car a couple of hours and make a valid opinion. A car has to be driven for weeks/months in order for the driver to get a feel for the like/dislike. Kevin
this is very true. also needed to be taken into consideration is how much weight is being placed on things such as performance, luxury, safety, etc. reviews from mags like Car & Driver and Road & Track can be misleading since theire reviews are very heavily performance based. because of this, hondas will always typically do better than toyotas in those comparisons. we need to place more emphasis on their long term reviews, which shows the true liveability of vehicles. with that said, we ARE all human so we cant help but classify, quantify and compare different things. thats in our inherent nature. but one thing that magazines and reports will never be able to quantify is the level of satisfaction that us yarii owners genuinely have.

--B
Old 03-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #15
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Probably Honda Fit Paid them more than Toyota Yaris
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #16
Quatro

Drives: '07 Yaris LB Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretsuaz View Post
Just received the annual auto issue yesterday. The

"The Yaris offers excellent fuel economy and reliability. But the good news ends there. Emergency handling is sloppy, there's alot of noise, the driving position is uncomfortable, and stops are very long without the optional (but hard to find) antilock brakes."

Anyone else read this issue yet? What did you think?
Very misleading.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #17
Ericvonzipper
Von Zipper RIDES!

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I agree....

I completely AGREE with C.R. Mag, BUT....I also appreciate my Yaris for what it IS. Wish I could have got the Fit, but if I had to settle, I could have done much worse than my Little Yaris!
Mike
2003 Honda Reflex 250 Canary Yellow
2006 Vespa GT200 Pearl White

http://members.cox.net/ericvonzipper/ (WARNING:ADULT CONTENT!)
Ericvonzipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #18
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
CONSUMER REPORT IS TOTAL BULLSHIT!!! AS IN B.U.L.L. S.H.I.T-bull shit...

I'll get my Yaris next week "i'll post pics when I get it", no matter what crap they say about its safety, cheapness, and lack of ABS equipped models... thats how I like my car... like a race car!!!

BTW the japanese kamikazes said that too... they said they dont need thick armor plates... bcoz their just blow up on ships anyway ... and they wont even make it to the target if they have that extra "ballast" weight of that sheet iron steel... RIGHT??? makes sense to me...

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote