Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-03-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Does the sedan and LB have a different driving feeling?

I myself own an LB and my gf has owned her sedan for a few years now (her having the Yaris is what influenced me to buy one a year later). I obviously drive my LB daily and I also get to hop in her sedan and drive it often. I don't know if it's just me but it feels like a noticeable difference in how the cars drive. The sedan feels like it's "planted" and a bit better of a ride while my LB feels a bit sportier but at the same time it seems a bit "sketchier" if that makes sense. Now my LB was rear ended before but everything was fixed up perfect and the cambers, toes etc of the rear wheels are dead on how they should be stock.

Only thing I can think of maybe that makes my LB feel more rigid and sketchier is that I have a TRD rear sway bar on it so maybe that's why my LB feels "stiff" and when I hop in the gf's car hers feels comfy and relaxed because she doesn't have a bar..
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
well there are some differences, yes... if you put a stock sedan and a stock LB side by side, the sedan is a little lower, roof-wise, so that's gonna help a bit with stability. And the distribution of weight behind the rear wheels will certainly make it feel different during turns..

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
You're right, they are very different.

Like eTiMaGo says, a stock sedan is lower, it's also wider with a longer wheel base. These are the major factors which lead to the differences you feel.

As I've said in other threads, we were going to buy a hatch, but were so surprised at the differences between the two cars that we ended up with the sedan.

We both think the hatch looks nicer, and is more fun to drive in the city, but it's not as stable on the hwy, has a lot more road noise in an already noisy car, and the driving position is a little odd for us with it being higher up. The sedan is more of a traditional driving position and allows me to not get cramps.

The hatch also has more headroom, but less room width wise.

Even though the sedan is not a hwy car, it's much better for us as we drive mostly hwy, but the hatch is even easier to park and much more fun with handling at city speeds.

Don't forget, these are two different cars.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I myself own an LB and my gf has owned her sedan for a few years now (her having the Yaris is what influenced me to buy one a year later). I obviously drive my LB daily and I also get to hop in her sedan and drive it often. I don't know if it's just me but it feels like a noticeable difference in how the cars drive. The sedan feels like it's "planted" and a bit better of a ride while my LB feels a bit sportier but at the same time it seems a bit "sketchier" if that makes sense. Now my LB was rear ended before but everything was fixed up perfect and the cambers, toes etc of the rear wheels are dead on how they should be stock.

Only thing I can think of maybe that makes my LB feel more rigid and sketchier is that I have a TRD rear sway bar on it so maybe that's why my LB feels "stiff" and when I hop in the gf's car hers feels comfy and relaxed because she doesn't have a bar..
I've not experienced the LB but can offer my input regarding the sedan.
The TRD anti-swaybar makes a world of difference in the sedan. I installed mine a few weeks before the rest of the TRD suspension components and couldn't believe how much better it drove. Cornering is much more confident without all the OEM body lean, understeer is reduced to reasonable amounts and highway crosswind stability is hugely improved.
I've said it before. Every Yaris sedan should come from the factory with the rear anti-swaybar because ride comfort isn't compromised in the least while handling is increased greatly.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
It shouldn't come as any surprise that the two drive and feel different.

Just the different wheelbase and overall length alone accomplishes the difference.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
the main thing i noticed is more road noise in the hatch, but that is just the nature of the beast with all hatchbacks with the rear wheels being under an empty hull.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Spending a hundred bucks on some RaamMat solves the noisy-rear-end problem on the hatch quite nicely. :)
Old 04-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
I drove a sedan before I drove the hatch, simply put the sedan felt "smoother" and more.. idk, stable? However, the hatch isn't horrible compared to it and I'm shallow so I chose the hatch for its looks & convenience ;)
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
It shouldn't come as any surprise that the two drive and feel different.

Just the different wheelbase and overall length alone accomplishes the difference.
Two completely different models (HB=Yitz & Sedan=Belta) marketed in some countries as the same (Yaris).
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I think it would've been far more sensible not to give them the same name as they did in the U.S. They're really different cars.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
I think it would've been far more sensible not to give them the same name as they did in the U.S. They're really different cars.
They were probably afraid of confusing us simpletons.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
mkaresh

Drives: Mazda Protege5
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post

Interesting, thanks for posting this.

The rear sway bar shouldn't make the ride feel significantly stiffer, but should make the car feel more stable and understeer less in hard turns.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

There's a big difference in the feeling of "ride stiffness" with maximum sidewall air pressure in the tires, vs. door jamb recommended pressure.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote