Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
JDM folding mirrors with signals............

can the outer housing from JDM folding mirrors (with turn signals) be swapped for our North American outer housing?

ie: can I remove my white, outer housing and put it in place of where the turn-signal outer was?

I've found these mirrors (folding???? with turn signals) but I'd like to use my white outer covers with them

anyone know?

3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
anyone know if turn signal mirrors actuallly fold?

these are the results I came up with when I searched for the part #'s I had for folding mirrors

Will
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Swapped a pair of Scion XD mirrors with the signal for my 07 ones. As I recall the outer cover will not swap on its own. The scion mirrors do fold but are not power fold.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
There is a power folding set if you go JDM. I think it'd probably be easier if you were to re-paint the ones that came with, rather than modifying the ones you have.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
GPBIG

Drives: Yaris HB 2007
Did you intalled it on your car?
GPBIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:37 AM   #6
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
get the mirror covers from an XD, XB, or TC2.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
Those are not a factory Toyota Yaris mirror.
100% aftermarket. JDM
This I know due to the last time I was in Bangkok Thailand I purchased a set for my 2008 H/B from the Toyota dealership in Bangkok with the installed turn signals without auto folding.
I hope you can get them working and please post some pics so we can see how they look.
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
there are two versions of side mirror turn signals in thailand--one auto folding and one that's not.

J and E trim levels don't have it (but still powered mirrors) while G and TRD Sportivo trim levels do.

i'll post pics of mine as soon as i complete the folding mirrors project. i'm still in the process of figuring out how hard it will be to route wire through the rubber on the doors to the car frame. (as i havent taken my door sidings apart yet)
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
there are two versions of side mirror turn signals in thailand--one auto folding and one that's not.

J and E trim levels don't have it (but still powered mirrors) while G and TRD Sportivo trim levels do.

i'll post pics of mine as soon as i complete the folding mirrors project. i'm still in the process of figuring out how hard it will be to route wire through the rubber on the doors to the car frame. (as i havent taken my door sidings apart yet)
It is actually fairly easy to get a wire though the rubber boot. Pull off the kick panel by your feet (inside the car) and pop the boot off of the car frame. Now, you can shove the wire out the hole, just above the connectors under the kick panel and then feed them into the open end of the boot. With the boot pulled out of the car frame you don't have to fight to get the wire to make the bend, as you can hold the boot straight and easily feed the wire though the boot, into the door.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
jcboy

yay, thanks ctscott! My friend is still a long way from coming here (she's still in California for the next 3 months or so), that's why i haven't gotten the harness from you.
What i did was buy 18 gauge wires (per kilo instead of per foot), and multipin connectors (OEM, used and in pairs, male/female) from the junkyard to substitute for the OEM ones. i'm thinking of getting just aftermarket connectors (below) as the oem ones' hard plastic may cause some clunking noise on the doors.

I'll post pics when I'm done this Saturday (fingers crossed).

Last edited by jcboy; 09-30-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
I used some mechanics wire with the new wire taped to it.
Grease the end going in first and work it thru the boot into the door.
Gently pull your wire thru.
Norton
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #12
jcboy

yes, scott is right, the retract is a function of the mirrors, unlike the power retract mirrors of old that sent the power through a relay. The ones from the philippines have a 10pin socket for the mirrors unlike the jdm ones (RHD though) that have a 5- and 2-pin combo.

Last edited by jcboy; 10-07-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
do they have the folding mirrors for the 2012 yaris ?

Also, for these turn signals are they easy to install ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YARIS-2012-L...item19d5c8ed96
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:13 AM   #14
jcboy

I have no idea TBH, let alone we dont have the same yaris anymore after this model (mine).

Re ease of install, you actually can tap from the front signals as how they are originally wired. This way you can get 2 pairs of equal length wires to run from the door, through the fenders and then to the engine bay/wires going to the headlight.

If you want to be anal about it (cleaner install, like how i did it), you can ask scott or look around where your turn signals +12V are in the Junction Box.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #15
ucsmfu

Quote:
I have no idea TBH, let alone we dont have the same yaris anymore after this model (mine).

Re ease of install, you actually can tap from the front signals as how they are originally wired. This way you can get 2 pairs of equal length wires to run from the door, through the fenders and then to the engine bay/wires going to the headlight.

If you want to be anal about it (cleaner install, like how i did it), you can ask scott or look around where your turn signals +12V are in the Junction Box.

icic, thanks :)

Scott, do you think these will fit ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/YARIS-2012-L...item19d5c8ed96

Also, is the wiring fairly easy ? just tap it into turn signal ?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
jcboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsmfu View Post
do they have the folding mirrors for the 2012 yaris ?

Also, for these turn signals are they easy to install ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YARIS-2012-L...item19d5c8ed96
i have noticed that regardless of the yaris design (yours/japan/euro or the asian/philippines/thailand), it's still the same mirror assembly design. we have power folding here for the top grade as well as turn signal repeaters on them, (1.5 G).

i'm thinking rather than use rhd mirrors, you can also use philippine versions as we (us/canada and us) drive on the correct side of the road. LOL. Thai DM and JDM have those too, but they are RHD. Im not sure if that's going to matter since you're going to transfer the mirror base to yours anyway.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
ucsmfu

Quote:
i have noticed that regardless of the yaris design (yours/japan/euro or the asian/philippines/thailand), it's still the same mirror assembly design. we have power folding here for the top grade as well as turn signal repeaters on them, (1.5 G).

i'm thinking rather than use rhd mirrors, you can also use philippine versions as we (us/canada and us) drive on the correct side of the road. LOL. Thai DM and JDM have those too, but they are RHD. Im not sure if that's going to matter since you're going to transfer the mirror base to yours anyway.
so the JDM sedan mirrors are the same as USDM/Canadian version ?

Any way to order a cheap set from asia ?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #18
jcboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsmfu View Post
so the JDM sedan mirrors are the same as USDM/Canadian version ?

Any way to order a cheap set from asia ?

Thanks
the jdm is the same as USDM/Canadian version insofar as the body style of the entire car goes. insofar as the mirror assembly goes, they seem to all look the same, though i've looked carefully at the pictures of the yaris/yaris sedan/xd over there and it seems that the mirrors have a different pattern at the back, insofar as the clips go. even your xd ones are different from your yaris.

which means that the white plastic part of the motor also have a different pattern, and if youll need to replace your mirrors someday, you may have to source out from a country that has a similar clip pattern, or swap out the white plastic part of the motor that attaches to the mirror glass.

cheap from asia? dunno, but definitely not cheap from japan. soon probably and most likely from thailand. if you want real cheap, you'll have to wait for 2-3 years and it will be most likely from the philippines. LOL

here you go: our mirror (glass) and motor clips are farther apart than yours over there, with some clip locations that we don't have. we only have the 2 hooks and 2 clips--while you have 2 hooks and 4 clips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
Bam!

Last edited by jcboy; 10-07-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added PhDM mirror for comparison