Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:19 AM   #19
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
BTW, I'll agree that the Yaris's rear end likes to get a little squirmy at times.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #20
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
all USDM vehicles will have some form of vehicle stability by I think 2010...or 2012...another govt mandated 'accessory' just like TPMS, ABS and seatbelts.....
Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #21
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
BTW, I'll agree that the Yaris's rear end likes to get a little squirmy at times.
I've read this is only a problem if you don't have their poor mans traction control. I think they call it ECP. I have have that; as it comes with ABS here; I drive defensively and I've had no issues with a squirmy back end.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #22
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
They might have less of a back end issue if the tires were inflated to the proper pressure. At 32# yes, it felt really sloppy/wobbly, at 40# much better and at 42# great. The tires list max pressure on mine at 44#. Maybe this is the reason law enforcement keeps their tires inflated to max sidewall?

Mine handles fine. I am in process of perfecting my coasting and find I can take ramps at a much higher speed with more air in the tires. I’m not saying tire squealing speeds but I feel very safe maintaining more momentum now.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #23
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
I do recall CU recommending many domestic cars that fell apart within a year.

Don't ALL domestic cars fall apart after a year? I thought that was a given. Isn't that why nobody is buying domestic cars anymore?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #24
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
I do recall CU recommending many domestic cars that fell apart within a year.

Don't ALL domestic cars fall apart after a year? I thought that was a given. Isn't that why nobody is buying domestic cars anymore?
No, domestics do not fall apart after a year. Take a look at Europe. Ford is huge in Europe and can't get enough of them. GM has quite the sizable market in there as well especially with commercial vehicles. Back to your post, having the two side by side, one on one, makes it pretty easy to see which one is the winner....it's whatever the consumer likes. When you bought your Yaris, I'm sure something attracted you to it. When you bought your Phit, I'm sure something attracted you to it. Good luck with your problem and I hope you find what you are looking for, Bobby.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #25
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
why even comment on this...? i will repeat myself, IF YOU NEED ECP/VSC , you better stay off the road. How did you manage to drive without it when they weren't invented yet? you suddenly forgot how to handle a car? articles/people like this drive me nuts.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #26
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
....followed by a comment usually no?
im just having trouble understanding the logic of people claiming that VSC should be standard, how did they drive before VSC?
People just want less and less stuff to do/learn in their cars so they can text/talk to people on their cell phones while they're driving. Soon it'll be like Minority Report and we'll all just have the exact same transport units attached to our homes that automatically drive us to where we're going. Oh well, at least there won't be any more traffic collisions...
Old 01-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #27
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
It would be a nice feature to have the ability to turn off IMO. It still doesn't make me run out and by a Phit. My Tuscon came with it standard, but I really do not want it. I believe the Phit has it as a standard option
Old 01-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #28
bobby

Quote:
....followed by a comment usually no?
im just having trouble understanding the logic of people claiming that VSC should be standard, how did they drive before VSC?
I think this argument is so dumb. Of course people drove before VSC...less safely. People drove before air bags, seat belts, padded dash boards, and safety glass. Kids didn't need to be secured in car seats either. Does that mean we should remove these features from cars? VSC helps cars handle better, allowing the driver less chance of an accident in certain situations...what's so wrong with that??

As safety features evolve, should we ignore them & keep them out of cars because we didn't have them previously?? That just seems so illogical to me.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #29
bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
It would be a nice feature to have the ability to turn off IMO. It still doesn't make me run out and by a Phit. My Tuscon came with it standard, but I really do not want it. I believe the Phit has it as a standard option

The VSC in my Phit can be turned off by pressing a button. So far, I haven't seen the need to do that. The Phit--with the VSC--feels very secure on the road.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #30
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I like Consumers Reports, but I have noticed over the years that they have a bias towards Japanese cars over American cars. One great example is the Toyota Corolla and Chevy/Geo Prism. The cars are almost the same, except for the grill and back end....same engine and drive train. CR always rates the Corolla higher than the Prism.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #31
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Consumer's Reports are nice, but I'd rather buy a car because I like it, not because someone else does.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #32
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
I think this argument is so dumb. Of course people drove before VSC...less safely. People drove before air bags, seat belts, padded dash boards, and safety glass. Kids didn't need to be secured in car seats either. Does that mean we should remove these features from cars? VSC helps cars handle better, allowing the driver less chance of an accident in certain situations...what's so wrong with that??

As safety features evolve, should we ignore them & keep them out of cars because we didn't have them previously?? That just seems so illogical to me.
I had the VSC on my 4runner and it really didn't do anything to make it safer to drive. The unit had problems and you has to reset the system by disconnecting the battery.

My wife's Rav-4 has it and on slick surfaces, it just stalls. Try driving up a driveway that is snow covered. It won't!

If I had a choice, I would not have it.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #33
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I've said this a million times: When it comes time to buy a car, people need to drive everything they're interested in. People interested in a subcompact car should drive the Fit, Yaris, Accent, Rio, Versa, Aveo--and I'm not talkin' around the block. I think I put more than 30 miles on my Yaris before I bought it. I wanted to be sure this was the car for me.

I think it's a bad idea for anyone interested in buying a high-dollar item (e.g. a car) and simply trusting what a publication says. We all know everyone's got an opinion. Instead of relying on what the magazines say about driving dynamics, comfort, and noise/vibration/harshness levels, people need to get out there and drive the cars for themselves. Just my opinion.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #34
33OH

And what exactly is a Phit?

Isn't it Honda Fit? Or are we talking something different here?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #35
33OH

Googled it...

"At Phit, clients choose from individually tailored vaginal rejuvenation, Kegel phitness and post-partum rehabilitation regimens..."

I'm guessing that's not what we're talking about?
Old 01-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #36
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
FUKPHIT
Closed Thread