Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Iridium Sparkplugs Experiment

In a moment of weakness I bought a set of OEM GK iridium plugs for my wifes Camry. Its got 126k on it and has the original plugs. $40!

This was stupid because I had resolved, based on my experience of 40+ years fixing cars to never change them. I don't believe its necessary to change even regular plugs for the life of the car unless its burning oil or they become manifestly defective. This is because of unleaded gas and high energy 50,000 volt today vs 12,000 volt in the past ignition systems.

However its also my opinion based on the above that one still needs to r and r the plugs every 30k or so miles so they don't become seized. This I have not done Im sorry to say.

However I have resolved to have the old ones out. If they ARE stuck this will be impossible. We will see. I will examine the plugs and of theyre OK I will regap and clean them and reinstall them. I can get my money back. If not I'll put the new ones in.

It may take a while because Im old. Maybe one a week?

Stay tuned!