Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Meechity

Drives: 2010 Yaris sedan, AT
Send a message via AIM to Meechity
Helpless with a 2010 Yaris sedan

I know next to nothing about cars: 1)they roll around, and 2)I'm stuck in one for 3 hours daily. I just got my front and rear speakers replaced and will soon be getting a small 4-channel Rockford amp because the new speakers have literally done NOTHING to improve the sound (which is hollow and tinny). I'm almost completely convinced it the head unit's fault; however I was told that it's basically impossible to replace it unit without basically destroying the dash or spending thousands of dollars. Here I've seen photos that say otherwise.

MY basic question is: what head unit will fit in my car and cost between $300 - $500? I have a 2010 Yaris 4-door sedan (NOT the sport model) with a simple audio jack (no iPod integration).

:) Virtual thank-you candy to anyone for your help. I'll keep browsing the forums, though it's very hard for me to follow the technical specs.

EDIT: This is what the center part looks like, with the stereo and knobs and such.
http://www.yarispartsstore.com/image...blue-sedan.jpg

Last edited by Meechity; 06-23-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added image reference.
Meechity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You can easily replace the Sedan's radio with an aftermarket one. This thread has the part number info for the replacement radio trim:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...dan+radio+trim
Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Meechity

Thank you CTScott! Are there no differences in the wiring or structure between the 2008 and 2010 Yaris?
Old 06-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meechity View Post
Thank you CTScott! Are there no differences in the wiring or structure between the 2008 and 2010 Yaris?
No. 2006 to 2011 cars are the same wiring-wise and trim-wise. You may find that some aftermarket radio wiring products aren't listed for 09+, but that is just because they haven't updated their compatibility listings.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Meechity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
No. 2006 to 2011 cars are the same wiring-wise and trim-wise. You may find that some aftermarket radio wiring products aren't listed for 09+, but that is just because they haven't updated their compatibility listings.
Fabulous news. It's nice to know I can shop for a unit from 2006 onward...thank you so very much. :)
Old 06-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
300-500 is wide margin. What features are you looking for? Decent units cost a lot less than that these days.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Whomever told you that you would have to spend thousands of dollars needs to be slapped...twice if they are family...just sayin.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
Meechity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
300-500 is wide margin. What features are you looking for? Decent units cost a lot less than that these days.

- I commute 3 hours a day, and I love music. I want the cleanest, truest possible sound for me, the driver. I like to turn down the front speakers, so the back speakers come through and the music feels like it's all around me. :)

- I want a nice full range like in a theater. If it's economical, I'd like to be able to adjust the equalizer precisely instead of just "treble-bass".

- I would like an interface for my iPod, but at the very least an audio jack.

- I'm not concerned with aesthetics: as long as things aren't rattling around in the car I'm good. I'm not looking for fancy lights or gadgets or interactivity - just the most delicious-sounding audio within my budget. And I'm not looking for booming bass, just CLEAR bass.

- I replace my car every 4 years or so, so I want to take the amp/unit with me...

Right now, with both CDs and audio through the audio jack/mp3 player is that sibilants are ragged and tinny, there is little mid-range sound, and the bass is weak as a kitten. It literally makes me nauseous.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
Meechity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Whomever told you that you would have to spend thousands of dollars needs to be slapped...twice if they are family...just sayin.
lol.. no one said 'thousands', not yet anyway. I was under the impression that if I wanted to replace the head unit in this new Yaris, because of some computer/complicated wiring/mounting issues or something, I would need a fully customized console, which would be a buttload of work. Also, I won't be doing any of this myself: that would be a legendary mess.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
No such thing about the the complications vs other vehicles.

Thanks for stating your requirements, there are a great many audiophiles here on YW who will chime in soon enough. I definitely don't see you breaking 500.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
No such thing about the the complications vs other vehicles.

Thanks for stating your requirements, there are a great many audiophiles here on YW who will chime in soon enough. I definitely don't see you breaking 500.

well said....you can really count on the members here to not steer you wrong.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Meechity

I really look forward to hearing the responses, thank you!!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I agree with the general opinion that you don't need to spend thousands for decent sound.

That being said, I'm probably the antethesis of the spirit of this thread. Still, you have many options available to accomplish your goals. I read that you've already replaced your speakers, yet they still sound crappy. You're thinking about a source unit. I'd seriously look into an amplifier as well. I can guarantee you that you're not going to get the advertised power claimed from the source unit...get some oomph to the speakers and see what you can do about properly tuning the system.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
I was just looking for a head unit for a friend of mine and went into Best Buy to just get a bottom line on pricing, they have quite a few Pioneer , Alpine and Kenwood decks around the 100 - 150 dollar range there. They come with front USB and Audio jacks, you could start there. As far as installing , maybe SQ Knows somebody in that area who can help you out. One thing i did not look at on the decks is how much " tweaking " you can do as far as the internal EQ goes. But if you get a Deck for 110 bucks, a decent equalizer shouldn't run you more than 150 bucks and that still leaves some room for buying an amp and getting the bezel you need for the install. I think you will be under your $500 budget.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
Meechity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
You're thinking about a source unit. I'd seriously look into an amplifier as well. I can guarantee you that you're not going to get the advertised power claimed from the source unit...get some oomph to the speakers and see what you can do about properly tuning the system.
I'm definitely getting a little 4-channel amp. The guy who installed my speakers said Rockford has a little one coming out. I didn't research it (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by S7V7N View Post
As far as installing , maybe SQ Knows somebody in that area who can help you out. One thing i did not look at on the decks is how much " tweaking " you can do as far as the internal EQ goes. But if you get a Deck for 110 bucks, a decent equalizer shouldn't run you more than 150 bucks and that still leaves some room for buying an amp and getting the bezel you need for the install. I think you will be under your $500 budget.
I'm already learning a lot. I didn't realize that an equalizer could be a separate piece in addition to the unit. :( Ideally they'd be one piece but it's good to know. And I certainly never thought of Best Buy... everything there is so EXPENSIVE.

If anyone has suggestions for local install shops I'm all ears. My zip is 17972 and a 50-mile radius is comfy for this. :)

Tags
2010, head unit, sedan, yaris