Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #19
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback

i see someone still uses the club
anyway, looks good

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #20
Tankota
Prototype Tester

Drives: Yaris S-Sedan / FJ Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by eight_heads
i see someone still uses the club
anyway, looks good
Yeah, I figure it's another step to slow them down and make them find another car.. My neighbors Saturn was just stolen the other day from 25 feet behind where mine's parked right now!

Still need to get a nice alarm on it, it had a dealer installed Chapman alarm, but they wanted $600 for it, so I had them remove it when I bought the vehical.... all they did was pull the CPU unit, all the wiring and LED's are still there.. I'm trying to find out what model it was and see if I can just pick one up at normal price someplace and just plug it right back in..
Tankota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #21
Lizardboy
Mmmmm, twisties!

Drives: 07 Red Yaris S & 95 Miata
I ordered a tint kit from snaptint.com. After a shipping foulup on their end, I finally received it and they refunded my extra $10 for Express mail. Long story short, don't try this unless you've successfully tinted windows before! I somewhat successfully applied the tint on the little triangular windows on the rear doors but when I tried the right, rear, roll-up window... DISASTER! No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the tint to lay flat without fingers on the bottom and sides. I ended up ripping the tint off the three windows before they set-up. Wasted $100. Now I'm taking the car to a shop after my next payday.

Learn from my mistake, kids!
Lizardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:57 PM   #22
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
5% on the rear hatch
20% on all 8 side windows.

Personally I can't stand two differnt shades of tint on the sides of a car like the truck in my pics. It looks like a 1/2 azzed job. I would rather have a little less tint % then two different tints on the sides.
If I was to do it again I would go with 35% on the sides like my Xtreme had.

07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #23
Lizardboy
Mmmmm, twisties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
5% on the rear hatch
20% on all 8 side windows.

Personally I can't stand two differnt shades of tint on the sides of a car like the truck in my pics. It looks like a 1/2 azzed job. I would rather have a little less tint % then two different tints on the sides.
If I was to do it again I would go with 35% on the sides like my Xtreme had.
Wow, that looks really sharp! Maybe it's just the lighting but those side windows look darker than 20%. I was considering 5% all the way around because I work in Palm Springs, and it's ridiculously hot during the summer, but after seeing your 20% I'm having second thoughts.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #24
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I like the 20% but I'm going to do 35% in the rear and 50% in the front windows
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #25
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
MY Xtreme was 35% on the sides and 5% on the rear window.
It was perfect, you could still see out of it at night and you could make out if there was someone sitting in the car or not during the day.

I thought it was a little light but now I realize it seemed like a lighter tint because of the size of the cab interior. The bigger the interior the lighter the tint can be and still be dark

I asked for the 20% and my tint guy suggested 35%... I argued that the tint on my truck was too light.... long story short he was right. i should have went with the 35%.
I got the 20% on the yaris and it's kinda hard to see out of a night, and during the day you can't see in the windows.
Works out great for the drive in though LOL

I'll never go darker then 35% again though...
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #26
Kr0n1k

Drives: AE101 Prizm('07 Yaris 3DR TBA)
Since this is a tinting thread, what do the percentages stand for? For instance, New York state requires 70% light transmittance. Would that make legal tint 70% or 30%?
Kr0n1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #27
Buckethead

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Wow Tankota, great job!

You got your at Symes? They didn't have one when I went. Had to get from Wondries in Alhambra. In the flint mica too.

I'm thinking of just doing something classy, 5% all the way around.

We'll see.
Buckethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #28
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0n1k
Since this is a tinting thread, what do the percentages stand for? For instance, New York state requires 70% light transmittance. Would that make legal tint 70% or 30%?

The percentages stand for the amount of visible light that comes in the car-for example my tint is 30% all around, meaning 30% of light comes in, this is what I was told maybe I'm wrong but I believe that is what it means.
So the higher the percentage the more light, the lesser the percentage less light that comes in the car. Each state has different laws, in Minnesota where I live its 50%, but I got lower percentage anyway, most cars I see on the road their tint is darker, I was hesitant cause its illegal but generally cops (unless their a dick) can't pull you over for having darker tint but if you are pulled over for something else that is more legit they can write you up if you have an illegal tint, some might some might not, but I'm sure there are exceptions like if it was really dark (the tint), and it might depend on what area you live in, depends on how the cops are generally speaking. I personally haven't been pulled over for mine yet...I'm betting the states where it doesn't get snow and its pretty sunnny year round darker tint isn't illegal cause well its sunny majority of the time not to mention hot. But in northern states like MN obviously the tint percentage will be higher. Sorry for the novel, hope that helps!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:53 AM   #29
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
google tint laws...find a few good resurces, and if you really want to stay legal, there are some states that regulate on the total transmision of the light, so the 35% tint will let 35% of the light to pass through, but the window also stops 5% of the light from getting through, you will end up with a net of only 30% light transmittance. and if your state makes the laws off of the net number, you will technically be illegal.

but to answer your question the % in the law, and the % on the tint is both listed as the amount of light that will pass through. go to a local tint shop, and they will know all of your local laws, but will most likley tint darker than the law says you can go.

another thing is some states also check the tint as part of the "registration safety inspection" (dont have one here, just emisions check for registration) and can give it a no pass for to dark of tint..again, ask a local tint shop for details on laws, they SHOULD know them ;) or just use google, it is your frind ;P
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #30
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
FL law is %28 minimum. Tomorrow I'll head to a swap shop to check prices up and see what %35 looks on real life (that's what I'm planning on having installed if it's not too dark)
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:48 PM   #31
Dylanby

Drives: RS 5-DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrancosRt
FL law is %28 minimum. Tomorrow I'll head to a swap shop to check prices up and see what %35 looks on real life (that's what I'm planning on having installed if it's not too dark)
35% is not dark at all. That's what I have. It looks darker from the outside 'cause the RS model has black interior. Also, riceboy has 35% too & has posted some pics. My tint is the same 'cept I also have an eyebrow on the front.
Dylanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #32
casterqc

Drives: Yaris
If someone near Montreal is looking for a good tint shop just ask me.

I got my rear windows tinted at 5% and my front windows tinted at 30% for only 150$cad (tax in) on my 3drs liftback.

I have a lifetime warranty, even if the owner of the car changes. Most shops give a lifetime warranty that stops when you sell your car...and most shops were charging me 230$cad (without tax) for the same job!
casterqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:02 AM   #33
Lizardboy
Mmmmm, twisties!

Well, I finally got my windows tinted! I tried the diy, Snap Tint and that was a waste of money. I ended up taking it to Mike's Tint Shop in Riverside, CA. I LOVE it! They do all kinds of custom tint jobs with tribal flames and what not. (Apparently, they did Mini Me's Mercedes.) I just got a basic tint job, although I'm kind of wishing I got a strip across the windshield with some red, tribal flames on it. I might still do that.
Anyhow, I paid $225 for 7 windows, all tinted with 5% Llumar, and 50% metal and 50% dye. The more metal in the tint, the more heat that's blocked. I noticed a temperature drop within minutes of getting into the car. Also, If you're willing to pay more, you can get ticket protection, with which they'll strip tint for no cost if you get a ticket for the tint.
Good people over there!
It's a bit dark when driving at night without too many lights outside, but not too bad!
I'll post pics as soon as I can.
Next stop... lowering springs!!! :-)
Old 08-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #34
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
If they write you a receipt for it then they have to take the tint off for free. Most shops wont write you a receipt because it is darker then your states legal percent and they would get fined or made to take it off.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #35
casterqc

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardboy
If you're willing to pay more, you can get ticket protection, with which they'll strip tint for no cost if you get a ticket for the tint.
Paying more to take the tint off for free! hummm. That's a 5 min job with a rasor blade...so I think that "ticket protection" thing is more for their bank account than for your own satisfaction.

Also...some police officers will allow you to you leave without any ticket if you take it off right away...you simply have to make them understand that you have learned your lesson. Most of the time they will understand because they know you paid for these tinted windows.

Just don't forget to put a rasor blade somewhere in the car just in case.
casterqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #36
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by casterqc
If someone near Montreal is looking for a good tint shop just ask me.

I got my rear windows tinted at 5% and my front windows tinted at 30% for only 150$cad (tax in) on my 3drs liftback.

I have a lifetime warranty, even if the owner of the car changes. Most shops give a lifetime warranty that stops when you sell your car...and most shops were charging me 230$cad (without tax) for the same job!
Thats really cheap, wow. ^5
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote