Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
icantfeelmyface

Drives: 2008 Sedan
Burning smell...

Hi guys, I'm getting a strong burning smell when after running the heater for 10 minutes. My car is only 3 months old and I have just started running the heater the past week. Is this normal or should I take the car to the dealer and have them look at it?
icantfeelmyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
im not too sure if it is from the heater but aren't all (or the majority of) new cars smell like burning tire when you turn it on, off, etc?

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
iwantayarisnyc

Drives: 08 sedan auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantfeelmyface View Post
Hi guys, I'm getting a strong burning smell when after running the heater for 10 minutes. My car is only 3 months old and I have just started running the heater the past week. Is this normal or should I take the car to the dealer and have them look at it?
i have the same thing , it should be the new car 'thing' should be ok.
iwantayarisnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantfeelmyface View Post
If I ever smell a really strong odor it's usually a blower motor resistor burning itself out, but I'm not real sure about the Yaris. I haven't noticed any odors from mine yet, but I don't turn my heater up more than about 2/3rds of the way.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
I have smelled the same thing too. But I noticed that the smell appears when the heater is on full heat. Once I smell it, I lower the heat down to midway and smell is gone quick and doesn't reappear.

Does the Yaris deliver the heat from the engine or does it use outside air and heat it with a coil?
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
I have smelled the same thing too. But I noticed that the smell appears when the heater is on full heat. Once I smell it, I lower the heat down to midway and smell is gone quick and doesn't reappear.

Does the Yaris deliver the heat from the engine or does it use outside air and heat it with a coil?
It has a heater core, so heat is based on coolant temp. I don't know about the blower motor resistor though. Seems like full heat must react with the plastics, might even keep the resistor from cooling itself well enough?...

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote