Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2006, 07:08 PM   #37
Lizardboy
Mmmmm, twisties!

Drives: 07 Red Yaris S & 95 Miata
Here are pics of my new tint. It's 5% all around with 50% metallic. It's a very noticeable difference in temperature inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YarisTint01.jpg (173.7 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg YarisTint02.jpg (182.0 KB, 174 views)
Lizardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #38
Lizardboy
Mmmmm, twisties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris
If they write you a receipt for it then they have to take the tint off for free. Most shops wont write you a receipt because it is darker then your states legal percent and they would get fined or made to take it off.
I don't know about that. I've never heard of that around my area. Are you sure that's not a local thing? Who would enforce that type of thing? Is it a law or something?
Well, they wrote me a receipt anyways.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #39
Lizardboy
Mmmmm, twisties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casterqc
Paying more to take the tint off for free! hummm. That's a 5 min job with a rasor blade...so I think that "ticket protection" thing is more for their bank account than for your own satisfaction.

Also...some police officers will allow you to you leave without any ticket if you take it off right away...you simply have to make them understand that you have learned your lesson. Most of the time they will understand because they know you paid for these tinted windows.

Just don't forget to put a rasor blade somewhere in the car just in case.
I don't know about that either. When I put the SnapTint on and realized it wasn't going to work, it definitely took more than 5 minutes to get it off of a single window and that was even before it was completely set. It left all sorts of adhesive on the glass. I've seen tint that's been on for years and was a complete pain to take off. As far as the cops, the one's around my area definitely don't have any sympathy. They go out of their way to find reasons for ticketing you once they pull you over.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #40
casterqc

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardboy
I don't know about that either. When I put the SnapTint on and realized it wasn't going to work, it definitely took more than 5 minutes to get it off of a single window and that was even before it was completely set. It left all sorts of adhesive on the glass. I've seen tint that's been on for years and was a complete pain to take off. As far as the cops, the one's around my area definitely don't have any sympathy. They go out of their way to find reasons for ticketing you once they pull you over.
I had to take off my tinted windows once and from what I remember it didn't take me long to do it...I may have used a glue remover (solvent) tho...I don't remember.

My windows are 5% rear and 30% for the front ones...to be legal the front ones need to be 70% here...didn't get pulled over yet.

By the way great job on yours...5% all around looks amazing.
casterqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:06 AM   #41
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardboy
Here are pics of my new tint. It's 5% all around with 50% metallic. It's a very noticeable difference in temperature inside.

F*cking SICK! LOVE IT man, between the tint, your rims (LOVE THEM, great looking, simple, nice) and the paint colour - you're car is pure awesomeness!

sick!

Jem
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:23 AM   #42
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I've been shopping around and have gotten wildly different estimates.

One shop uses 3M products and charges $100 more than anyone else (over $300).

What are the 'good' brands and is 3M really worth all that?

In NJ it's illegal to put any tint on the front windows but I'm probably going with 50% on the fronts and 20% on the backs and the hatch.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:56 AM   #43
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Okay... I found a shop that will install the 3M Color-Stable tint with lifetime warranty for just under $250.

He's the trainer for 3M in NJ so he ought to be good.

Is it worth it?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #44
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I have a question or need your guys opinions...so my car is already tinted, I believe its 30%, anyway I want to re-tint my driver side window and passenger window (same side as the driver side) cause they both have some bubbles although the drivers window was my fault cause I accidently rolled the window down when I wasn't suppose to...the place I got it at has two different kinds of tint as far as quality goes, one is basic and the other is better quality with more protection and layers etc.
I have the basic one year warranty (which is already out). Should I just re-do the whole thing (every window) with the higher quality one cause I figure I will have my car for awhile and might as well right? Or is it a waste of money and just a sales gimmick? Thanks for any input or personal experience.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #45
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
If someone near Montreal is looking for a good tint shop just ask me.

I got my rear windows tinted at 5% and my front windows tinted at 30% for only 150$cad (tax in) on my 3drs liftback.

I have a lifetime warranty, even if the owner of the car changes. Most shops give a lifetime warranty that stops when you sell your car...and most shops were charging me 230$cad (without tax) for the same job!
I paid that for my 5 door RS
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #46
casterqc

I started this thread by never had the chance to post pics of my car...so here it is...5% rear and 30% front.

I wanted to tint the top part of my windshield but you can't really do it from the inside because of the black dots on the windshield behind the rear view mirror...the tint would'nt stick good and would make air bubbles.

I don't know if something like smoked 3m film would work great on the outside of the windshield...maybe I'll try one day.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:40 PM   #47
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Looks good, though you can't really see the difference between the 5% and 30%
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:59 PM   #48
casterqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy
Looks good, though you can't really see the difference between the 5% and 30%
During the day it depends where the sun is located. At night the tint surely looks like 5% all around.

At first I wanted to do 20% for the front windows...but 30% is enought if you need good visibility when driving at night.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #49
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
I started this thread by never had the chance to post pics of my car...so here it is...5% rear and 30% front.

I wanted to tint the top part of my windshield but you can't really do it from the inside because of the black dots on the windshield behind the rear view mirror...the tint would'nt stick good and would make air bubbles.

I don't know if something like smoked 3m film would work great on the outside of the windshield...maybe I'll try one day.

N.I.C.E.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #50
Wayside

Drives: 07 yaris 5spd sdn
Here is a pic of my Yaris with 35% LLumar all around.

side.jpg
Wayside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:45 AM   #51
SDsurfrider

Drives: 07 Sedan S
my photos on this thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...?t=2045&page=2
SDsurfrider is offline   Reply With Quote