Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
Stuck trying to get bolt off!

Today I tried installing some tein s tech springs I got from Garm on my 2007 Yaris Sedan. I successfully managed to install the spring on the front right after many hours! When trying to undo the first nut on the front left side, I managed to strip the thread on the inside!

I went by the instructions on the manual AIM 000 365-3, which I found on these forums somewhere.

In step #2 they show that you only need a 17mm socket. However I found that impossible, the bolt would turn with the nut. I had to use a wrench and an allen key to get the bolt off. I also sprayed the nuts and bolts with penetrating oil to help break down some of the rust. I wasn't as lucky on the other side. I completely stripped the inside where the allen key fits when trying to take that damn nut off. Argh!

Would the bolt come off if I were to use air tools? I've got an air compressor but believe it only goes up to 100 - 150 psi.

Thanks in advance

Phaznet
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
At this point you might be better off just cutting it off. You can buy replacement strut bars for about $25 each. Unless you can keep the bolt from rotating, an impact gun won't really help.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I came pretty close to stripping one of mine, but was able to get it off with an impact wrench. I'll probably need to replace it the next time I swap my suspension, but I can't find one for less than $50. Any suggestions where I (we) should look?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I had to cut 2 bolts off on my pass side when I first installed my ksport springs.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I see what you mean. Back when I built Crashy's lift kit, I had to extend mine, by welding a longer bar to the ends. I kept lighting the grease cup on fire while welding them, so I ended up buying a bunch of extras for $25 each. I can't seem to find the place that I bought them from.

I might have one new set on hand that I never modified.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
phaznet

Thanks for the replies! I believe my only option at this point is to try an impact wrench, if that doesn't work I guess I'll need to cut the bolt off, but I don't have the tools to do that.

Also, when I installed the first spring I forgot to realign the air holes on the bump stop! can I get away with that or should I take it apart again to realign the holes?

Thanks again

Phaznet
Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i used an impact wrench to take it off. easy.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
phaznet

was there also a ton of rust on your nuts and bolts?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Soak it with pb blaster or another penetrating oil. Let it soak at least an hour...a day is preferable

From the back grab it with vice grip pliers and tighten the vice grips with pliers

Hit the nut with an impact wrench. Should break it free. Just make sure the vice grips are tight as humanly possible or the endlink will spin.

I've done this a dozen times w/o ruining the rubber seal on the endlink

Last edited by thebarber; 01-07-2013 at 05:20 PM.
thebarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
phaznet

Well the installation is now complete! I managed to get that bolt off by taking barber's advice (thank you), I used a vise grip to hold the back of the screw and untightened the the nut using an impact wrench.

The rear springs were a piece of cake compared to the front. I also installed the trd sway bar that I picked up last week.

Boy what a workout these last two days, my hands are killing me! I'm relieved that it's all done, but now I'm just worried that I installed everything properly. I'll ask the mechanic to check it out when I go to get an alignment done.

Thanks again for the help guys, I love this forum :) !!!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
yariseggvvti

Drives: Yaris Hatchieback
Hows the alignment now? Its off? I am going replace my front and rear suspension soon too. Tell me something about your mission? What else needs to look out? Thank you!
yariseggvvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
phaznet

Quote:
Originally Posted by yariseggvvti View Post
Hows the alignment now? Its off? I am going replace my front and rear suspension soon too. Tell me something about your mission? What else needs to look out? Thank you!
The alignment seems ok, but it's recommended to get it done after you put lowering springs on. Tell you something about my mission? it took me 2 days!
As long as you follow the instructions there shouldn't be any issues. Once you've done one of the front struts, the rest is piece of cake (in comparison).
Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
yariseggvvti

Drives: Yaris Hatchieback
I think if you don't touch the tie rod end it will be okay. I cant have my vehicle there for 2 days. My mission going to get all the parts and start early of the day. I am planing start after work on Friday night.

Phaznet, your next step is install all the bars in the vehicle and you feel the big difference.

Pushing hard in to the turns...

Last edited by yariseggvvti; 01-09-2013 at 01:20 AM.
yariseggvvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Glad I could help

I ALWAYS do the front first as its the most prone to snafu's

Wait a couple weeks for an alignment. But if you pulled the bottom out while both strut bolts were in, but loose, the alignment will likely fall within Toyota specs
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That's great that they came off without having to destroy them. If anyone needs a new set, I found the new extra set that I bought back when I was working on Crashy's lift kit:

Strut Rods.jpg
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #16
phaznet

I've been driving my lowered vehicle for a day or so now. Everything seems fine with but there's only one minor issue. When I turn hard right there's a rubbing sound on the left front wheel.
I thought I might have bent something when trying to replace the strut, so I checked the wheel and pushed the metal plate behind the brake outwards a bit. It helped, but there's still a rubbing sound when I turn hard right.
Tires are 175/65R14
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Check your plastic fender liners for rub marks. Can't imagine those little tires would be rubbing but you never know.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
is it a metal on metal sound or rubber on metal?

after doing something to the front of my car i had the same issue, tured out my brake dust shield would flex enough to rub the disk. a torch fixed that issue :) lol, jksjks, just bend it back a little