Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
Question What effect will 10% Ethanol have......

What effect will 10% Ethanol have on the fuel economy of the Yaris? Most of the gas stations in my area are all now selling gas with 10% Ethanol.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
dbaxter
Evil Kitty

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback A4 AB/Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver
What effect will 10% Ethanol have on the fuel economy of the Yaris? Most of the gas stations in my area are all now selling gas with 10% Ethanol.

It would be interesting to see if the Yaris pcm actually has tables/algorythms to adjust timing for it.
I know many of the GM car now have this included.

Any yaris tuner out there?
www.purplegto.com
01 Camaro SS Convertible SLP#1331
http://www.2001CamaroSS.com
dbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
riceboy

Drives: icebox
it will do nothing..
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
ketel0ne

Drives: 2007 Liftback Blazing Blue
Ethanol-gas mix is a problem for Franklin

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...7-c0205ad76ea8

Expect lower gas mileage.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I would not put it in a Yaris. Ethanol is a solvent and will cause corrosion in the fuel system. A car that can run flex fuels such as E85/E10 has special filters and hoses so it can handle it. It might take awhile but it will definately cause problems. I belive it also requires slightly larger jets for a fuel injected vehicle.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
You can't buy gasoline in my region without ethanol.

I only get about 30 mpg in my Yaris and suspect the ethanol might be the culprit (that and driving like a maniac).
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
You can't buy gasoline in my region without ethanol.

I only get about 30 mpg in my Yaris and suspect the ethanol might be the culprit (that and driving like a maniac).
maybe its just the E85 that causes problems. I have never used it so I cant say if its causing your problems. Although I read that it makes more power but requires more to give you the extra power.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #8
Yaris Dick

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 06 VW GTI, 06 G6
Ethanol in that proportion is NOT a problem for modern fuel systems! Anyone who believes otherwise is living in the 80's. It will, however, reduce your mileage a bit since the btu content of ethanol is lower per volume than gasoline. 10% ethanol should not produce drastically lower mileage though.
Yaris Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
What about that corn-based gas?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #10
Yaris

Drives: 2010 LB Meteor Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Dick
Ethanol in that proportion is NOT a problem for modern fuel systems! Anyone who believes otherwise is living in the 80's. It will, however, reduce your mileage a bit since the btu content of ethanol is lower per volume than gasoline. 10% ethanol should not produce drastically lower mileage though.

I avoid Sunoco stations and their Ethanol contents. I can't understand why drivers would buy Sunoco gas while the competitors across the street don't yet sell ethanolized gasoline and you get better mileage without that crap.
I know that soon Ethanol will be in all gasoline, and we will no longer have a choice, but to get suckered in by big oil's Ethanol plot.
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #11
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver

Correct me if I am wrong, but aint that the E85 stuff they are tlaking about?? I know only some cars have the "flex fuel" option, but thats all I know about it.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
A thought occurred to me, a friend, in a nearby town which also has gas with ethanol drives, a Prius hybrid. I'll ask him if it has much effect on his car.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #13
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
i am in a manditory 10% ethenol blend area, and am only gettin 33-35 MPG, and am sure that the gas is the problem.

but interesting sidenote, my state just put an end to a "manditory mark up" law on gasoline, that was keeping the price of ethenol blend at the same cost as un-blended gas, when ethenol blend is just a little over half of the cost when baught in bulk by the gas stations....and as a result prices on the ethenol blend have droped over 20 cents in the past week.

if the gas is actually cheaper to the consumer, it would not seam to illogical to buy it over un-blended gas, maybe even despite the loss in milage. Might have to start compairing Miles per $, instead of per gallon, but we will see where are gas prices end up, and i just hope they keep going down :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:40 PM   #14
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
Ok, to clear up some stuff, some ppl seem confused

Most has has 10% Ethenol in it (every gas station by me has it)
E85 can only be run by cars that are built for it (american cars only for the msot part now, GM, Ford ect)
10% Ethonal is safe to put into any car

E85 gets less MPG and is made up of 15% normal gas, 85% Ethenol (made from corn oil grown in the USA )

The reason why E85 exists, somebodys gonna ask why, its made from corn oil and will never run out. In theory its cheaper, but its the same price somehow right now.
This also leaves the door open for bio-diesel (made from veggies)
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:30 AM   #15
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennystocks
The reason why E85 exists, somebodys gonna ask why, its made from corn oil and will never run out. In theory its cheaper, but its the same price somehow right now.
This also leaves the door open for bio-diesel (made from veggies)
In reality, if all cars using E85. all of us will be in hunger. Since there are not enough production to supply the huge demand here.
"The grain required to fill a 25-gallon SUV gas tank with ethanol will feed one person for a year. The grain to fill the tank every two weeks over a year will feed 26 people."
E85 is promoted by those loser in the Hybrid/Diesel game. (The big 3).
It is only an interm solution for getting sales for them, in reality, it is not feasible.

But I agree on the Bio-Diesel, I love the idea of having a bucket of cooking oil from some local resturant and filled it up my car... That sounds really cool and environmental friendly
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:43 AM   #16
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
Quoted off e85fuel.com

"Will we deplete human and animal food supplies by using corn and other grains for fuel production?

Response:

No, actually the production of ethanol from corn uses only the starch of the corn kernel, all of the valuable protein, minerals and nutrients remain. One bushel of corn produces about 2.7 gallons of ethanol AND 11.4 pounds of gluten feed (20% protein) AND 3 pounds of gluten meal (60% protein) AND 1.6 pounds of corn oil. "

People will not go hungry because we use E85.

And its a renewable resource so we can NEVER run out and its made in the USA so we need 85% less over seas oil, i'd say thats a good idea.

That page is so

"Livestock and poultry producers fear there may not be enough corn to produce meat, milk, and eggs. "
You get food for live stock out of the same corn used for ethonal, wtf is that, its a strieght up lie
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #17
NickNickNick

Drives: 06 Silver Yaris 3-door Manual
Ethanol is in most gases in my region - I personally use it all the time.

I get about 37mpg in the city on average (US) and anywhere from 42-49 on the highway...it should be noted their are no hills and very few starts and stops where I live, and I believe that's why I get the better-than-average highway mileage...
NickNickNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:08 PM   #18
captainzerocool
CAMRY FTW!

Drives: Camry LE V-6 (225,000+ miles)
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1870

Quote:
E85 yields at least 20% less bang for the buck. In plain language, a vehicle that gets 18 mpg on gas will get 14 or less with E85. Unless E85 sells at a 20% or greater discount to gas, the average consumer has no incentive to buy it
That is from a comment.

And the guy/gal who started this thread asked about E10. E10 (Being 10% Ethanol) That has little effect on mileage. E85 is 85% Ethanol and has a VERY noticeable effect.

I have no imagination.
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote