Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:57 AM   #19
kuyachris84

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but since you voted for one of those long shot candidates (read-threw your vote away) can you direct me to a website that can show the results of the write in votes for president, I.e the other never gonna win like ronald McDonald, Chuck e. Cheese, Ralph Nader, BatMan.....

I'm serious, I like to look at the ignorant side of the U.s voter who decides to waste their vote and not vote for either of the two "domineering" parties....
don't forget mickey mouse... he ends up in those write-in votes lol
Old 11-05-2008, 03:16 AM   #20
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MPGDream View Post
as usual, well put Gene, continue to keep your chin up

I can see the LP coming out stronger after a botched liberal controlled government. After carter dropped the ball Reagan picked it up proclaimed "government is not the solution to the problem, government is the problem" a theory many of us still hold dear. Perhaps the gov't getting bigger, then not delivering on the promise of hope/change quite the way the Obama supporters have hoped for, then getting knocked down a few rungs will get more people to discover this.
Even if the LP doesn't cut it, the ideas might work well. Many recent Nobel Prizes in Economics were awarded to Economics who were sympathetic to Libertarian ideas. Especially Hayek.

Liberals aren't into business and generating wealth. They're into controlling shit. As a consequence they're already behind the eight ball for the next two years. They cannot blame Bush while slapping on regulations, Card Check and Global Warming bullshit that kill jobs, on top of a recession and heavy inflation.

I'm glad that someone from Chicago is voting Libertarian. Considering that your town hosts one of the best Economics Schools in the World one would think that Libertarianism is a acceptable to some there.

Gene

Last edited by GeneW; 11-05-2008 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:24 AM   #21
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Enjoy the circus, Malaya. Your man ain't ready for this shit and even if he is, you ain't. You'll realize it the first time you're in a gasoline line.

Gene

circus? no, thank you! been there, done that, when we toppled a dictator in '86!

been in much worst situation than this, this is going to be a walk in a park for me.

what's great about history is that, you learn from it!

i'm more ready than you will ever be gene, experience and time are on my side...keep your head up and never despair old champ!

Last edited by Malaya1221; 11-05-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 AM   #22
50MPGDream

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 93 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
Oscar Wilde decribed a cynic as 'A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing'.

Can't help but feel sorry for this man(gene)...
"And while the Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress." Barack Obama 11/4/2008

you don't seem to be healing any sort of divides, it looks to me like you are pouring salt in a wound
Old 11-05-2008, 04:48 AM   #23
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MPGDream View Post
"And while the Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress." Barack Obama 11/4/2008

you don't seem to be healing any sort of divides, it looks to me like you are pouring salt in a wound
i felt sorry for his cynical views because i was a cynic myself. other than that, learned lots of thing from gene's point of views.

fyi: not part of democratic party, just voted for the man!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #24
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
Thumbs up

Change is not coming IT'S HERE!!!! :c lap::cla p:

suggestions always welcome
Old 11-05-2008, 07:22 AM   #25
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
I am BEYOND BEYOND thrilled! History has been made, and I have never EVER been more proud to be an American...certainly not in the past 8 years.

I cried happy tears when Obama won. Possibilities seem truly limitless.

The word can't no longer exists.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #26
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
I've never watched an election so closely before. I'm glad that he won. I'm sorry, but the Replublicans put us into the mess we're in now along with their not so fearless leader, Bush.

I'm looking foward and hope that Barack does in fact stay true to what he has proposed.

I really mid the mid to late 90's with Clinton in office, I think that's when everything was great all around in my lifetime so far.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 AM   #27
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
Congrats to the new President of the US.
Remember each and everyone of us will be watching you. The ones who are not starstruck will do so with clear sight. I hope and pray that you are the type of President who will "get things done" without harming the US.
To those of you that are celebrating- There is nothing to celebrate now- the road is ahead of you, the path laid out. Navigate the way then celebrate.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #28
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
anyone notice a Canadian started this thread ? :)
Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #29
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Just glad we have a new president. We are ready for change
Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #30
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Something Gene said caught my attention. Why does the U.S. have to keep supporting Israel? I never understood why it's a such a big deal to most Republicans to support them.
It seems like they are just as crazy as the Palestinians. I say let those crazy people sort there own mess out. Just my two cents.
Obama is better than the alternative considering the Libertarian party has a way to go before they are taken seriously.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #31
Callisto

Drives: '08 Hatch
I think that the current administration and most of the house and senate are traitors and should be tried as such. This is because when they take office they swear an oath:

House

"I, (name of Member), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

Senate

Same

Presidency

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Note that these oaths do not state anything about undercutting, violating, or otherwise ignoring/harming the bits of the constitution with which they do not agree.

Obama will get my support if he begins acting like a real president. Using his veto power when anything in violation of the constitution goes across his desk. He (and the house/senate) needs to realize that the federal government is a special purpose government created to perform only a few, very limited (in scope, not necessarily magnitude) tasks, and that they cannot simply ignore that charter, without violating the oath that they swear upon taking office.

The president is the chief executive, it is his charge to execute the laws of the United States FAITHFULLY, that means, NOT enforcing laws which are in violation of the constitution just as much as actively enforcing the laws which are constitutionally sound. Many laws made by congress overstep the bounds of the constitution, and they are void. United States v. Lopez 514 U.S. 549.

This man has an incredible opportunity, a president with a true mandate from the people. I hope he uses it well.

In closing

"Well I didn't vote for him, but he's my President now and I hope he does a good job."

-John Wayne, upon learning that Kennedy had defeated Nixon.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #32
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
"Well I didn't vote for him, but he's my President now and I hope he does a good job."

-John Wayne, upon learning that Kennedy had defeated Nixon.

In the movies, John Wayne was a hero. In real life, he was an alcoholic, a womanizer, and an abusive father. Who really cares what John Wayne said or thought? He really was profoundly uninteresting.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #33
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Regardless of who you guys voted for, I feel like I should commend each and every one who voted. I followed the election and didn't read about too many voting problems and almost no riots. Considering that this has been the biggest US voter turnout in history, I would say your government did a good job this time around!

I sincerely hope that the US gets a better reputation internationally with Obama in power. Judging from what I've read from people in different countries, he's already on the right track.

Felicidades, USA!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #34
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
I sincerely hope that the US gets a better reputation internationally with Obama in power. Judging from what I've read from people in different countries, he's already on the right track.
The nice thing is we already have.

I am so proud of my country today, but what Obama said in his speech last night has resonated. This was step one on a long road, and to everyone who avidly supported and/or volunteered for Obama... our work isn't finished. It is time to step up and do something. Serve your communities. Enter the military. Do something to legitimize this enormous movement we have created from the ground up.

I really think this next four years could be the best four yet.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #35
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but since you voted for one of those long shot candidates (read-threw your vote away) can you direct me to a website that can show the results of the write in votes for president, I.e the other never gonna win like ronald McDonald, Chuck e. Cheese, Ralph Nader, BatMan.....

I'm serious, I like to look at the ignorant side of the U.s voter who decides to waste their vote and not vote for either of the two "domineering" parties....

Voting for someone that doesn't have a chance doesn't mean you threw your vote away, It shows your idea of a who a good president would be. You don't vote for someone based on if they will win or lose. z.B. "I will vote for Obama/McCain because I think he will win."

(Even though the votes really don't mean too much anyway...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
The nice thing is we already have.

I am so proud of my country today, but what Obama said in his speech last night has resonated. This was step one on a long road, and to everyone who avidly supported and/or volunteered for Obama... our work isn't finished. It is time to step up and do something. Serve your communities. Enter the military. Do something to legitimize this enormous movement we have created from the ground up.

I really think this next four years could be the best four yet.
What?!? You mean we will have to do stuff? I thought Obama was gonna make life awesome by himself with his pixie dust! LOL. I didn't need Obama to give me some motivation to do something good in my community...
Old 11-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #36
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
well it's going to be nice to hear an intelligent voice coming from the whitehouse for a change!

i think the world will be much better off with obama as president, even though he's got a lot of work to do and a big-ass mess to clean up.
Closed Thread