Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
oil sample befor warranty expires

Was thinking to send off an oil sample to be tested before 100k powertrain warranty expires. I have done my own oil changes but didn't keep records.
I dont expect to find any issues at 96,000 miles. Would be interested to find out how much life in oil at 7,500 miles? I run Mobil1 full synthetic.
Anyone do an oil sample?
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
With out keeping a history of oil samples then there would be limited amount of information you would get with out being able to compare to past test off your engine.

What would you be looking for?
Do you think you would find something in an oil sample that would point to work needing to be done that would fall under warranty with keeping records?
Your warranty would be void at 7,000 miles between oil changes anyway for most engine warranty work…
Old 09-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
bankrobber

Yea, your probably right on the oil change interval.
I actually know a guy that works with Amsoil and he does warranty claims and can actually get your engine covered by warranty even going beyond recomended change interval. He has done a few cases where he proved that major engine componets failed and the lack of oil change would not have prevented failure. I will test oil in a few weeks after I get the kit mailed to me and I will post results. I change filter around 3,500 miles and run the oil between 7-10,000 miles. It will be intersting to see.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Just wondering, but why do you run oil that long? The dealership told me to change mine every 5000 miles, so that's what I've been doing. Actually will be changing it after work today (14,976 total miles today).

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
bankrobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Just wondering, but why do you run oil that long? The dealership told me to change mine every 5000 miles, so that's what I've been doing. Actually will be changing it after work today (14,976 total miles today).
I use synthetic oil. Ir I ran reqular oil I would change it more often. I am at 95,000 miles and not burning any oil.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
bmw uses a standard 15000 mile change interval on castrol full synthetic. it's usually sludging up about 500 miles after this if people dont get it done on time.

but...people will do what they want. i change my oil on time every time cuz my car is under warranty. when it's done, i may go to a 7k or 8k interval...even try 10 a time or two who knows. but if the oil is still good, why not just change the filter and top the oil? when i change mine at 5k it's almost brand new looking. hardly changed colors at all which tells me that it's still good. when it breaks down or gets deposits it will change colors.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
It cannot hurt to get a test and see what it shows. It should be interesting to see.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
bmw uses a standard 15000 mile change interval on castrol full synthetic. it's usually sludging up about 500 miles after this if people dont get it done on time.

but...people will do what they want. i change my oil on time every time cuz my car is under warranty. when it's done, i may go to a 7k or 8k interval...even try 10 a time or two who knows. but if the oil is still good, why not just change the filter and top the oil? when i change mine at 5k it's almost brand new looking. hardly changed colors at all which tells me that it's still good. when it breaks down or gets deposits it will change colors.
I've done oil changes on the newer BMW's/MINI's that recommend those ridiculous intervals, and the oil comes out thick and black with a metallic shine to it. It's not what I'd want coming out of my engine...
Even once you refill it and check the level the oil looks black on the dipstick.
7,500 is about as far as I would go.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
bankrobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_vitz View Post
I've done oil changes on the newer BMW's/MINI's that recommend those ridiculous intervals, and the oil comes out thick and black with a metallic shine to it. It's not what I'd want coming out of my engine...
Even once you refill it and check the level the oil looks black on the dipstick.
7,500 is about as far as I would go.
Black color does not automatically mean the oil is bad. It can turn black fast but still be good oil.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
Black color does not automatically mean the oil is bad. It can turn black fast but still be good oil.
I agree, but metallic content in the oil is never good. It's like when you spin off a filter and it's three times it's original weight...can't be good. Everyone will change their oil when they choose to, I'd rather spend $30 to change my oil more often than spending $$$$ on an engine...that's just my take on it.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Bankrobber,

An oil analysis would be a great idea IMO. As mentioned above you don't have any previous data to trend with but will still be able to spot problems such as internal coolant leaks, dirt ingress or major wear issues. Post your report here so we can see it. I've seen several Yaris UOAs (including my own)and they almost always look really good. Post yours up and we'll help you interp it.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
bankrobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Bankrobber,

An oil analysis would be a great idea IMO. As mentioned above you don't have any previous data to trend with but will still be able to spot problems such as internal coolant leaks, dirt ingress or major wear issues. Post your report here so we can see it. I've seen several Yaris UOAs (including my own)and they almost always look really good. Post yours up and we'll help you interp it.
Ok, I will post it probably be 2 weeks though