Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
sound deadening material??? are names worth it?

i'm looking over on sonicelectronix.com and there's a ton of different materials in different thicknesses, and a million different prices.

i'm thinking about this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+DEATHMAT.html

i like the fact that it's aluminum faced and self stick (which most of them are just butyl rubber...good for insulating sound and temps), and it's cheap...and it's got free shipping when everything else is 35 bux to ship. it's the same material as dynamat, weighs less, has the thermal barriers, and comes in perfect length/width cuts already. i hate cutting butyl...it's so dang sticky it'd stick to a teflon skillet. any way, i just want to do the firewall, floor, trunk and roof of my HB. i'll do the doors when i do speakers, but for now....road noise is killer. and it's coming from the wheel wells.

any way, just looking for some experienced users of sound deadening stuff. is dynamat worth the name's price vs similar products?

this is nice too...even cheaper:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Truck+Kit.html
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
...it's supposed to be sticky...

The mass is a good thing. Instead of Dynamat, I use Roadkill and various closed cell foams. From Raamat's Ensolite to Dynamat's Dynaliner, my favorite foam is Roadkill's though. That stuff rocks my world.

There are various people, such as myself on this forum that use different material. I'd suggest looking at my install page and Derick's install page to get some great ideas.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
severous01

ya i checked it out. i've been thinkin bout it for a while now and finally decided that it's worth the trouble and a few hundred bux. but other than names, most of what i'm seeing is aluminum surfaced butyl rubber mats. and all of it is .085" thick or 2.1mm which is very close. so...it's all the same...butyl, aluminum and thickness

so, what' i'm thinkin is the cheap crap, that has free shipping. it's like name brand vs storebought. most of the time it's just relabled stuff.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

If that's what you're aiming for, price point, go Raamat.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
Speaking of sound deadening... I just ordered some more dynamat from amazon. Alot cheaper than sonic is selling it for. W/ free super saver shipping! I've used it before on the rear half of my yari, planning on gutting and doing the rest next while I'm on staycation.
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
for now....road noise is killer. and it's coming from the wheel wells.

any way, just looking for some experienced users of sound deadening stuff. is dynamat worth the name's price vs similar products?
If road noise is your main issue, think like this...

Sound Barrier = MLV (mass loaded vinyl)

Control panel resonance = CLD Tiles you only need 25% of flat areas

CCF or Closed Cell Foam to absorb some very high frequency noise, working together with CLD Tiles

Like sqcomp check out what we have done and will give you an idea

If you want to get rid of "road noise" my best recomendation is MLV and treat big flat metal areas with thick Mat or even better CLD Tiles.

Good luck

Derick
Old 08-06-2010, 02:06 AM   #7
FcukThis

Drives: yaris
+1 for raam.

i use "second skin" deadening, ensolite, & roof guard as a cheapo resonance deadener.
FcukThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #8
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I have used a lot of the different brands out there, and i've yet to come across one that was exactly like Dynamat extreme. However, there are some that are very similar.... similar enough to go with the cheaper option.

regardless.... its worth the time/money effort if you enjoy stereo, or a quiet ride. I've already put 62sq ft of raammat plus closed cell foam in my car, and i expect to put at least another 3- sq ft more in.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
How much would it be to completely do a HB?

I just recently decided that I'm gonna be doing this because when I replaced the interior side panels the other day I found what Toyota decided was good enough to deaden the road noise!

No wonder I get told to close the window when I am on my blue tooth on the highway with the windows closed!
bkndacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
derickveliz2

I used Mat from RAMM, Rick very nice guy and sent me every thing I ordered from Utah.

It's cheap flexible but messy! I didn't use it to block road noise, but to improve acoustical inside front doors and trunk. AND WHEN I DID NOT BELIEVE IN CLD TILES.

Be careful, if you leave a peace unattended

Check out this video to see how the CLD Tiles work to get rid of resonances in the trunk...

VIDEO, CLICK HERE

Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
yeah.... have one of those cheap utility razor knifes for cutting mat. that way you only have to replace the razor to clean it up.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
derickveliz2

Maybe you've seen this before...
Here is some good old reading...

derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
severous01

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
I used Mat from RAMM, Rick very nice guy and sent me every thing I ordered from Utah.

It's cheap flexible but messy! I didn't use it to block road noise, but to improve acoustical inside front doors and trunk. AND WHEN I DID NOT BELIEVE IN CLD TILES.

man i'm sorry...that sucks. i use brake cleaner on a rag for unpainted parts (leather, vinyl, and such), or some acri-sol. acri is bad stuff...it'll get anything out if you do it right. any way, just spray a rag til it's soaked, then wipe whatever you need cleaned. dont scrub or you'll take a chance at changing the colors.

also, i dont want my car 'silent' or set up for SPL competitions or anything. i just dont want to have to crank up the radio to get over the road noise. i'll check out the tiles for the big panels and just cover it all up with butyl stuff like dynamat extreme.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I used FatMat.
2 years later and no smell,lifting or peeling anywhere.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I used EDead on my last vehicle...It was an unmitigated disaster. Most of it fell off within a few months.

I'm using Stinger's Roakill Expert which is essentially the same thing as Dynamat extreme except lower cost. I'm mixing that with Raamat's ensolite, Dynamat's Dynaliner, and Roadkill's Overkill foam.

The latter works spectacularly! You should give my roof a rap to see. It works better than the 1/2 Dynaliner by a noticable amount.

Last edited by sqcomp; 08-07-2010 at 05:01 PM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
I have only done my front doors for now but I used Hushmat. We sell it and Dynamat but Dynamat has a huge price increase recently. I put 35 square feet in the 2 doors and it works great.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote