Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Damo

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-Door Hatch white
Fascia/brace help - buying new stereo

Greetings all!

Well, I just upgraded my 2007 Yaris to a 2011 one a few days ago, and for this car Im looking to get a new stereo.
Ive seen listings of different DIY brackets etc for mounting aftermarket stereos, but Im a little lost.

Ill be buying an Alpine iDA-X305S (Single DIN) head unit, but Im not sure what mounts/fascias/braces/etc Ill need.

Can anyone list me the parts Ill need to get this mounted into the center console neatly?

Ultimately, Im going to buy the stereo components and brackets, and give them to an installer to get it all installed professionally.
The dash looks exactly like this one pictured:

Thanks in advance!
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Iggy888

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback
Back in 2009 I installed a similar head unit (Alpine iDA-X100) in my Yaris.

Only two items were needed to complete my installation:

1. A dash kit, to mount the new head unit. I used Metra part # 99-8216 but there are some others out there.
The Metra kit comes with pieces that allow for mounting a new radio in either the Yaris hatchback or sedan.
This particular kit is both a mounting bracket and trim piece that neatly integrates a single DIN deck into the space occupied previously by a double DIN deck.

2. A Toyota wiring harness. I used Metra part #70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, simply join the various colour coded wires from the new head unit's wiring harness to the corresponding wires on your Toyota wiring harness.
Another alternative is to join the wires together using butt connectors and an inexpensive crimping tool.
Once the wiring harness connections are made, the new deck simply connects to the car wiring via two plugs.

All things considered, the installation was not difficult and I was able to do this myself.
You just need to pull some trim pieces loose to remove them and then use a philips screwdriver to remove the four screws which hold the existing radio in place.

The only thing that may make your installation challenging is that your picture shows a steering wheel with controls for the radio. If your car has steering wheel mounted controls and you wish to use them to control the new deck you will need something like the Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface or PAC SWI-JACK. These modules allow you to use your existing steering wheel controls with your new aftermarket radio.
Iggy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
kevin951
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 1.5 2007
Do I need to unplug the battery when I'm doing thing like that?
kevin951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Damo

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-Door Hatch white
Thanks Iggy, that's precisely the info I needed. The picture was not of my own car, and in fact mine doesn't have steering wheel radio controls, so it should be as simple a tasks you say - Thanks again!
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
Iggy888

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin951 View Post
Do I need to unplug the battery when I'm doing thing like that?
Yes. As a precaution, it is a good idea to disconnect the battery BEFORE you remove the stock radio and then re-connect it AFTER you install the new radio.

(Disconnecting/re-connecting the battery only takes a brief moment and a 10 mm socket or adjustable wrench.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo View Post
Thanks Iggy, that's precisely the info I needed. The picture was not of my own car, and in fact mine doesn't have steering wheel radio controls, so it should be as simple a tasks you say - Thanks again!
You are welcome Damo. If you want some more information on removing the trim pieces to get at the radio, please take a look at the following links:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22228

Last edited by Iggy888; 07-07-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Iggy888 is offline   Reply With Quote