Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
weeze-dog

Drives: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3
Liftback - Easiest Way to Get a Tach and Cruise Control...

Just fill this out and let Toyota know how annoyed we are. They need our feedback, if we don't demand it, they won't give it to us.
Personally, I'm not going to buy a liftback until they give the 5-speed a factory tach, and the fact that every other country gets a tach just bugs the hell out of me. On a brand new car, you shouldn't have to speed a bunch of money on aftermarket options that should be available on EVERY new car in this country.
If we let them know what we want, it we may get it on the 2008 models.
Please take a few minutes to give toyota a little piece of your mind about the lack of a tach and cruise control in the liftbback. Thanks.

Your Opinion Counts, Let Toyota Know!
weeze-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:53 AM   #2
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze-dog
Just fill this out and let Toyota know how annoyed we are. They need our feedback, if we don't demand it, they won't give it to us.
Personally, I'm not going to buy a liftback until they give the 5-speed a factory tach, and the fact that every other country gets a tach just bugs the hell out of me. On a brand new car, you shouldn't have to speed a bunch of money on aftermarket options that should be available on EVERY new car in this country.
If we let them know what we want, it we may get it on the 2008 models.
Please take a few minutes to give toyota a little piece of your mind about the lack of a tach and cruise control in the liftbback. Thanks.

Your Opinion Counts, Let Toyota Know!

Yeah, i wanna know what moron decided that every Toyota liftback should come without a Tachometer..but a mandatory "Convenience" package that includes nothing convenient to most consumers (steel wheels instead of steel wheels?? cheap CD/MP3 player, and a rear wiper i will NEVER use!?!?). "Convenience" woud be Cruise Control and the ability to monitor my engine speed!!!
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris
"Convenience" woud be Cruise Control and the ability to monitor my engine speed!!!
AMEN!!!!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
jedi1701

Drives: Yaris 2 LB
I ageee with all of this but I also have to put in my 2 cents, well maybe 3,

I know I will get hell from this but , I don't find the lack of a tach or cruise control a bad thing , What made me buy this car in the first place is the back to basic type of setup. I owned alot of VW bugs from a 1960 to a 1973 and none of them ever had cruise or a tach as an option when they were new.

Don't get me wrong I am not ready to bring back 8 tracks or anything like that but I think we are alittle spoiled. Maybe we are just not ready to go back to the basics and maybe we never will be.

I am sorry but I really love this little car just the way it is.
jedi1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
weeze-dog

Well what bugs me is that the US is the only country in the world to not get a freakin tach in the cluster. Again we get the shaft when it comes to cars. We have hardly any choices when it comes to small, versitle cars, especially hatchbacks. Some of us american don't want giant SUV's or huge sedans. And when they do give us a good small car, they screw us on options.
Oh you want a 5-speed w/Power Package, thats only available on the 2nd Tuesday of the 3rd month of the year...and only in Idaho...

It's just annoying how you can get some things, and not other basic options like a TACH and cruise. But of course they come on the sedan model. Just make you want to say DEE DEE DEE.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze-dog
Well what bugs me is that the US is the only country in the world to not get a freakin tach in the cluster. Again we get the shaft when it comes to cars. We have hardly any choices when it comes to small, versitle cars, especially hatchbacks. Some of us american don't want giant SUV's or huge sedans. And when they do give us a good small car, they screw us on options.

Oh you want a 5-speed w/Power Package, thats only available on the 2nd Tuesday of the 3rd month of the year...and only in Idaho...

It's just annoying how you can get some things, and not other basic options like a TACH and cruise. But of course they come on the sedan model. Just make you want to say DEE DEE DEE.
x2! Hell, I could live without the cruise, but really — not tach? Crazy.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
suzu

Drives: 3dr lb
I agree with jedi

Again folks, don’t get me wrong here. I am all for a tach and cruise in the LB but remember that both of these are not necessary. and here is why. Toyota introduced Yaris LB in US as an entry level car. The definition of entry level in US is different from the rest of the world. With gas as close to 5 bucks a gallon in almost everywhere (we are getting there soon), small cars are used as family cars (family with 2 children) in rest of the world. In fact in Europe, driving small cars is considered a trendy thing. Now how many of you know families of 4 or 5 here in US who would drive a Yaris. and honestly who drives Yaris LB here, its mostly young people and a few environmentally conscious drivers like myself. Toyota does not see the Yaris LB drivers in US to drive long distances at one go and hence no need for a cruise. This is a car that is designed to drive primarily in the cities and for folks to save on gas and without making frequent trips to the repair shop. Hence the Yaris LB in US has all the basic features but not the add ons like in Europe or Japan or elsewhere. Remember Toyota does not offer a Yaris 5Dr LB because they are afraid that it might cannibalize their own XA market and rightly so.
suzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
jedi1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzu
Again folks, don’t get me wrong here. I am all for a tach and cruise in the LB but remember that both of these are not necessary. and here is why. Toyota introduced Yaris LB in US as an entry level car. The definition of entry level in US is different from the rest of the world. With gas as close to 5 bucks a gallon in almost everywhere (we are getting there soon), small cars are used as family cars (family with 2 children) in rest of the world. In fact in Europe, driving small cars is considered a trendy thing. Now how many of you know families of 4 or 5 here in US who would drive a Yaris. and honestly who drives Yaris LB here, its mostly young people and a few environmentally conscious drivers like myself. Toyota does not see the Yaris LB drivers in US to drive long distances at one go and hence no need for a cruise. This is a car that is designed to drive primarily in the cities and for folks to save on gas and without making frequent trips to the repair shop. Hence the Yaris LB in US has all the basic features but not the add ons like in Europe or Japan or elsewhere. Remember Toyota does not offer a Yaris 5Dr LB because they are afraid that it might cannibalize their own XA market and rightly so.

I think you hit it on the head, I bought my 2 door LB just as a fun to drive to and from work car. I have a wife and 2 kids (well grown kids) and when we all go out we take the family car (a jetta wagon ) I think Toyota is on track offering this car the way they do for the U.S. there are already so many loaded cars out there, why add another. Lets try to just accept the car the way they intended it to be for this market, a low priced starter car that really is built nice for a change.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
Thirty-Nine

Although I understand your logic suzu, I still maintain the idea the car should come standard with a tach, or at least have it as an option. I'd gladly pay $200 for a tach option — no joke.

The Aveo offers one. The Accent offers one. The Fit has one.

There's no excuse to at least not have one as an option for those that desire it.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
weeze-dog

I think the reason the reason there is no tach is that they wanted to hit a price under $11K so they could advertize the hell out of it. Almost every ad I've seen for the yaris has the $10,950 price point advertized. There's only so many ways to cut corners.
It's obvious they were determined to hit that price point since the base model doesn't even have a radio (BTW you can't even buy one without the convience package) Its all about marketing that low low price to the consumer to lure them in to the stealership.
It doesn't have anything to do with people not wanting a tach, it has everything to do with hitting that magical $10,xxx price. At least they could do is make it an option.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #11
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
You have an interesting point weeze-dog, I've never thought of seeing it that way. I can feel your pain but as others have said majority of Americans aren't going to use this as a primary family hauler hatch or sedan, not to say they have too but obviously this car has a different positioning than other markets, its to start you off with a Toyota in hoping later on you would purchase a bigger car from them.
Personally I just rely on my scanguage to see rpm's, I do have an automactic and we can all argue why would you want a tach with an auto till we're blue in the face but its just more asthetics than anything (at least in my case). But as weeze-dog mentioned at the begining I'm sure if Toyota got a influx of customer requests for tach and maybe other stuff Toyota will get the point, maybe not in till the refreshed Yaris MY2010-estimate but hopefully sooner than later and another point is as gas prices raise obviously people will look for more effecient means of transportation and will expect more out of them and the mentality will somewhat change that we want premium compacts-oh well, we'll see!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
I hardly ever use curise control. As for a tach I don't really need one on a car like the Yaris. I do remember when tachs were only on sports cars and high priced cars. I have driven my Yaris for 240 miles now and I like it more every mile. It is a well though out car.
boxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #13
weeze-dog

Well to get the best gas mileage out of the car requires shifting at the right RPM (usually between 3 and 4 grand). There's really no way to do that consistantly without a tach. You can guesstimate it based on road speed (if you do the math before hand and know about what speeds are the optimum shift points). Shifting by engine sound is too subjective, depending on the loudness of the stereo or outside noise, I doubt the engine gets really noisy until 5K+, but since I haven't driven one, I can't say for sure. I've driven an echo before, but that was years ago. I don't believe the yaris has a shift light either???
An aftermarket tach in the A-pillar wouldn't be so bad if the guage cluster wasn't in the center of the dash. But with guages in the center, you would have to look back and forth from the A-pillar to the center guages.
The whole center cluster trend is BS, they try to tell you "studies have shown that it takes your eyes off the road for less amount of time." Nooo, studies have shown that its cheaper for you to put the guages in the center so you can use the same dash on left and right hand drive vehicles. I don't think anyone cares too much for the center-mounted guages showing up in newer vehicles. (Notice how its only the cheaper cars that have the center mounted guages?)
I would just like to see them use the Canadian cluster, a very simple split tach/speedo design.
I'm holding out to see what changes are in the 2008 model before I buy.I'm hoping they get enough complaints to add a tach and offer cruise as an option. I use cruise all the time, most of my driving is on the interstate, though generally for not more than 20-60min at a time.
I'll actually buy the canadian cluster if I have to, I can deal with the MPH in small print. I'd like the sedan cluster, but it has a different harness from what I've read.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2006, 06:44 AM   #14
jedi1701

I don't know about anyone else but I have owned alot of manuals in the past and driving this Yaris 5 speed without a tach is a piece of cake. You don't need a tach to get good gas mileage , you can feel when it's the right time to shift,you get use to when it's time to shift and you can use the spedo to tell , it's not rocket science.

I always short shift alittle (I don't like pushing the rev's up to much) and this car shifts like a dream. "Close your eye's and Use the force"
Old 06-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #15
Thirty-Nine

It's not that I couldn't drive a Yaris without a tach, but for spirited driving, such as autocross, it's nice to have. Hell, it's nice to have in any situation, at least for me. I'd rather have it than not. I like to know my engine speed while driving. And as far as cost-cutting, I don't know how much it'd cut off. I would have gladly given up the cubby in front of the steering wheel or the sliding rear bench in place of a tach, but that's just me.

It's all a moot point anyway. I could complain till I'm blue in the face, but it isn't going to make a difference — at least not for 2007 models.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #16
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1701
I don't know about anyone else but I have owned alot of manuals in the past and driving this Yaris 5 speed without a tach is a piece of cake. You don't need a tach to get good gas mileage , you can feel when it's the right time to shift,you get use to when it's time to shift and you can use the spedo to tell , it's not rocket science.

I always short shift alittle (I don't like pushing the rev's up to much) and this car shifts like a dream. "Close your eye's and Use the force"
I agree with you. I bought the Yaris because it gets good gas mileage. I don't have to drive it different to get it. I drive with the flow of traffic.
boxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:59 AM   #17
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
I have cruise and a tach
Kinda glad i dont like hatch backs
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:06 AM   #18
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine
It's not that I couldn't drive a Yaris without a tach, but for spirited driving, such as autocross, it's nice to have. Hell, it's nice to have in any situation, at least for me. I'd rather have it than not. I like to know my engine speed while driving. And as far as cost-cutting, I don't know how much it'd cut off. I would have gladly given up the cubby in front of the steering wheel or the sliding rear bench in place of a tach, but that's just me.

It's all a moot point anyway. I could complain till I'm blue in the face, but it isn't going to make a difference — at least not for 2007 models.

Yes, autocrossing the yaris LB is in my immediate future as well

is the USDM Liftback Yaris the only one without a tach in the cluster?? if so, then wouldn't it actually be MORE EXPENSIVE to make a special cluster WITHOUT the tach just for our LB's??! I think it should've been an option as well as cruise, but oh well.
Again, the "CONVENIENCE" package is a crock of sh1t! A MANDATORY OPTION so Toyota can justify a $10,950 starting price...tsk tsk..
I really want to know if they even produce a non-Rear wiper USDM liftback at the factory..because the hole for it is in the sheetmetal.. but, i digress...
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote