Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #19
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlnblkdrs View Post
hah gene, ur funny..

i drive like an a-hole all the time.. but a very safe one!
I define "asshole" as someone who goes into onramps to pass, who uses shoulders, who pushes people through passing zones to pass them on the right, and so on.

I've heard that So-Cal drivers hit the pedal all of the time, which means that you either are keeping up with the herd or getting smashed from behind (and the latter on the highway doesn't sound like fun at all).

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:32 AM   #20
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
i make frequent lane changes to get around people who get in my way, i dont believe in using my blinkers unless there is police present, i have no problem riding someones ass if all lanes are being hogged at the same slow ass speed... i take my onramps at 60, loose offramps at like 60-70 and tight offramps at like 40...

many of these characteristics fit what most drivers characterize as asshole.. i dont use shoulders as there is too much debris there to pop my tires or cause other damage here.. and we dont have passing zones.. its a free for all...

dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #21
yarswiss
Albino truck smasher

Drives: '07 Yaris LB Auto
Quote:
i make frequent lane changes to get around people who get in my way, i dont believe in using my blinkers unless there is police present, i have no problem riding someones ass if all lanes are being hogged at the same slow ass speed... i take my onramps at 60, loose offramps at like 60-70 and tight offramps at like 40...

many of these characteristics fit what most drivers characterize as asshole.. i dont use shoulders as there is too much debris there to pop my tires or cause other damage here.. and we dont have passing zones.. its a free for all...
So YOU'RE the one!

Just kidding, I'll weave in and out of others like mad if I'm truly in a hurry, but I'm obsessive about using my blinkers. We gotta communicate some way while we're in that race known as "the road".

Lowest I ever got while intentionally trying to get the worst mileage possible was 31.5 mpg. Throttle to the floor the whole time, and going at speeds that I must plead the 5th on.
yarswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #22
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

in some places like SD if u use ur blinker, people speed up and dont let you in. i found it safer to watch peoples wheels to see if they are planning to move.. half the time they swerve just before hitting their blinker as they are half into the lane already....

Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #23
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Does anyone get a certain smell when they hammer it out at high speeds, cough cough HIGH, speeds? Just curious is all. I do alot of stop and go and shutting my car off after short distances (delivering pizza two nights a week while finish school) and sometimes when I get on the freeway, I'll nail the gas hard all the way up to a certain HIGH speed and then I'll smell a strong exhaust odor. Not quite the leaky exhaust smell but more like a heavier odor. I'm just assuming it's all the carbon getting blown out from constant stop and go, being shut off and turned on a ton of times, etc from few days of delivering and then when I finally get it to the highway, letting it rip.

Any guesses from anyone?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #24
smacky

Drives: 2008 Liftback AT
Speeding, tailgating and not using indicators is not being,as you put it, a very safe a-hole, it's simply being an a-hole.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #25
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky View Post
Speeding, tailgating and not using indicators is not being,as you put it, a very safe a-hole, it's simply being an a-hole.
what's so hard about reaching over to that little lever and flipping it while you're changing lanes anyway?

and tailgating is by far the most retarded thing you could ever do on the highway. you're basically just ASKING to have an accident, not to mention being automatically at fault no matter what you tell the cop.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #26
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
YW rule #74: if you have a turbo and he has a CleanMPG signature, don't even bother trying to argue. You won't see eye to eye on anything.

Lowest I can seem to get is a little over 30 MPG, although I'm becoming more and more of a conservative driver as I get older. I definitely don't tear it up like I did when I first got it.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #27
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
YW rule #74: if you have a turbo and he has a CleanMPG signature, don't even bother trying to argue. You won't see eye to eye on anything.

Lowest I can seem to get is a little over 30 MPG, although I'm becoming more and more of a conservative driver as I get older. I definitely don't tear it up like I did when I first got it.
i wasn't arguing with him, i was agreeing with him :)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #28
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Does anyone get a certain smell when they hammer it out at high speeds, cough cough HIGH, speeds? Just curious is all. I do alot of stop and go and shutting my car off after short distances (delivering pizza two nights a week while finish school) and sometimes when I get on the freeway, I'll nail the gas hard all the way up to a certain HIGH speed and then I'll smell a strong exhaust odor. Not quite the leaky exhaust smell but more like a heavier odor. I'm just assuming it's all the carbon getting blown out from constant stop and go, being shut off and turned on a ton of times, etc from few days of delivering and then when I finally get it to the highway, letting it rip.

Any guesses from anyone?
There's a TSB to fix that, some issue with the catalytic converter

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #29
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

i maintain enough of a distance that i can stop.. i know about accidents, i take accident reports for an insurance company as my job, so dont get me started on that... i just make it apparent that they need to locate the gas pedal..

how are blinkers any safer than than not using them? i dont cut people off, i make safe lane changes without blinkers.. i wont changed lanes until i can see at least their tires in my sideview mirror.. which means they are quite a bit away. i get cut off by people with blinkers.. they just put it on and move in as if they are pushing you out of the way in the crowd. like i said before, i watch people to see if they are going to move, i see a lot that others dont. i spend most of my drive looking at all the accident possibilities.. like "if i were to slide off this bridge right now or slam into that pole, would i survive" and start labelling peoples fault in accidents there were almost in.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #30
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
and tailgating is by far the most retarded thing you could ever do on the highway. you're basically just ASKING to have an accident, not to mention being automatically at fault no matter what you tell the cop.
especially if your yaris has no ABS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
There's a TSB to fix that, some issue with the catalytic converter
only for 2007 models....
BLAZINBLUEVITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #31
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Turn signals are a courtesy. Not using them DOES make you an asshole. Sorry.

Example of how not using turn signals is unsafe:

You're in the left of three lanes going your direction. You want to get into the center lane in front of a large vehicle. Someone else is in the right lane and wants to get into the same space. Both of you make the move quite rapidly and without using turn signals. Both of you are focused on your mirrors to be sure you're clear of the large vehicle in the center lane. See where this is going? Been there before?

Sure, you can't completely avoid that situation, it's going to happen from time to time. But, don't you think that a bright flashing turn signal might help you to notice that other vehicle a little sooner? Or that YOUR bright flashing turn signal might help THEM to notice YOU a little sooner?

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #32
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

if both vehicles are at the exact same point and they are, as you say so focused on their mirrors to make sure they clear it.. how are they to see this blinker when it is ont he front and rear of your vehicle.. i dont gaze into my mirror like that totally sounded.. i check my mirrors, begin my move, check again, poof im in.. im scanning as im moving really.. check all mirrors and on the road, making sure all is clear the entire time.. i have never encountered the incident you are describing because of this..

but we are getting off topic.. hardcore..

Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #33
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
no ABS FTW

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #34
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
i check my mirrors, begin my move, check again, poof im in.. im scanning as im moving really.. check all mirrors and on the road, making sure all is clear the entire time.. i have never encountered the incident you are describing because of this..

but we are getting off topic.. hardcore..
Okay, you've accounted for yourself... but what about the OTHER idiot? What if he's not as alert and aware as you are? You still don't see how using your turn signal might help? If not, forget it.

Yes we're way off-topic.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #35
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Nice way to hijack my thread...

just joking..but really, please by all means talk about what you have to, I don't mind. This isn't just about "me". This is a forum, it's based on opinionated discussions regardless of the "topic" that's at hand.

Just my two cents, that's my biggest thing I can't stand the most is people that just cruise around and cut lanes with no signals. It makes me so upset because it's SO EASY just to touch the damn thing and let someone know "hey buddy I'm coming over, get ready for me!" instead of just wizzing the hell around and endangering lives. Contrary to popular belief, a turn signal does infact save lives.

It's almost as bad as the motherfathers who drive around without working brake lights. Now THAT is grounds for being upset at someone.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #36
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

loren, im not that dense to continuing entering the lane.. if someone else wants it, i will give it to them. im a very curteous driver... if i see someone(not driving a luxury veh.. lol yea ass move again.. lol) who is looking to get over, into my lane.. even if i have to drop 20 mph, i will let them in. the only road rage i really get is for some of the people you guys are mentioning, cutting people off. there is no reason to cut someone off.. i make my lane changes with a good distance between me and the next vehicle.. it just makes sense.... idk, i guess you just have to drive in the car with me to understand...