Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Rattling coming from S/C.

So I've got this rattling type of noise coming from, I think, my blower. Have I ruined the bearings in it? What's the deal? Why is it making this noise? It isn't constant but it is there from time to time. Also the kit needs an oil change but it isn't THAT long overdue and I rarely drive my car these days anyway.

Then again I don't know if it's the way the belt is rubbing and it just needs changed. It's hard to tell because it is really intermittent. Not sure what the life expectancy is on the belt. Guess I could just replace it and see if the noise goes away.

Anyway don't know much about this stuff so any help is appreciated.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
frownonfun

No it's a little more subtle than pencils snapping. And it doesn't seem to happen any more or less during acceleration, as opposed to just idling.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
frownonfun

before the maf. no boost/vacuum and no a/f gauge. had it dyno'd at one point and the a/f ratio wasn't cause for any kind of alarm so I wouldn't think it'd be detonation. plus i thought that was more of a knocking. maybe i'll try the screwdriver thing but the more i think about it i doubt it's the bearings since the noise doesn't become worse when revving the engine. thanks for the help thus far.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
the grand prix gtp chargers were notorious for the pulley bearing going out at about 30k miles. and the supercoupe's were too.

actually, just about every eaton style charger had issues with the pulley bearing now that i think of it.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
What I mean by before the MAF is that the MAF is reading the compressed air. If you are metering the compressed air then you will not be as lean while in closed loop and boosting. As for the Blitz kit it is unmetered so the initial heavy throttle is going to be lean until the o2 sensor corrects the trim. But if you are boosting in closed loop there is a good chance you are experiencing detonation.

The detonation sound on these 4 cylinders is different from any knocking I have ever heard, although I am used to v-8s. I did not realize I was getting detonation until a collective group of Blitz users on here was asking what that sound was. It is not like a knocking sound but I liken it to pencils snapping or a dulled down spray paint can being shaken up rapidly while empty or something in that area, very hard to describe. When it occurs on my car it is generally right at heavy acceleration, either while cruising or from a dead stop.

You have a benefit over me on my blitz. I have an automatic and the supercharger does not engage while in park or neutral so I cannot diagnose boosting problems unless the car is moving and I refuse to pull a Cameron in Ferris Bueller's day off and put the car on stands and give it gas! Let me know how the screwdriver trick pans out.

lol. I don't think I understood a word of that first paragraph but I see what you are saying otherwise.