Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
New-to-me '09 with 174k miles: To do list?

Like the title says, I just bought a 2009 hatchback Yaris, manual transmission, with 174,000 miles. What kind of things do I likely need to inspect, adjust, replace, etc.?

The engine oil is good, it looks like it has maybe one or two thousand miles on it since the last change. But I forget, this is a newer car. It's going to tell me exactly when I need to change the oil based on how it's been driven, isn't it?

I happen to have some Redline MT-90 in the closet from a car I sold before I got a chance to change the gear oil, so that will be going in the Yaris pretty soon. It shifts well, and there are no leaks, but I'm doing it anyway.

Does the amount the e-brake pulls up have anything to do with how worn the rear brakes are? If it is, I'll need new brakes soon. The handle comes almost all the way straight up.

Anything else? Thanks in advance!
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Tinkerman

Drives: Yaris 5 speed
I love Redline MT-90. I also use Royal Purple synchromesh occasionally.
Tinkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #3
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
The brake coming all the way up is possibly a sign thatnthe rear brakes need adjusting. Part of the routine service is to adjust the rear brakes and then adjust the hand brake cable. The brake lever should come up about 8 clicks.

unless you have a model with rear discs, the brakes should adjust a bit every time you apply the brakes reasonably firmly while reversing.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #4
CincyC6

Drives: 2008 / 2011 / 2012 Yaris
The e-brake is adjustable, and not really dependant on rear brake level. The cable just loosens with usage.

I would change fluids, get a oem drive belt, inspect tires and brakes and drive it. These cars are virtually maintenance free. Cabin air filter if you're real thorough. It's basically the most reliable car imaginable lol. Maybe spark plugs too?
CincyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Theres an orange light that comes on every 5000 miles for service. Which means oil change. Its NOT linked to an analysis of how the cars driven.

I would check the air filter sometimes they dont get changed.

I would r and r the plugs and check the gap. If the gaps in spec the plugs prolly are recently changed.

Also Id take the wheels and rear drums off to check the brake pads/shoes and check the condition of the CV boots while there.

At least check the trans oil level if you dont change it.

I bleed the clutch every year on hydraulic operated ones. Id bleed/change the fluid on the brakes too on such a high miileage car if I had the time.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #6
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Great, thanks for the tips. I guess the brake lever just goes further than what I'm used to. I counted, and it goes up 8 clicks, 9 if I really pull hard, so that's all right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyC6 View Post
These cars are virtually maintenance free. Cabin air filter if you're real thorough. It's basically the most reliable car imaginable lol.
That's why I bought one. I love simple, reliable, efficient cars, and the Yaris is pretty much the best at those things. I saw that you're almost at 300k on yours, that's awesome!

This Yaris is replacing a 1996 Geo Metro with 260k miles. It's a small sacrifice in fuel economy for all the luxuries a newer car brings.

I've never had a hydraulic clutch before, so I'll have to look up how to bleed that. Air filters, plugs, and fluids were already on my list. Tires, yes, it needs new ones. Going to replace the dizzy cap and rotor, too... oh, wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Theres an orange light that comes on every 5000 miles for service. Which means oil change. Its NOT linked to an analysis of how the cars driven.
Interesting. I figured if the '06 Chevy I used to have did it, every car would be doing it by now, but I guess not. Well, all the Geo has is an oil pressure light, and if that comes on, you've already destroyed the engine.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Not to get too off topic, but I love that you ditched the hub caps for a more aggressive steelies look. Is that tint I see on it already?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Not off-topic, these are all things I'm doing to the car. Naked steelies. I hated those hubcaps. I've decided to save the wheel money and get a really good set of tires instead. I think I'll use the same kind of hubcap I originally put on my Geo, before Discount Tire broke one.

They're knockoff late-90's Accord style. When I was looking for my Yaris, I saw a few with the same hubcaps, and I think they look really good on these cars. Plain, simple, and clean, and it's not so painfully obvious that they're hubcaps. Here's one:

It does have window tint already. I think it's Arizona legal (33%) all around, but the tint they used is crap. The driver's window has a big wrinkle in it. I bet it'll turn purple in a year or two. I'll re-do it eventually.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:57 PM   #9
CincyC6

Drives: 2008 / 2011 / 2012 Yaris
If you're looking to spend some cash on tires, I'd strongly recommend the Michelin Defenders. I'm a courier, so I stack miles on quick, and I have about 89k miles on this set and on principle, I'm going to take these over 100K lol. They are holding up really well.

And I hear you on simple, efficient cars. I tell all my friends to buy one lol
CincyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Yep, the Defenders are exactly the tires I had my eye on. I've never had Michelins before. They seem expensive, but the mileage warranty on the $100 Defenders is almost twice as long as the $50 cheapies, and when you consider the installation and disposal fees, the Michelins actually come out cheaper per mile. Good to hear you're getting your money's worth out of yours. That's one of the great things about light cars: the tires really last.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #11
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
One of the better caps I've seen, no doubt, but I still prefer the more aggressive steelies look.

Running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's myself. Love Michelin. Top shelf tire.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
A set of 185/60/15's will cost $331.88 (after the $100 mail-in rebate) delivered to your door.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ca&exposed=brd

Last edited by kimona; 11-27-2016 at 08:34 PM.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote