Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
andylai2k

Drives: 3D LiftBack White
will after market spring affect the warranty?

Hi,

I did purchase a extend warranty for my yaris ($1000 for 100,000 miles). I want to lower my car with the DF210 Spring. Will it affect my warrenty? Thanks for all input.
andylai2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylai2k View Post
Hi,

I did purchase a extend warranty for my yaris ($1000 for 100,000 miles). I want to lower my car with the DF210 Spring. Will it affect my warrenty? Thanks for all input.

it will void your suspension warranty that's all
Old 06-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
if anything goes wrong just put the stock ones on
nqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
yup...

i believe in some countries if u install trd aftermarket parts it wont void ur warranty....but any other aftermarket brands will def. void ur warranty.

i might be wrong with trd parts....
Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
I think here in Canada if you have the dealer install the TRD parts your warranty is ok.
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:53 AM   #6
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

THis states that a warranty is only violated if the change you made voids it. Add a turbo and blow up the engine and show proof the turbo was to blame then the warranty for that repair is void. Add an exhaust and your suspension goes out your fine. The only way they cannot cover something is if something you added is the cause of the damage.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris View Post

THis states that a warranty is only violated if the change you made voids it. Add a turbo and blow up the engine and show proof the turbo was to blame then the warranty for that repair is void. Add an exhaust and your suspension goes out your fine. The only way they cannot cover something is if something you added is the cause of the damage.
This is EXACTLY how my dealer explained it to me... You only concern should be that your shocks will wear out prematurley due to the drop and your dealer WON'T cover that. Follow the DIY for the spring install and make sure you cut the bump stops to maintain some up-travel. Good luck!
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #8
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris View Post

Dealers are masters at blaming others/3rd party parts as the fault of everything. Toyota backs their dealers. Get where im going here?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
dealers will do what they can...a friend of mine had an Tiburon Auto...he lowered it with springs and later on the transmission started slipping. he followed the idea that the springs only voided the suspension warranty and brought it in for the tranny service. The dealership told him that by lowering the car the 2" or so that he did, it threw off the computer that controls the transmission which was not designed or programmed to function at that low of a height as compared to the ground. And he was not able to win the argument with them - they voided his warranty and refused to fix the transmission...He ended up trading the hyundai in for a civic.

Thats why I always keep my factory parts to reinstall if I have to bring the car to a dealership for service. Even if its engine work and I only have springs - who knows what they'll cook up...

Last edited by RShatchback; 06-28-2007 at 05:15 PM. Reason: misspelled word
RShatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
good point

nothing surprises me at the dealer anymore, I hope Inever even need to take mine in for anything other than recalls
Old 06-29-2007, 12:25 AM   #11
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RShatchback View Post
dealers will do what they can...a friend of mine had an Tiburon Auto...he lowered it with springs and later on the transmission started slipping. he followed the idea that the springs only voided the suspension warranty and brought it in for the tranny service. The dealership told him that by lowering the car the 2" or so that he did, it threw off the computer that controls the transmission which was not designed or programmed to function at that low of a height as compared to the ground. And he was not able to win the argument with them - they voided his warranty and refused to fix the transmission...He ended up trading the hyundai in for a civic.

Thats why I always keep my factory parts to reinstall if I have to bring the car to a dealership for service. Even if its engine work and I only have springs - who knows what they'll cook up...
I'm sorry, but you would have to be a complete dip-shit to lose this arguement. Transmission height??? No way/no how can lowering springs cause transmission failure. I would have taken this one to court with several REAL mechanics statements and had Hyundai pay for it all.

No offense, but was this YOUR friend, or a friend of a friend; because this story sounds like the later. And don't forget, dealers get paid for their time honoring warranty work from the manufacturer. These types of things benefit dealers, free parts and paid labor.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:50 AM   #12
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
Going back to the topic...
Yeah, void suspension warranty if you are going with aftermarket suspension parts.

Does it matter?

If you find proper labor for installation, you should not worry about lowering your car. More about it, if you complain some vibration/noise inside your lowered vehicle, dealer can use your non-o/e suspension system as an excuse not to warranty noise issue....

Again, does it matter? To me, I mod therefore I am.
There are always some risks when dealing with any kind of mod job.
JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:13 AM   #13
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDoc View Post
To me, I mod therefore I am.
cute!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #14
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
YES IT DOES, unless its trd springs installed by a dealer.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #15
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
I'm sorry, but you would have to be a complete dip-shit to lose this arguement. Transmission height??? No way/no how can lowering springs cause transmission failure. I would have taken this one to court with several REAL mechanics statements and had Hyundai pay for it all.

No offense, but was this YOUR friend, or a friend of a friend; because this story sounds like the later. And don't forget, dealers get paid for their time honoring warranty work from the manufacturer. These types of things benefit dealers, free parts and paid labor.
No. It wasnt anyones friends uncles sisters brothers stepdaughter. It was a close friend who I could call right now... And I dont think he was about to waste the time, money and energy going to court to solve his problem. I dont know how things work out in the "midwest" but out here..once you go to one dealer for your car...lets say "hyundai" and they void your warranty - you get red flagged and and any hyundai dealership you go to will say that your warranty is voided. And any amount of private grease monkeys or mechanics frome other dealers are not going to help you that much, when hyundai argues that their certified technicians know their car compared to your buddies private mechanic at jiffy lube. Since the slipping was happened once and awhile he traded it in for a civic - and now he has an XB....