Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #55
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
What issues have you had?
I'm very curious as well.

As my sig points out, 102,000 miles without a single problem. That puts me in awe over the Yaris's quality.

The Yaris has been rated the most reliable Toyota. That's significant since Toyota is the highest rated company in reliability. Do the math.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #56
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Luck of the draw .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #57
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
What issues have you had?
I've had 2 major ones, and little problem.

The first is the battery/starting. I was on a lunch break(about half an hour) and had my radio (and only the radio) running the whole time. When I tried to start the car up the battery was apparently drained. I'm willing to call this one my fault, even though half hour of listening to the radio shouldn't really drain the battery.

However, after that, the battery had maybe 2 minutes of charge left for the rest of it's life. The battery would die on me after leaving the accessories running for an honest-to-goodness 2 minutes. In the middle of winter, I shouldn't have to choose between turning my car completely off, and idling there and wasting fuel.

Obviously something was wrong with how the battery was either being charged, or how it was holding a charge. However, the kicker came when I was taking a student for a road test, and when the examiner came out and asked him to start the car...it wouldn't. We were waiting with NO ACCESSORIES ON! The key wasn't even in the car. Nothing was draining the battery, and yet...it wouldn't start.

So I replaced the battery after that, and all was fine for a little while untill two weeks ago. I was picking up a student (all my battery failings seem to happen on the job) and when he went to turn the key...nothing. And this time, I mean NOTHING. The engine wasn't even trying to turn over, no lights came on, I couldn't even use the auto locks. Literally nothing had happened. It was like there wasn't even a battery in the car at all.

After canceling two days worth of lessons to get the problem looked at, the result was.....nothing. Nothing was wrong with my car. The nearest anyone can figure was that the cables connecting to the battery terminal somehow wasn't connecting properly, because in the end, when I took out the battery, and plopped it back in, it worked.

Another time I had my Yaris in the shop (10 cars on our street were keyed) and I was using the company's Yaris the check engine light came on, and the car would shift violently. I was worried that my students who were going on road tests would get bad marks for not driving smoothly, even though it was the car shifting terribly itself. I can't remember what the problem was, as my personal Yaris was fixed soon after.

A final problem I noticed with the spare Yaris and my personal Yaris (the spare one moreso) was an unusual amount of windsheild noise. It really sounded like the windshield was rattling around a lot, and while that may just be a noise complaint, I kind of think windsheild problems fall under safety.

I do understand that the battery isn't even a toyota part, however, they still put it in their cars, and should be held accountable for it.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #58
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
OP:

I agree with what you're saying. I'm on my second Yaris. I read the reports and had previous experience with the Yaris, so my account of the car didn't jive with what they were saying. A guy I work with has a Fit, and I've borrowed it a few times because he needed my truck. I have to admit, I like the fit I've owned several Hondas in the past and all have been good cars. I just can't justify spending the extra money on the Fit! Other then the Extra doors (yes, I know they make a 5dr now) and alittle more room I don't see the advantages of one. I like the styling of the Yaris better also. My new fit is fitted with a 5spd and it's even more fun to drive then my 07 auto was.

Look at the plus side, poor CR reviews will keep the cost down on a great little car! Which makes them even more cheap fun for people who take the time to find out for ourselves what we like best. :)
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:06 AM   #59
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

Drives: 2010 Ylw 3dr. AT(Blue-Wife's)
Other than I'm a newbie and nobody will care as this topic is old.. I'm not starting a posting war!
I am a VERY large guy,(5'11" 375#) and 4/5 door cars are a freaking joke, and high MPG's are a must (100 mile round trip daily), and low price, so with that said I had very few options especially considering some of the cars in my list were discontinued at the end of 2010 with no 3dr replacements. My 3dr options were, Yaris, Accent, Cobalt, Focus. I went with repair records, and mpg reports and of those, the Yaris was obviously the winner, the biggest plus on the maint. side of things (the timing chain) most of the others use a belt...I'm old school, steel is stronger and more durable than rubber.
OK that's off my chest!
Now for those of you who think an Auto equipped Yaris is slow, You obviously have never driven a early 80's Ford pickup with the carburetor equipped inline six! It did the job, but really slow, even slower with an auto. 0-60 was in the 25-35 second range!
As for Noise and the Bumpy ride, you're kidding right? I only hear noise at above the posted limits, and the ride of this car is better than all of the others on my list.
These cars are Econoboxes built for long life on the highway getting high MPG's, not a freakin' Cadillac XLR!
I will agree...
The gas pedal is touchy, the brakes are scary good!
The center gauge is different, and the dash does collect dust easy, and CR and almost every other "Consumer Information Magazine/website" are biased by who advertises, and are totally useless even as bath tissue!
I love my leftover '10 Yaris, and this website is awesome, after all, where else have you seen a car like mine with a plow? Thats my two pennies, now I'll shut up

Repair List:
1 new blower motor, making funny noise. @ 91K (Water pump @ 120K)
Mod List:
1. Black tape on most of the annoying blue high beam light behind the lens. (thank you CTScott)
BIGTAZ351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #60
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTAZ351 View Post
Now for those of you who think an Auto equipped Yaris is slow, You obviously have never driven a early 80's Ford pickup with the carburetor equipped inline six! It did the job, but really slow, even slower with an auto. 0-60 was in the 25-35 second range!
You make a good point. I remember when most compact pickups had inline fours w/carburetors. They were notoriously gutless loaded or unloaded. My '81 Datsun King Cab seemed to be staining most of the time at highway speeds.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #61
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTAZ351 View Post
Other than I'm a newbie and nobody will care as this topic is old.. I'm not starting a posting war!
I am a VERY large guy,(5'11" 375#) and 4/5 door cars are a freaking joke, and high MPG's are a must (100 mile round trip daily), and low price, so with that said I had very few options especially considering some of the cars in my list were discontinued at the end of 2010 with no 3dr replacements. My 3dr options were, Yaris, Accent, Cobalt, Focus. I went with repair records, and mpg reports and of those, the Yaris was obviously the winner, the biggest plus on the maint. side of things (the timing chain) most of the others use a belt...I'm old school, steel is stronger and more durable than rubber.
OK that's off my chest!
As for Noise and the Bumpy ride, you're kidding right? I only hear noise at above the posted limits, and the ride of this car is better than all of the others on my list.
These cars are Econoboxes built for long life on the highway getting high MPG's, not a freakin' Cadillac XLR!
I will agree...
The gas pedal is touchy, the brakes are scary good!
The center gauge is different, and the dash does collect dust easy, and CR and almost every other "Consumer Information Magazine/website" are biased by who advertises, and are totally useless even as bath tissue!
I love my leftover '10 Yaris, and this website is awesome, after all, where else have you seen a car like mine with a plow? Thats my two pennies, now I'll shut up

No need to shut up, good post.

It's true, 2-door models have the easiest front seat access with the bigger doors. It's sad that automakers are starting to abandon them. The new 2012 Yaris will apparently NOT come as a 3-door option. Oddly enough, it was the only option in the US for its first two years. Even now, I would say at least half of all liftbacks sold since the 5-door came out have been 3- doors. You mentioned Yaris, Accent, Cobalt, & Focus were your only options fitting this criteria. Guess what, they all cease to exist this year. The Cruze sedan, '12 Accent, '12 Yaris, and '12 Focus hatchbacks will only be available as 5-doors. Looks like you'll be keeping your Yaris for a while.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #62
Hershey

We dumped C.R.. Were long time readers . Same old cr*p . Over and over and ....
Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #63
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
We dumped C.R.. Were long time readers . Same old cr*p . Over and over and ....
Plasma TV's, computers, digital cameras, vacuums and high end autos.

It got old and redundant.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #64
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
Plasma TV's, computers, digital cameras, vacuums and high end autos.

It got old and redundant.
Nailed it . We'll go to the library if anything of interest is in it . Plus , some of the things are available for free at their site .
Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #65
p123456789

Drives: 07 lb jeep tj
My only complaint with the yaris is I wish the shifter and center console was higher up, I feel like I'm reaching for the shifter and it would also be nice if it was made from a little better plastic. Other than that what can you excpect for a 12k car? I think in about 10 years the yaris will have the following like the civic hatchback and the value's will stay pretty strong.
If the fit was the same price as the yaris I would have picked the fit hands down I think it is that much nicer of a car but its not worth the extra price for me I needed a point a to b car and the yaris does that best.
p123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #66
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
I'll add that I'm not a fan of the electronic fuel gauge. I can never tell if it's blinking slow or fast. Some things should just be analog. Like a watch. I can't tell time on a digital watch .

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #67
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick996 View Post
I'll add that I'm not a fan of the electronic fuel gauge. I can never tell if it's blinking slow or fast. Some things should just be analog. Like a watch. I can't tell time on a digital watch .
Huh? You just read the numbers. Not sure I understand how you cannot read numbers.

It's 12:40 right now. "Twelve Forty". Numbers are kind of an important part of life.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #68
rick996

No, to me it's 20 till 1:00.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #69
rick996

My problem with the digital gas gauge bars is that they jump instead of flow. Say you get to 1/2 tank and the gauge is exactly correct and shows you 4 bars out of 8. Then you drive 50 miles and there are still 4 bars. You can't still have 1/2 a tank. I want to see what's between 1/2 a tank and 3/8 of a tank.

As to telling time on a digital watch, I was being a little funny . The truth is that I prefer using an analog watch for the same reason. I don't want to see minutes jump from one to the next I want to see them flow from one to the next. Just my preference as there were no digital watches until I was older (or calculators, I used a slide rule).

But I do look at my watch at 12:40 and think 20 of.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #70
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

Rick,
I wish the car had a whole set of Analog gauges Tach, and oil pressure...but thats the motorhead of me coming out....Digital?...I like water temp to be digital!

Another car I considered, and forgot to mention in my first post was the Golf TDi, but the so called better mileage (with more expensive fuel) doesn't justify their ungodly high price $24,000+ not to mention that there is more maintenance to do on a VW TurboDiesel!

Repair List:
Mod List:
1. Black tape on most of the annoying blue high beam light behind the lens. (thank you CTScott)
Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #71
rick996

I have an analog tach. We both drive 2010's and I don't have the power package. Maybe you get the tach with the manual transmission. And speaking of slow, I once had a 62 VW bus.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #72
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick996 View Post
I have an analog tach. We both drive 2010's and I don't have the power package. Maybe you get the tach with the manual transmission. And speaking of slow, I once had a 62 VW bus.
Yeah, thats kinda what I got out of it too..A Tach isnt really necessary on an A/T car anyway, on a Pickup where you do towing out of O/D yes! along with Trans Temp!

The early 80's diesel Bus was slow also, I followed one for about 10 miles several years ago, he pulled into a gas station..and the gear head part of me had to follow and ask...Was that factory? he showed the whole deal and yes it came that way, and I looked it up when I got home, I think it had something like 50HP! Not a popular option?

Repair List:
Mod List: