Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Angry spray paint removal of cars paint job

Hello to all, my wife accidently sprayed painted the passenger door with spray paint ( she was painting an emblem ) to her vehicle and did not notice the damage she did to my car its that big but I know its there, is there a way I can take it off, or need to go take my car to get painted.
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
turtle wax rubbing compound then wax it again, might take some luster away, but the paint will be gone and not eat through your current paint.

Its nice to take away scratches after a small hit and run scuff
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Vang

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
hit up meguiars forum.. they got professional auto detailers that can give you useful info on your troubles
Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
big lo

Thanks, for all the replys, I ll try them all when it stops raining so I may wash before using any compounds on the vehilce. Part two coming soon about the out come. HOLLA AT ME.. PR is raining like cats & dogs...
Old 05-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Heya big lo, I have a very good buddy that has been in the autobody world for about 20 years and he had a couple ideas to pass your way along with the correct items to purchase to get you out of the jam that you are in. The first true step though would be to provide some pictures.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
3m adhesive remover will take it off without damaging your paint. Another option is to use brake cleaner. Little dangerouse if you do it carefully and spray a bit on a microfiber cloth and gently rub the areas where the paint is it will take it off. Make sure you polish and wax the area afterwards. Brake cleaner is cheap and readily available and typically wont hurt most cured automotive paints.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:53 AM   #7
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Wet sand little by little on the area where it was painted with a 3000 grit sand paper, polish with 3M Scratch remover and lastly apply Paint cleaner for a super bright finish!
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:58 AM   #8
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Don't compound it !!!

Try this first. You don't want to wait till the rain stops either. The sooner the better. SATURATE a MF cloth with rubbing alcohol, and GENTLY rub the spray painted area. Don't rub agressively, do it nice and easy till the paint starts coming on the rag, then press just a little to get it all. You may have to re-saturate the rag multiple times, but it'll take the FRESH PAINT, and Leave the original finish intact. I've done it on many cars and it works fine. You could use liquid citrus cleaner, but be sure not to use the aerosol type, cause the propellant will eat yor finish... Use gloves if you have em, will save your hands from drying out and.... Alcohol is absorbed through the skin...

Hope this is not too late, and you didn't do anything yet.
Good Luck !! and Go Getum !!!
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #9
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Once I dropped a 1/4 full can of spray paint on the driveway. The nozzle broke off and sprayed my truck. I tried a lot of things and nothing really worked. Luckly the truck was freshly waxed and I was able to scrape off the little dots with my finger nail. What a mess. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Once I dropped a 1/4 full can of spray paint on the driveway. The nozzle broke off and sprayed my truck. I tried a lot of things and nothing really worked. Luckly the truck was freshly waxed and I was able to scrape off the little dots with my finger nail. What a mess. Good luck.
Yeah, often overspray like this is really not that well bonded to the paint.
This is because it is basically almost "dry" before it lands on the paint.

Add to this that the host paint has some wax on it and the overspray often comes off relatively easy.

I have had this happen to a couple of cars in the past and I simply used some "cleaner wax" to remove it.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
big lo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas13 View Post
Wet sand little by little on the area where it was painted with a 3000 grit sand paper, polish with 3M Scratch remover and lastly apply Paint cleaner for a super bright finish!
This is what a good friend of mine told me to do as well, his has been painting cars for more than 30 years (old as hell) but I trust his words and along with yours, I havent had the time with work and all but the products I do have, so good looking my good felo. I know that this is going to work out fine. HOLLA AT ME PR IS REPRESENTING ALL DAY. Thanks to all as well.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:45 AM   #12
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by big lo View Post
This is what a good friend of mine told me to do as well, his has been painting cars for more than 30 years (old as hell) but I trust his words and along with yours, I havent had the time with work and all but the products I do have, so good looking my good felo. I know that this is going to work out fine. HOLLA AT ME PR IS REPRESENTING ALL DAY. Thanks to all as well.
Good luck removing that paint,just ask any questions if you are not sure about something,

Make to sure to have a Spray bottle with water, a cotton towel, the 3000 sand paper and nice shade! Do it in straight motion never in circular
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
TKO

Drives: 4 door hatch
go to home depot and get a can of goof off...it will do the job.
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
RevoluScion

Drives: tC
i dont know if you fixed the problem but this is what i use and it works best and fast.
http://www.smartwax-usa.com/ProductD...ode=SM_CRW_101

Team & Individual Sponsors:
MOTUL - SMARTWAX - K&N - AEM - TOKICO - R1 CONCEPTS - TOYO TIRES - CROSSFIRE - G2 AUTOSPORTS - M2- NRG - MISHIMOTO - ROTORA - VERTICAL DOORS - CLAZZIO - K&R DIGITAL - EURO LIGHTS - 5ZIGEN
we are a family oriented all Toyota brand Car Club! toyota, lexus, yaris & Scion Bienbenidos!!!!
RevoluScion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:00 AM   #15
JetfireK

Drives: 2008 3 Dr Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by big lo View Post
Hello to all, my wife accidently sprayed painted the passenger door with spray paint ( she was painting an emblem ) to her vehicle and did not notice the damage she did to my car its that big but I know its there, is there a way I can take it off, or need to go take my car to get painted.
WD 40 takes all the bugs off....might work? also if you get grease on your driveway just spray with WD40 let it sit....if still there spray again works like a charm..

Hope you get the overspray off...
JetfireK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #16
big lo

Yeah, but sh!t happens, but I had that problem resolved already after about 2 weeks my car was hit, and the insurance took care of everything only took, three days without my car but she is as good as new, still pimpin baby. Thanxs to all the positive feed, maybe someone could use this info for them. Peace out to all, and holla at me in PR, one.