Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
ARES_1

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB/MT
TPMS Initialization

Just ordered some new wheels and tires from the Tire Rack (thanks for their sponsorship here). I ordered the tires mounted on the wheels and had the TPMS sensors installed. Tire Rack said these would need to be taken to a dealer to have the new TPMS initialized. Has anyone done this? Does it take long and do the dealer charge a fee.

Most important is there a DIY for this?

Paul_F
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You installed new TPMS sensors? Or re-installed the ones from your stock wheels? Or your car didn't have TPMS sensors before?

Not enough information.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I assume that he got new wheels (tires and wheels) and is having them shipped to him. He had TPMS sensors put in the new wheels and wants them to work with his current setup.

He probably has steelies with the TPMSs in them but wants to just be able to swap out the wheels without the little light...

just an assumption.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
ARES_1

Car Stats

OK

Car is a 2008 LB with the factory TPMS system installed.

Upgrading to 17" wheels/tires and ordered with sensors installed in the new wheels so I didn't have to pull them off wheels just to swap sensors. TR says I have to go to dealer to reset car for new wheel/sensors. Can't believe that it's much more than a simple procedure that one could do their self if they knew what button to push or something like that.

Paul_F
ARES_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES_1 View Post
OK

Car is a 2008 LB with the factory TPMS system installed.

Upgrading to 17" wheels/tires and ordered with sensors installed in the new wheels so I didn't have to pull them off wheels just to swap sensors. TR says I have to go to dealer to reset car for new wheel/sensors. Can't believe that it's much more than a simple procedure that one could do their self if they knew what button to push or something like that.

Paul_F
The 06-11 Yaris don't have a simple initialization, so you will have to go to the dealer or a tire shop for it. The TPMS ECU only remembers one set, so you will have to either buy an extra TPMS ECU and swap it when you swap wheels or go back and have it initialized each time.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
ARES_1

TPMS Initialization

I don't plan on swapping wheels again any time soon so that isn't an issue. It's nice to hear that maybe a tire shop can do the reset. I'll call around to a couple shops to see if they can do the job as the local dealer's hours don't match well with my work schedule.

Paul_F
Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Yes, a local shop should be able to do it for you. Should be around $40-50. Dealer would be more, I think maybe one "book hour".
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
ARES_1

What's (not) happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ Yes, a local shop should be able to do it for you. Should be around $40-50. Dealer would be more, I think maybe one "book hour".
Got the new wheels and tires put on and took her out for a ride to see how things felt. I kept waiting for a code error or warning light but I never got one. I know I've seen the the low pressure "tire" light on the dash before when I had a slow leak in a tire. So Is there any chance the new sensors synced to the car automatically?

Paul_F
Old 09-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES_1 View Post
Got the new wheels and tires put on and took her out for a ride to see how things felt. I kept waiting for a code error or warning light but I never got one. I know I've seen the the low pressure "tire" light on the dash before when I had a slow leak in a tire. So Is there any chance the new sensors synced to the car automatically?

Paul_F
No. It takes about 30 minutes of driving with not seeing the old sensors for the error light to come on. If the old tires with the sensors are sitting in the garage next to the car, it will resync each time you come home and prolong the error.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
ARES_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
No. It takes about 30 minutes of driving with not seeing the old sensors for the error light to come on. If the old tires with the sensors are sitting in the garage next to the car, it will resync each time you come home and prolong the error.
Guess I didn't run it for 30 minutes but at least the old tires are plenty far enough away so I shouldn't get the re-synch issue. I replaced my lower control arms at the same time so I didn't want to run it too far before I got her to the dealer for an alignment check. Thanks for the info. I do appreciate the resources this site has.

Paul_F
Old 09-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
ARES_1

TPMS Follow-up

Here's a tidbit that folks with a ScanGuage II might find helpful. When the Toyota mechanic went to initialize the new TPMS sensors, the car kept throwing a TPMS error and the light would come on. He even reset the sensors with the SC_II disconnected but the error would return as soon as he plugged it back in. We finally found that if you leave the SC_II disconnected for the 7-10 miles it takes to lock in the sensor ID's, then plug the SC_II back in, then all is fine. No more TPMS errors with or without the SC_II

Cheers,
Paul_F

Tags
tires, tpms, wheels