Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
kayye

Drives: yaris yrs
Installing a Sub. Suggestions?

Okay guys im from Australia and am planning to install a sub.

This will be my first time but I think I have a fairly good idea on how to do it...

Basically I have two options right now, either my friend is going to give me their kenwood 640W amp with a 1000W bridge or I have to go buy my own.

Im a uni student so do not have much of a budget but any suggestions on what I should buy?

Do I also have to change the headset or can I keep the stock one and still operate the woofer...?

Thanks in advance guys
kayye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
if you were to use your stock radio, you would need a "line level converter" unless your amp has speaker level inputs. other than that, I can't think of any other hang-ups right off hand.

also it will hit much harder if you actually secure it to the vehicle (bolt it in place). most people don't do this but it does make such a difference.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
kayye

hmm so the stock radio has no subwoofer connection thing?

and yeah im planning to bolt it under my passenger seat and driver's seat
Old 06-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
BEEF

well, my info is a bit older as I haven't been into car audio in a while but usually not....maybe the newer ones do have low level outs but they used to not. I know, I'm rambling. I don't think they do but it would be easy to see if you take the head unit out as there will be two femal RCA connectors on it. if it doesn't then you have to look on the amp and see if it has speaker level inputs or not.

what size speakers are you putting on that amp? i would say to put it in the trunk but there again, I am thinking larger speakers that wouldn't fit under the seat.

***edit****

I just looked at a stock radio on ebay that looked like mine (2008 yaris) and it does not have RCA connectors on the back so my assumption would be that you would have to deal with speaker level inputs to the amp. maybe your HU is different and may have them, not sure but the pic I saw did not.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
kayye

ah i got the 08' yaris so doubt there will be RCAs too.

might just go buy a HU then instead of bothering with wiriing speakers to amp then woof etc.

im only planning to connect a woofer to the amp, going to leave the speakers and stuff stock for now..its a 12' woofer and the with the case it should just fit right in the HB trunk.

I was thinking about putting it in the back too but as I would want to remove the amp and stuff if I ever sell my car I dont want to leave visible screw holes if you know what i mean..
Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
BEEF

well, used cars tend to have wear on them. just make a clean install and you won't have much to worry about. I tend to drill one hole straight throgh the bottom and use one bolt (really big one) with locktite and lock washers and that does the trick. when you go to sell it, you can always use just a rubber knockout cover or insert to cover the hole.

I usually mount the amp to the sub box.

at this point though we are talking a good deal about asthetics and less about sound. yes it will sound better bolted in but it won't sound bad if it isn't either.

good luck
Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
kayye

Yeah or maybe just on the sub box. Haven't really decided.

Thanks! oh and btw is it better to keep the HU, amp and sub the same brand? or does it not matter?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
BEEF

that is an opinion based question. my nonbiased side says it doesn't really matter. realize that most brands specialize in one aspect of it.

my nonbiased side says to get either an alpine or kenwood headunit, rockford fosgate amp, and a JL audio sub. there again, those are just my preferences.