Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Question about washing or washing fresh new paint job

So car is back from the bodyshop finally this time the paint is closer. Not perfect but ill live with it. My question is i have heard on new paint you should not wax it. Suposidly the paint needs to breath in order to fully cure. Wax seals it in and it can take years then to completely cure. I noticed the shop did put wax on it when i picked it up. I am wondering if i should strip the wax off.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
You can wash it but no wax for 30 days.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You can wash it but no wax for 30 days.
Hmmmm maybe i should wash my front end with dish soap then to strip the wax they put on.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Dont use dish washer soap, and dont wax it yet, like Brian said wait for a month to go by, then you can give her a waxing. You need to let the paint to settle down first, patience my dude its worth the wait, trust me I had my door painted for an accident that happened with my wife, and thank god for the sun down here it a perfect match, just let the sun do its work and it will blend in, then you can wax her down, holla at your boy.
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
If you wanna wash it use the Meguiar's car wash. Thats what I used on my fresh paint. Dish soap is too harsh. Dry it with a high quality micro fiber towel to prevent clear coat scratches.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
YarisSedan

The only reason i mention dish soap is because the bodyshop already waxed it. So i want to strip off the wax to help the paint cure better and faster. They just happen to be doing road construction all over my area so i know little rocks will easily knick the soft paint.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Wax is a thin film and isn't impervious to the solvents in paint. Sure it slows down the release of the solvent fumes a bit, but it'll still cure.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
spleeping prophet

Drives: 2005 Vitz RS
lots of sun, let that paint fully cure and like another member said, use some of none abrasive (sp?) towel.

And and make sure the sponge you use is clean, i've fuced up in the past by using a dirty one and ended up leaving small scratches in the paint.
spleeping prophet is offline   Reply With Quote