Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
osmoq

Drives: none yet
rear seats?

Hi everyone,
I'm looking at getting a new Yaris. :) I was looking at the 3-door hatchback - mainly for monetary reasons. I want a solid car, and I don't really care about any bells and whistles. So I was looking at just the base model... The only thing is I want the seats to fold down. Do you have to get a package for fold-down seats?? That seems silly. I don't need the 60/40 split, but I guess I'll get it if that's the only way to fold them down. I want to be able to haul stuff.

Also...I read somewhere that the base model doesn't come with radio? I'm talking just standard am/fm. But I've heard conflicting reports on that...is that true? (2010 model) And is there/is there not a cd player in the base model?

I'm also leaning toward cruise control and power windows...do I have to get these as part of a package? I may be confused, but it seemed like you couldn't just add them.
Air conditioning is standard, now, right?

And if I'm looking to drive this in the winter, should I consider one of the packages (wheels, etc.)?

Thanks for your help!
osmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
pretty sure radio is a standard item in the US, A/C too, but I know its not in canada, so some cold regions might not have it.. not sure

cruise control can be added for 10-100 dollars
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...cruise+control
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...cruise+control

My personal opinion is that no dealer option is worth the money, as you can do it all cheaper/better on your own. This site will be a wealth of knowledge for almost anything DIY
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmoq View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at getting a new Yaris. :) I was looking at the 3-door hatchback - mainly for monetary reasons. I want a solid car, and I don't really care about any bells and whistles. So I was looking at just the base model... The only thing is I want the seats to fold down. Do you have to get a package for fold-down seats?? That seems silly. I don't need the 60/40 split, but I guess I'll get it if that's the only way to fold them down. I want to be able to haul stuff.

Also...I read somewhere that the base model doesn't come with radio? I'm talking just standard am/fm. But I've heard conflicting reports on that...is that true? (2010 model) And is there/is there not a cd player in the base model?

I'm also leaning toward cruise control and power windows...do I have to get these as part of a package? I may be confused, but it seemed like you couldn't just add them.
Air conditioning is standard, now, right?

And if I'm looking to drive this in the winter, should I consider one of the packages (wheels, etc.)?

Thanks for your help!
Base model... the (FE) 50 state emission

Base model comes with:
1. Audio prep package with four speakers... no radio
2. Folding rear (straight) bench seat... no 60/40 split

Cruise Control is a specific 'Option' and you need the Power Package or Sport Package for this.

A/C is Standard.

14" wheels are Standard. You can upgrade to 15" steel wheels with the convenience package or a specific 'Option' of 15" alloy wheels which you need the Power Package or Sport Package for this.

Drive heavily in Winter... there is a All-Weather Guard Package.

If you start considering all these items... you are no longer in the minimalist car arena...

Packages:

(FE) 50 state emission (Base)

All-Weather Guard Package -- includes larger window washer tank with low-level warning lamp, heavy-duty heater, heavy-duty starter and rear heater duct

Convenience Package -- AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, satellite radio capability [1] and CD text display function, 60/40 split fold-down rear seat (Liftback adds sliding/reclining feature) and 15-in. steel wheels with full wheel covers (Liftback adds rear window wiper)

Power Package -- includes Convenience Package plus power door locks and power windows with driver's auto-down, power outside mirrors, engine immobilizer [2] and remote keyless entry system (Sedan adds integrated audio face plate)

Sport Package -- includes Power Package plus color-keyed front and rear underbody spoilers, side rocker panels, rear spoiler and unique S badge, integrated front fog lamps, iPod® [3] interface, Auto Sound Leveling (ASL), driver and front passenger sport seats with sport fabric, and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob

Already added to the Convenience, Power, or Sport Packages is the (FE) 50 State Emissions and (CP) All Weather Guard Package...

Hope this helps?

Good luck on your purchase!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Also...I read somewhere that the base model doesn't come with radio? I'm talking just standard am/fm. But I've heard conflicting reports on that...is that true? (2010 model)
As he says above the base model (that's me!) has no radio at all.

IMO, the world must have turned upside-down the day when when cupholders and A.C. became standard features, but a cheap radio and rear window wiper are only options. Whaaaat???
Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #5
osmoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
As he says above the base model (that's me!) has no radio at all.

IMO, the world must have turned upside-down the day when when cupholders and A.C. became standard features, but a cheap radio and rear window wiper are only options. Whaaaat???

Yeah, I kind of agree...I can't believe radio of all things isn't standard. What is there, then? Because there are speakers...so can you plug stuff in to play?
And so the back seats do fold down...are they any less flat than the 60/40 split ones?

And SCT...yeah, I know. I hate it because I really don't care about most of that stuff, but the two things I want require me to get the POWER package... I just want a basic car with A/C, a RADIO (lol), to be able to fold the back seat down, cruise control, and power windows (although I'm waffling on that...but I'm thinking that I want to be able to control the back windows while I'm on the highway, so I guess I'll go for it...). Why can't it just come with that?
I don't care about power door locks, satellite radio, etc. lol

Thanks for all the clarification...I keep reading conflicting things, maybe coming from different models or something, so I couldn't find definitive information.

The only thing is if I NEED to upgrade because I'll be driving it in the winter, then I will. So if anyone has specific comments about that, that would be great. Although it looks like I might be upgrading more than I intended, anyway... Ah, well...a rear window defroster will be nice I suppose... :p

I still might just go with the base. What good is having this car going to be if I can't afford to go on the road trips I'm planning? :)

Thanks for the help, all of you!!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:55 AM   #6
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
If their sales are still down, maybe you can negotiate for a package?

And even if you get a base one, if you stay long enough here in YW, you'd probably have the urge to do some DIY and possibly buy some goodies from microimageonline.com
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
osmoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
If their sales are still down, maybe you can negotiate for a package?

And even if you get a base one, if you stay long enough here in YW, you'd probably have the urge to do some DIY and possibly buy some goodies from microimageonline.com
That's the other thing...this is my first car I'm getting by myself, so if anyone has any advice on how to negotiate/talk to the dealers, I would be really grateful. If I know what I'm talking about, I won't let them pull anything over on me, but I know that I might end up looking timid. And this whole thing about asking for something extra than what's quoted...very foreign to me. lol

But negotiating for a package...that would be ideal...
Old 05-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Yeah, I kind of agree...I can't believe radio of all things isn't standard. What is there, then? Because there are speakers...so can you plug stuff in to play?
Yes

Quote:
And so the back seats do fold down...are they any less flat than the 60/40 split ones?
Yes and yes. The split-folding rear seat is better if you plan to haul a lot of things in your Yaris. It folds flatter. However, I have found that in a year and a half of owning my Yaris, it hasn’t been a big issue (although I would still like to have one!). About the only time I have to fold the rear seat down is when I am hauling rifles that are too long to put in the hatch. If I need to haul anything larger, I use one of our bigger vehicles.

Quote:
I just want a basic car with A/C, a RADIO (lol), to be able to fold the back seat down, cruise control, and power windows (although I'm waffling on that...but I'm thinking that I want to be able to control the back windows while I'm on the highway, so I guess I'll go for it...). Why can't it just come with that?
If you ask me, power windows are not necessary in a car that is small enough that it is easy to reach over and roll the passenger window down from the driver's seat. But I have a 2-door hatch, so no back windows to speak of. Same goes for power locks, I prefer not having them as they are just another expensive component to replace when they break.

Also, I have cruise control on mine, but never use it except on very rare occasions that we go anywhere in the Yaris that requires several hours of highway driving (we have two other vehicles, so my car is mostly for commuting and shorter trips).

Cheers! M2
Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
And SCT...yeah, I know. I hate it because I really don't care about most of that stuff, but the two things I want require me to get the POWER package... I just want a basic car with A/C, a RADIO (lol), to be able to fold the back seat down, cruise control, and power windows (although I'm waffling on that...but I'm thinking that I want to be able to control the back windows while I'm on the highway, so I guess I'll go for it...). Why can't it just come with that?

Thanks for all the clarification...I keep reading conflicting things, maybe coming from different models or something, so I couldn't find definitive information.

The only thing is if I NEED to upgrade because I'll be driving it in the winter, then I will. So if anyone has specific comments about that, that would be great. Although it looks like I might be upgrading more than I intended, anyway... Ah, well...a rear window defroster will be nice I suppose... :p

I still might just go with the base. What good is having this car going to be if I can't afford to go on the road trips I'm planning? :)

Thanks for the help, all of you!!

Yeah, me too! I’m a minimalist when it comes to material things. After crunching the numbers, for me the best value came out to the Convenience Package... middle of the road. I did add two Option Accessories (Tachometer and Mats). I live in the North East; the Convenience Package comes with the All Weather Guard Package... good for winter and harsh conditions.

As Rain says... maybe you could negotiate a Package? Sales are slumping and a dealer would like to get rid of the 2010 stock to make room for the 2011’s...

It was the first new car for me. I decided to negotiate. Just make sure you do your HW. Dealers are out to make money off you. If you can create a good business friendship and understand how the dealership works, you will do well. Know the difference between MSRP (Sticker Price), Factory Invoice, True Average, and True Cost. You can then come to a Fair Market Value Price...

The True Cost is generally what you want to shoot for. This is the estimation of what the dealer paid for that specific car. The cost is determined on the Factory Invoice total, minus any Holdbacks (National, Regional, etc), and Customer and Dealer Incentives. Toyota USA Dealer Holdback (DH) is @ 2%. So, your invoice offset price for the vehicle can be well below the Factory Invoice.

Also, there are fees that are required and unavoidable... These are
1. Destination charge
2. Title and Registration
3. Documentation fee, and
4. State Sales Tax

In many states there is a cap (State Law) on the Documentation fee amount. In states with no laws, be leery in paying Doc fees of over $150.

Be careful of Dealerships that will try to push a preparation fee, disability insurance, credit life insurance, and other add-ons... these are all not necessary and totally avoidable. Check out many dealerships and areas...

Anybody have further advice? Threads to help?

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
Old 05-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
LOL!

My Canadian friend tells me 'Cupholders' are a Royalty. They determine the value of the vehicle... You have to base it all on the cupholders!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
one thing you need to check out is the differences of the car in your region. Different toyota regions get different packages.

for instance, in new england and the northeast the all weather package was standard, as as well as (i think anyways) some sort of different suspension.

each region will also have different packages that they have more of, and some combinations that they will not carry at all.

as for negotiating, you can never have enough info. use all the websites, edmunds, kbb, nada, etc. the more info you have, the better you can do.

also don't be afraid to negotiate every single little thing. the salesperson might get annoyed, but you are trying to get the best deal you can, and these things aren't cheap.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
osmoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
If you ask me, power windows are not necessary in a car that is small enough that it is easy to reach over and roll the passenger window down from the driver's seat. But I have a 2-door hatch, so no back windows to speak of.
GOOD CALL about the windows...I totally didn't even think about that in the context of getting a 2-door. And yeah, if I can reach the other side, it's not a big deal at all. All right, no longer considering power windows. :)

Cruise control, still probably...I'll mostly just be doing a little commuting, but I'm definitely planning on some road trips, long ones and some weekend trips, so cruise control would be nice, and will probably pay off. I did see that DIY thread...that terrifies me right now, but if I don't get it with the purchase, I have a feeling I'll be back to that... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Yeah, me too! I’m a minimalist when it comes to material things. After crunching the numbers, for me the best value came out to the Convenience Package... middle of the road. I did add two Option Accessories (Tachometer and Mats). I live in the North East; the Convenience Package comes with the All Weather Guard Package... good for winter and harsh conditions.
I think that's around where I'm leaning at the moment. At least the All-Weather Package. I'll actually be moving up to the New England area next year, right now I'm midwest -ish. I do want it to be a little more hardy than average. I guess ideally, I'll negotiate for the convenience package. Thanks for the info.
And yeah, if anyone can point me to some threads about the actual buying process, that would be great, too (or any more comments). I'll have a look around for some more info, too. (I am so new at this...I really don't think I even comprehend the attitude...I can fake it, though. :) ) I'm going to try to have a friend take me for some test drives early next week.
Do I just like ask if they'll add a package?

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
one thing you need to check out is the differences of the car in your region. Different toyota regions get different packages.
I do need to look at that a little more carefully - that might have been why I was getting the conflicting reports. I've mainly been looking in my area, though.

Thanks again everyone!!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #13
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
My Canadian friend tells me 'Cupholders' are a Royalty. They determine the value of the vehicle... You have to base it all on the cupholders!
This is the first car I've had with cupholders or AC. Feels like a limousine!

Tags
2010, cargo, packages, seats, winter